Is a calorie in a calorie out?

Options
So it seem when anyone tries a diet they choose a typical diet like Keto, vegan, or what ever else. And I’ve been on that train many times and have tried every diet....... for a couple weeks lol. 25 days ago I started my new diet at 245lbs and I ate very clean and Whole Foods and my calories was normally around 600cals. Although it was a breeze at first I got to where I hated it with everything in me. Not enjoying foods I loved made it feel impossible to stick too. Now I really eat mostly Whole Foods but there is some fast foods and other thing that don’t belong in most diets. But I’m down 15lbs now and still loosing and feel great about it.

But my real question is a calorie in a calorie out? As in is all someone needs to do is cut calories and they will loose weight instead restricting the types of food they eat? I feel guilty about eating 1200cals of pizza and other foods but I still remain under my calorie limit. But if I remain on this path will I continue to loose and it this a good idea? Like I said I still eat mostly healthy I just allow those tasty foods when they arrive as long I stay under my goal lol.

Any advice or answers would be awesome!

Replies

• brianblackburn16
    Options
    I eat now around 1500 a day. I was just saying when I started that’s what I took in but that’s not the case now. Thanks though for taking my question! I appreciate it!
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You should look at the amount of calories that you should be eating for a woman i'm sure it's around 1500 ??? but i'm not sure and if you are active you should eat more! So some good news for you. However 600 cal's way to low.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP are you male or female? If male (I’m going solely by user name) then even 1500 cals is likely too low for you.

What are your stats - age, height, weight, goal weight?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide?

To answer your question yes a calorie is just a calorie in terms of unit of energy and it’s impact on your energy balance (ie weight).
    Many successful people here aim for a primarily nutrient dense diet that allows for treats in moderation. Nothing wrong with pizza, Oreos, fast food, etc if it is part of an overall balanced diet.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yes, it doesn't matter what the calories are. There was a guy who did a study where he ate nothing but Twinkies, and he lost weight as expected.

There are some slight differences between the amount of calories required to digest different foods, but for most people the percentage of daily calories out going to digestion is basically meaningless. Worrying about it is majoring in the minors.

Now, different foods do have a different effect on health, but as long as you are getting enough nutrients from a variety of foods, you can eat a few meals of junk food without needing to feel guilty about it.
  • brianblackburn16
    Options
    You should look at the amount of calories that you should be eating for a woman i'm sure it's around 1500 ??? but i'm not sure and if you are active you should eat more! So some good news for you. However 600 cal's way to low.

WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP are you male or female? If male (I’m going solely by user name) then even 1500 cals is likely too low for you.

What are your stats - age, height, weight, goal weight?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    What calorie goal did MFP provide?

To answer your question yes a calorie is just a calorie in terms of unit of energy and it’s impact on your energy balance (ie weight).
    Many successful people here aim for a primarily nutrient dense diet that allows for treats in moderation. Nothing wrong with pizza, Oreos, fast food, etc if it is part of an overall balanced diet.

I am a 21yo male and mfp told me to eat around 1900 since I’m fairly active. But I typically eat below 1500. But I do go over but very rarely. 1500 has me very satisfied so I like it lol. Thanks for all the help!

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    1500 is the absolute lowest you should be eating and that's if you're short and sedentary.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, calories are the only thing that matters.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah eat the 1900 +some exercise calories.
    I would have difficulty being satisfied on 1500 cals and I'm petite.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1900! All of them. You'll thank us later if/when you learn why. If you don't want to learn why, just eat the 1900 and trust the consensus.

You're not doing yourself any favors by trying to accelerate the goal.

Eat the 1900!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    you need to eat AT LEAST the 1900 recommended by MFP AND at least half of your exercise calories. You may want to consider talking to a professional.

but no i never felt the need to do any fancy diet. The first two times i went on a weight loss journey (both times loosing 100lbs) i was working with dieticians who helped me develop a plan. no foods were out of the question. This third go i've lost 43pds on my own using the skills learned during the previous two journeys.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    1900 may be too low for an active 21 yo but you should definitely start eating the full amount NOW and then adjust depending on how fast you are losing weight.

This is not something to get through as fast as you can. This is one of the reasons why so many diets fail or end in weight regaining. You are risking more than that because you are risking your health. 1500 is the minimum for
    SOME men but it is NOT the minimum for you. I doubt 1900 is the minimum for you.