Calling all vegetarians!

Options
treggy23
treggy23 Posts: 10 Member
Hi.
I'm back, more determined to loose at least 2 stone.
However, I lack protein in my diet. (I don't eat meat substitutes, just don't like them at all.)
I've had Greek yoghurt, protein granola and honey for breakfast, so am happy with that.
Can anyone else give me some recipes please that you cook and love please? I'm happy to cook from scratch, but like lots of flavours. I know that beans, nuts, pulses etc carry protein but feel that I'd need so much my poor tummy would suffer. (Pity my family!). Many thanks!

Replies

• AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow veggie! I struggle with getting protein in my diet too! Do you like quorn? I try to use quorn pieces & mince to get my protein. Lots you can make with the mince like spaghetti bolognese, cottage pie & tacos. You could add banana in to your breakfast too. I'm terrible at cooking so I'm sorry I can't really help 🙈.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Add 100g of frozen peas to recipes. 5-6g protein per 100g
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, veggies..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat and you don't want to eat meat substitutes or beans, the options for higher protein foods are going to be fairly limited.

There's tofu, tempeh, soy products (like milk and yogurt), and you've also got the option of using plant-based protein powders (hemp, rice, soy, pea) as well as protein powders based on milk or egg (if you eat those foods).

Any chance of reconsidering your stance on beans? You don't need that many to meet your needs for protein and they're an affordable and nutrient-rich option, especially for those who like cooking from scratch.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, veggies..

None of those things are especially high in protein per calorie. They have protein in them, but for many people they don’t work well as the only source of protein, since you’d need to eat a lot of calories worth of beans or nuts to meeet minimum protein requirements.

OP, one thing I do is mix protein powder with my Greek yogurt, which would be a simple change to your current routine. Otherwise, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and TVP are generally going to give you the most vegetarian protein per calorie. All of those things have subtle flavors of their own and can be seasoned however you’d like, or added to other dishes.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cheese, milk (and other dairy), peanut butter, tofu, lentils...

Just make sure whatever you're eating fits into a calorie deficit.
  • Razzle4012
    Razzle4012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m veggie too but get most protien from protien shakes, bars etc. If it wasn’t for those I would never hit my target. The items mentioned above is also a good filler :-)
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I get protein from beans. I have eaten black beans my whole life (Hispanic household), but have you considered upping your legume intake bit by bit?

From what I seem to remember, sprouted lentils are easier to digest, and lentils pack a good protein punch. You could try making a stew or soup from sprouted lentils.

Lentils are awesome. I regularly buy Trader Joe's Ancient Grains Lentil Soup. It's delicious and there are two servings in one container, so it ends up being a decently priced meal.
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Beans, nuts, veggies..

None of those things are especially high in protein per calorie. They have protein in them, but for many people they don’t work well as the only source of protein, since you’d need to eat a lot of calories worth of beans or nuts to meeet minimum protein requirements.

OP, one thing I do is mix protein powder with my Greek yogurt, which would be a simple change to your current routine. Otherwise, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and TVP are generally going to give you the most vegetarian protein per calorie. All of those things have subtle flavors of their own and can be seasoned however you’d like, or added to other dishes.

I guess it all depends on how much protein you think you need. I get plenty without eating meat, fish, eggs, dairy. 😊
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm a big fan of many recipes in Plenty by Yottam Ottolengi, Fresh India by Meera Sodha, and Bosh! - all veggie/vegan