Keto does this sound right??

Options
Hi all just started Keto, do you think this sounds right?? 63% fat, 17% carbs 20 % protein?? Please help!! πŸ‘πŸΌ thanks

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How many grams of carbs does that come out to at your calorie goal? I don't do keto, but I believe that is the deciding factor.
  • shivi484
    shivi484 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ah ok thanks!! Wow I’m way over eating on carbs then πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ do you k ow why the max carb % is as I find it so hard as carbs literally in everything!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    shivi484 wrote: Β»
    Hi all just started Keto, do you think this sounds right?? 63% fat, 17% carbs 20 % protein?? Please help!! πŸ‘πŸΌ thanks
    Nope- Keto looks more like 70% F, 25% P, and 5% carbs.

Actually, the only thing that is required to create nutritional ketosis in the body is low carbs, usually less than 30 grams per day. Some medically prescribed keto diets (used for seizure disorders and the like) require that protein be kept low, but for the general public, the protein can go higher than 25%. The 'high' fat is only used as a filler for people who need something to replace the carbs with (in terms of calories) - it does not, by itself, drive nutritional ketosis.

Note - this is my n=1 experience, but I routinely eat 150 or more grams of protein a day (upwards of 40% of my intake or higher), and I have no trouble maintaining ketosis.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto carbs are usually under 20-50g a day. Some go higher if active and timing carbs around exercise.

Protei is usually moderate. 20% might be a bit low if you have low calories. Around 0.8g per lb body weight at maintenance is thought to be enough protein for most.
  • shivi484
    shivi484 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It says I’ve had 49g carbs 59g protein and 83g fats I’ve still got cals to eat but don’t get hungry no more πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
  • missyelliott69
    missyelliott69 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    hi shivi - yes i rarely get hungry on keto - providing you are eating enough fats it will keep hunger at bay (for some). for a great tool telling you what you should be aiming for with your macros on keto based on your personal statistics try thew ruled.me keto calculator. I used it to help me decide what my goal should be.

my calcultor showed me i should take 135g fats, 20g carbs and 67g protein.

Also make sure you are looking at your net carbs. Carbs-fiber=net carbs. Sorry if you already know this.