Problem with squat

As the title says I have problems with squatting.

I just recently started to squat because I hate it so much I haven't done it before. My biggest problem is that my upper body bends too much forward. How can I make it so it doesn't bend forward that much.

I want to learn how to squat but because of the problem I have low motivation to squat because my technique is bad. :|

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    noorasohvi wrote: »

I just recently started to squat because I hate it so much I haven't done it before. My biggest problem is that my upper body bends too much forward. How can I make it so it doesn't bend forward that much.

I want to learn how to squat but because of the problem I have low motivation to squat because my technique is bad. :|

work your core. You can put a think board under the tip of your toes. But i say just work your core and keep squatting with a lower weight for now after a week or too try go up in weight to see how it goes . and make sure you tension your body after you lift of the rack
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Just one thing to say, everyone has a slightly different body position when squatting.
    I lean further forward than some, but it's how my body works. My back is still straight, my head up, bum down etc, it's just how my body works.
    Mind my PT always knows when I've been doing a lot of back squats, because my form is ever so slightly different with different types of squat. I'm far more upright with front squats, maybe give those a try, having the weight in front really does force you to stay more upright. (my PT gets me to imagine I'm doing front squats when doing bodyweight)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Try holding a medicine ball against your chest and as you go down into your squat push it straight out away from your body, I had a coach show me that years ago and it helped immensely.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    noorasohvi wrote: »

You'll need to work on your hip girdle and ankle flexibility in addition to what others have shared. Also, you need to find your sweet spot for foot placement. Repetition is needed to create familiarity with the squat movement. Take your time and you'll progress to where you need to be to handle weight. The rewards are great from squatting.

One other comment, you might consider using a kettlebell and perform Goblet squats. If you don't know what they are, do a YouTube search and view.

Be safe and good luck.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    What benefit are you looking for the squat to bring to your fitness vs other exercises that employ similar/same muscles?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I found this video really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOurxDftK4&t=8s

There is some parts of your personal anatomy that will have an effect on your positioning. Working your core is 100% a good thing, but don't keep chasing the ideals of a perfect squat if they aren't happening. I spent a long time trying to be "more" upright, but I have longer femurs than average, and that makes me tip forward a bit in order to get below parallel.

Take side-angle videos so you can compare your mechanics vs. what is recommended in videos.

And I think that all people who are able to squat, should. We all do it countless times a day (sitting down, standing up, etc.) and it's a movement that we lose as we age. Building a strong and proficient squat will help you as you become elderly maintain your independence (ie - trips to the washroom, living on your own). You don't have to squat 500 lbs to maintain your strength and ability, but ignoring the movement all together isn't beneficial.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Ah the good ole good morning squat. You should work on your core for stability, which a belt can also help with that, and your quads need to be strengthened. I would also just take it slow with light weight, and work on your form from there.
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    Ah, squats sure are an amazing torture, aren't they? :# Have you tried normal bodyweight or box squats?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    You can also start with dumbbell squats where you start and end seated in a lowish bench.
    I can't do barbell squats because my arms don't go back far enough. Never have, not even when I was young.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Good idea to look at some technique videos.

Back squats. feet sligthly more than shoulder width apart. feet turned out, descend til the tops of your thighs are parallel to the ground. keep your eyes focused ahead or sligthly downward. bar placement dependant upon body type and your level of skill and comfort.

And, for gosh sakes don't squat in runnng shoes. Use some flats. something not 8 inches of cushion.

Squat is King of exercises. STAY with it. When in doubt, take weight off the bar. no ego.