Just became a Diabetic

Options
Please help me. My glucose this week at Drs. Office was 126. Which is Diabetic I am so scared, not sure what to eat. I love cookies,candy. Not a big fruit eater and don't like salads or veggies. Where do I start?
What do I do?
Please advise me

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A 126 is still in the Pre-Diabetic range so you likely have time to fix this. What was your A1C?

Most doctors aren't going to do much for you as a diabetic. They will tell you to eat better, exercise and send you out the door with a prescription or two but not much info beyond that. Visit a quality nutritionist.

The easiest thing to do is find an exercise you enjoy and commit to it and start making small changes to the food you eat. Learn what a serving is to start. Get a food scale. Look into a Low carb way of eating.

5 years as a Type 2 and I reversed it to the point that I take no pills and have no sugar issues at this point. It's about smart food choices and a commitment to exercise.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    lane0330 wrote: »
    Please help me. My glucose this week at Drs. Office was 126. Which is Diabetic I am so scared, not sure what to eat. I love cookies,candy. Not a big fruit eater and don't like salads or veggies. Where do I start?
    What do I do?
    Please advise me

I'm puzzled. If this was discovered at the doctor's office, why did you come here to ask us? Did the doctor not explain anything after the diagnosis? Weren't there any suggestions made about what to eat, or what to do.

I'm pre-diabetic, and the doctor gave me a food list with suggestions of "Foods to Avoid", "Foods in Small Quantities", and "Foods with No Restrictions". Also suggested increased exercise, and loss of a small amount of weight. This would vary and I don't know your weight or how much loss the doctor would recommend for you.

I've also recently subscribed to https://www.everydayhealth.com/ which has some interesting articles relating to diabetes. Take a look and see if it helps.
  • yelgirweoj
    yelgirweoj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found myself in this same situation a few years ago. Time to manage your lifestyle. its easier with friends for sure. Good luck!
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was in the 700 blood sugar range when I was discovered. 126 isn't that bad. Follow what your doctor says. You might not even have diabetes. That is REALLY a long explanation to why not but see what your doctor says.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lane0330 wrote: »
    What do I do?
    Please advise me

Call your doctor back and ask for a referral to a Registered Dietitian or a Diabetes Counselor.
    Did your doctor not give you any guidance at all?

You could also check out the American Diabetes Association website http://www.diabetes.org/