Whoa! I used to carry that everyday?!?

Options
mwilson57
mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
First, just a tiny bit about me. I work for an airline and I move luggage ALL day long. Usually I just pick it up and move it less that two feet or pick it up and stack it. Not too difficult. Today, however, a passenger needed their overstuffed backpack back and I had to carry it from the baggage make up area back to the front ticket counter. It's not a long distance, 200 ft or so (the length of a loooong hallway). When I picked it up and slung it over my shoulder I said to myself "whoa, that's pretty heavy!" When I got it up front I put it on the scale. The bag weighed 45.5 lbs. That's 1.5 lbs less than what I've lost in the past year! I can't believe I used to carry that much extra weight with me all day, everday! Next time you need a reminder of how far you've come, load up a backpack with an amount equal to what you've lost and feel the difference!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I had this same revelation not too long ago. I had to pick my dog up - well, he weighs 60lbs. I've lost 60lbs. As I was picking him up and carrying him - I realized that I used to carry that weight around with me ALL the time!

Wow.
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great view on weight loss!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    First, just a tiny bit about me. I work for an airline and I move luggage ALL day long. Usually I just pick it up and move it less that two feet or pick it up and stack it. Not too difficult. Today, however, a passenger needed their overstuffed backpack back and I had to carry it from the baggage make up area back to the front ticket counter. It's not a long distance, 200 ft or so (the length of a loooong hallway). When I picked it up and slung it over my shoulder I said to myself "whoa, that's pretty heavy!" When I got it up front I put it on the scale. The bag weighed 45.5 lbs. That's 1.5 lbs less than what I've lost in the past year! I can't believe I used to carry that much extra weight with me all day, everday! Next time you need a reminder of how far you've come, load up a backpack with an amount equal to what you've lost and feel the difference!

This is an awesome story.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    That is so awesome and so true. We don't realize how much 10, 20, 30, 40 or more pounds really weighs, but when you put it into something like the backpack you come to realize it's actually a whole lot of weight.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i hear that..i think of that often..good for you :D
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing! Congrats! I lifted 105lb the other day, and I can't believe I walked around with that everyday. What was I thinking? No wonder why my knees & back hurt all the time. Keep up the great work!
  • Kmart4910
    Options
    That's wonderful! I just said a similar thing to my boyfriend the other day. We were shopping and needed to get flour.... I picked up 2 packages (10 lbs. total) and handed it to him... and said "This is what I had on me 5 weeks ago". It was awesome!!

Keep up the great work!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My husband wanted to buy some light hand weights about a month or 2 ago. I went with him and in the isle with all the hand weights, I asked him to put 2 50lbs weight on the floor for me. (I couldn't lift them off the rack.) He put them on the floor and I swear I could just barely lift them for a second or 2. It was rediculous. And I lost more than that. It is a little different though as I didn't lose 100lbs from only my hands. It was obviously distributed all over my body, but it was a little crazy to feel how much 100lbs feels like.
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    Options
    Excellent posts. Great perspective!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Excellent - I do the same with my girls, tell them how much I've lost of each of them, steadily working to lose them both (weight-wise of course). I'm figuring by the time I get to them, it will be 90 pounds - only 30 to go! And I carry them both a lot when they are tired or sleeping...
  • abenbynek360
    Options
    I love that you have this post. I have lost 42 pounds as of today. And I still have most of my clothes that I was wearing before I lost the weight. And sometimes I'm like "wow!! These underwear are huge, or look how big these jeans are. I feel awesome about it. And it helps as a reminder of how much I want to reach my goal, and never go back to weighing what I did before! So thank u for sharing. :)
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I just said a similar thing to my boyfriend the other day. We were shopping and needed to get flour.... I picked up 2 packages (10 lbs. total) and handed it to him... and said "This is what I had on me 5 weeks ago". It was awesome!!

Keep up the great work!

That is how I made my kids realize that me losing 20lbs was a big deal. I told them to carry around 4 bags of sugar, their eyes went wide once they realized how heavy that was.
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! You have lost 47 pounds and that is my weight loss goal. I've only lost 5 so far but I want to have that great experience you just had!
  • cree_d
    cree_d Posts: 22
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me today when I carried my 40ish pound nephew on my shoulders. I couldn't believe how hard it was and only made it a half mile before I put him down and made him walk!
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me last week, my 6 year old cousin wanted a piggy back ride when we went for a walk. He weighs 60 pounds, I've lost 67 so far, I just kept thinking I used to carry this weight all the time! No wonder my knees and back hurt!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!