Is too much fruit bad for you ?

Options
Hey I have been having lots of berry smoothies made with water so not high in calories but my friends say fruit is full of sugar and can slow down weight loss is this correct ?

Replies

• sarahjane0585
    sarahjane0585 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for you advice
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "lots"? If you're having multiple fruit and water smoothies per day and not eating fat, protein, carbs, etc. as well then it can be an issue.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Hey I have been having lots of berry smoothies made with water so not high in calories but my friends say fruit is full of sugar and can slow down weight loss is this correct ?

Define 'lots'. I have a green smoothie almost every day, today it had blueberries and a banana for the fruit. I'll probably have a serving of pineapple later today. Within the context of my overall diet, 3 servings of fruit fits in nicely :)
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason you need to cut back on sugar, I would just enjoy the fruit! Plus, berries are among the fruits with the lowest amount of sugar anyway.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There can be health issues with eating a significant amount of fruit, but it's more along the lines of, "I love clementines. In season, I can eat 6 at one sitting. BUT the citric acid gives me cankers if I do that too frequently." Or, well, prunes may have the reputation for being a natural laxative, but there are other fruits with that effect. But if you aren't consuming to the point where this is a problem, then it's not a problem.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Your friends probably heard that sugar is the devil from an article on Facebook. Or they’ve heard that going low carb is the only way to lose weight. I’m not sayings don’t listen to your friends, but maybe take their weight loss tips with a grain of salt. Calories in < calories out.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits within your calorie goals, it is fine. It's just important to realize that some fruits are fairly high in calories, so it's possible you may need to moderate them to reach your goals. But if you are hitting your goals with your current fruit intake, then you shouldn't worry about.
  • sarahjane0585
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "lots"? If you're having multiple fruit and water smoothies per day and not eating fat, protein, carbs, etc. as well then it can be an issue.

Really only having one berry smoothie a day
    Mostly blackberry’s and raspberry’s sometimes a little banana
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    As long as it's not crowding out other nutrients, have at it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There are so many headline/click-bait experts out there it is hard not to have at least one of them as a friend. If you maintain a calorie deficit there is nothing off-limits. There is some satisfaction in eating a fast food burger and having a friend say something like "I thought you were trying to lose weight." and answering "I am. Right now."

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging your smoothies? Do they fit into your calorie goals? Are you getting plenty of protein?

Your friends are wrong about sugar stopping weight loss, period. But it's common for people to make king sized smoothies equivalent to several servings of fruit at once which may not be the best choice within their diet as a whole. Drinking calories is less satisfying than eating them, for most people. And making them with water means it's basically a serving of pulverized fruit which may be less satisfying for you than a higher calorie but smaller smoothie incorporating some high-protein dairy like Greek yogurt, and even some fats like nut butters. Log it, take a look at your diet as a whole, and see what you think!

Incidentally berries are one of the lower-sugar choices you can make, as far as fruit is concerned. I'm a type 2 diabetic and often eat berries because they are low in sugar compared to other sweet foods. They are also pretty low in calories. Just weigh them and know how much you are having!
  • sarahjane0585
    Options
    Not sure how to reply individually but thanks everyone you all have been a good help x
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    People are stupid. A bunch of fruit is not an Oreo cookie. If you aren't diabetic, it's not "too much sugar".
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I know I didn't develop my weight problem because of the fruit I eat, it's all the other junk that's the problem!
    Don't forget all those lovely vitamins your getting are a benefit.

Knock yourself out with the smoothie if you like it. Personally I would eat it as a bowl of fruit with a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt, just because it feels more substantial and fills me up for longer. But that's just personal choice.