Gained Fat & Strength? Anyone else experience this?

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
So this morning is my first legit foray into the gym since I got pregnant with my son 5+ years ago. Mind you he is 4.5 and he is active. I'm always picking him up, wrestling with him and playing with him. Recently I tried to race him and pulled my calf muscle. That's when I said "Times up" on my laziness. I want to be able to run and play and jump right along with him until he doesn't want me to.

So I go into the gym today strictly to see where I'm at. I am absolutely obese and over fat I gained 70lbs in my pregnancy. But...Now, I'm stronger. Like a lot stronger than I was pre-pregnancy. MY MIND IS BLOWN. Like at least 25% stronger. The weights I was able to lift for certain lifts was absolute 25% heavier than before.

Naturally I want to preserve every bit of muscle I have earned since I had my son. But I was seriously expecting to be weaker, not stronger.

So I'm lifting weights right now with caloric deficits but Man I want to preserve that muscle. As a mother who may one day be tasked with saving my child, I never ever want to lose that strength.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, mass moves mass.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you wore a 70lb weighted vest 24x7 day after day and stayed active I'm sure you would expect to get stronger.

Marvellous motivation to keep up with your son as he grows.

You could do the Milo of Croton thing with him......
    I'm sure he wouldn't be at all embarrassed to be carried to school on your shoulders every day until he fully grown. ;)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can be fat and strong. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less and move more.