Nervous about trying out boxing

Options
I’ve wanted to try out boxing for a couple of years now. I really love watching boxing fights and MMA on tv. I’ve never been interested in any other sport. I think that I could find it fun. Plus, I want to get into shape and pick up a new hobby.

However, I’ve been putting it off for so long because in my head the idea of joining a boxing gym feels really nerve-wracking. I’m not fit. I’ve never been a very coordinated person or good at sport generally.

Plus, I’m quite shy, and I feel like I’ll feel quite intimidated, especially as it’s such a male-dominated sport (I’m female).

Basically looking to hear any advice, or hear about anyone else’s experiences with this or something similar. Thanks.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Don't worry about where you are starting out. I train in Krav Maga, which is an Israeli martial art that incorporates a fair amount of boxing into it. When I started out, I was horribly out of shape. I was basically being lapped by everyone in the gym. Old guys, women, kids, etc. But nobody ever judged me. Everyone was super supportive and always tried to help and encourage me. I started about 4 months ago, and have made a ton of improvement in that time. I'm still towards the bottom of the pack, but so much better than where I was.

Boxing is fun, a great workout, and a good foundational tool for self defense. Don't feel intimidated as woman. First of all, there may be more women than you think there. My gym has been steadily growing the number of women attending, and I'd say they make up about 30% of the members now. Self defense is important to everyone, but especially women. Second, all the guys there should be helpful and supportive, and not creepy. If they are, then you are at the wrong gym, but nobody at my gym ever tries to be intimidating towards the women training there.

3i7toz1ve7p8.jpg

I hope you give it a shot. It will be difficult at first, and you may feel like giving up, but try to push through. You will keep improving. Most gyms should let you try at least 1 class out for free, so you have nothing to lose!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Have you visited any of the boxing gyms in your area? If not, I would recommend you do so and speak with some of the people there. Coaches and students. You may find that many of them started out in your shoes.
  • milkyfudge72
    milkyfudge72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I avoided pur boxing gym for years a d years and finally mustered up the courage to go.....best workouts if my life! I would also say it was very hard...but I stuck with it....some people were inviting and some maybe not so much.....had to stop for awhe..now I'm trying g to get the courage to go back!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Boxing is great! Go check out some gyms as suggested above. I used to do a boxing/kickboxing class at my gym and it was great.

In the past I've done various martial arts classes too, in some cases I was the only girl (like when I tried Muay Thai once), but it has never been a problem, the guys were always courteous and made me feel fine.

I think looks way scarier than it actually is.

Go do it - it's worth it!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! I never had an desire to try it but then my gym ran a 1yr women’s boxing fitness group. It changed my life and I fell in love. I don’t fight. I’ll do mitt work or light sparring if I have a partner and do lots of heavy bag drills. It’s therapeutic for me now. I can leave all of my stress at the bag plus get a killer workout u5ac9fiu75ap.jpeg
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don’t have experience with boxing but with any sport or hobby everyone starts at the bottom. I always wanted to be a runner but I held myself back because I didn’t want to fail, I didn’t think I was fit enough, I didn’t want to make a fool of myself. But the thing is if you never start then you never even give yourself the chance to get better and enjoy it.

I actually started running in September and everyone I know in the running community has been super supportive and awesome. And I’d bet you experience the same thing with boxing.
  • nidhijadhav1
    nidhijadhav1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to be very nervous to try out classes such as boxing, body pump, and rpm because just like you I thought I was a very unfit person to try any of this. I used to have a mentality that after I increase my cardiac health I can join! But it honestly is such a silly thought! We go to classes to improve our health and shouldn’t use the excuse of being “unfit” for it. Also, most people attending the classes are also new and have zero experience as well and that’s ok because you are going for you! 😁 One day I got sick of saying I was unfit to try and I just attended the classes and it is so fun! Once you go to one you just don’t care after! 😂 Now I go to classes regularly!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    When you say "trying out boxing" do you mean boxing as a sport? Do you plan on sparring or actually participating in amateur boxing matches or are you just talking about doing a boxing type workout? If it's more of the workout and not actually the sport I'd not worry - but I would however, try to find a gym that is more focused on that type of thing and not the more "hard core" gyms you might accidentally wander into. If you are interested in the actual sport - check in and see if you can find a good coach. A good coach/trainer is going to make all the difference.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I loooooove boxing! The classes at the gym I go to are great and have a variety of punching-bags/circuit-training exercises so you're switching up what you're doing every few rounds, and there's a good mix of men and women. If your gym has them, see if you can take an intro class - that way you can see how you like it before committing to a membership/purchasing the gear (usually just gloves and handwraps). That also helps eliminate the newbie-aaaah-don't-know-what-I'm-doing feeling!
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    When you say "trying out boxing" do you mean boxing as a sport? Do you plan on sparring or actually participating in amateur boxing matches or are you just talking about doing a boxing type workout?

At least in the US, to legally participate in sparring you have to be registered USA boxing athlete. Thank goodness, I like punching stuff but don't want to get punched myself!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Do it! You'll gain so much confidence.
  • jlgmfp
    jlgmfp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you visited any of the boxing gyms in your area? If not, I would recommend you do so and speak with some of the people there. Coaches and students. You may find that many of them started out in your shoes.

Not yet, I’ve looked around on google and have found a beginners course which I think I might try out, and they offer a free first session to see what it’s like. Thanks for the encouragement, guess everyone’s got to start somewhere.
  • jlgmfp
    Options
    When you say "trying out boxing" do you mean boxing as a sport? Do you plan on sparring or actually participating in amateur boxing matches or are you just talking about doing a boxing type workout? If it's more of the workout and not actually the sport I'd not worry - but I would however, try to find a gym that is more focused on that type of thing and not the more "hard core" gyms you might accidentally wander into. If you are interested in the actual sport - check in and see if you can find a good coach. A good coach/trainer is going to make all the difference.

I’d be interested in trying out sparring eventually. I’m not really into the idea of just doing boxfit or something similar, I like the idea of there actually being combat at some point, gives me more of a sense of purpose I think. I’ll make sure to try and find a decent coach/trainer. Thanks for the advice.
  • jlgmfp
    Options
    I used to be very nervous to try out classes such as boxing, body pump, and rpm because just like you I thought I was a very unfit person to try any of this. I used to have a mentality that after I increase my cardiac health I can join! But it honestly is such a silly thought! We go to classes to improve our health and shouldn’t use the excuse of being “unfit” for it. Also, most people attending the classes are also new and have zero experience as well and that’s ok because you are going for you! 😁 One day I got sick of saying I was unfit to try and I just attended the classes and it is so fun! Once you go to one you just don’t care after! 😂 Now I go to classes regularly!

I’m glad someone can relate haha. It is silly when you think about it, seeing as though the whole point is to get fitter. And even if I’m rubbish when I start out I’ll improve eventually. Thank you 😊
  • jlgmfp
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Go for it!! I never had an desire to try it but then my gym ran a 1yr women’s boxing fitness group. It changed my life and I fell in love. I don’t fight. I’ll do mitt work or light sparring if I have a partner and do lots of heavy bag drills. It’s therapeutic for me now. I can leave all of my stress at the bag plus get a killer workout u5ac9fiu75ap.jpeg

That’s very motivating, thank you! Hoping I end up getting as into it as you have!
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    jlgmfp wrote: »

I’d be interested in trying out sparring eventually. I’m not really into the idea of just doing boxfit or something similar, I like the idea of there actually being combat at some point, gives me more of a sense of purpose I think. I’ll make sure to try and find a decent coach/trainer. Thanks for the advice.

I boxed in my basement, their was full gear. never fought in the ring..my dad did he was 2-0.. he quit due to my older brother came along and finding a career was more important at the time, I fought buddy's in the basement we would get together and fight a few rounds. I ended up getting in a street fight once and this was a plus to know boxing, the guy I was up against was a weekend fighter and was taller and bigger and older. I was able to pick him apart and win