Cutting weigh 😭

Brutal weight cut to fight MMA in april. Not fought for a decade and aiming to fight at 66kg. Im 81kg now 😭😭😭

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    You want to lose 30 lbs in 2 months? That sounds unhealthy! Losing weight that fast puts an enormous amount of stress on your body, there's no way you can lose that much and not be exhausted, which is probably not the energy level you'll want to step into the ring with. Is that weight a requirement, or just a goal you picked for some other reason?
  • joebromehead
    joebromehead Posts: 5 Member
    Its pretty standard really. I'll get down to like 72kg and the rest will be lost with water etc in the two week run up.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Goodbye muscle mass.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Its pretty standard really. I'll get down to like 72kg and the rest will be lost with water etc in the two week run up.

Good luck. Stay focused. There's not much room for error.

You may find that not many people will be supportive of your effort here. Again, good luck and be safe.
  • joebromehead
    Goodbye muscle mass.

True
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited February 2019
    I mean, I'm well aware that fighters cut weight to make a specific weight class all the time. If OP said he needed to lose 10 lbs by April, I probably wouldn't have responded. But the extreme cut in a short period of time after "not fighting for a decade" sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Chances are after 10 years you have no idea how your body is going to react now as opposed to then. Hopefully you know what you're doing.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    moe0303 wrote: »

You may find that not many people will be supportive of your effort here. Again, good luck and be safe.

Because not many people are supportive of unhealthy weight loss efforts.
  • moe0303

Weight cut does not necessarily equal weight loss.
  • MichelleSilverleaf

OP wants to drop 30lbs in two months. At his weight I'd call that unhealthy.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member

I assume you mean weight loss doesn't mean fat loss. In a last minute water weight cut which is common with competitors what's lost is, indeed, water weight. But, losing 30 lbs in two months is wholly different. That means fat, muscle and some water. Not a good situation to be in when you're heading into a bout.

Op, I wish you well but believe you should rethink your timeline.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited February 2019
    I understand water cuts for competition. That's a big one. TJ Dillashaw talks about his cut on Joe Rogan's podcast. Weighed in 24 lbs under what he walked into the cage at, and says he felt the best he's ever felt. He credits his coach.

I hope you have a good coach with excellent knowledge of how to do that safely.

Good luck with your fight.
  • kami3006
    I understand water cuts for competition. That's a big one. TJ Dillashaw talks about his cut on Joe Rogan's podcast. Weighed in 24 lbs under what he walked into the cage at, and says he felt the best he's ever felt. He credits his coach.

I hope you have a good coach with excellent knowledge of how to do that safely.

Good luck with your fight.

I remember reading about that. Was very interesting.
  • moe0303
    edited February 2019
    kami3006 wrote: »

I assume you mean weight loss doesn't mean fat loss. In a last minute water weight cut which is common with competitors what's lost is, indeed, water weight. But, losing 30 lbs in two months is wholly different. That means fat, muscle and some water. Not a good situation to be in when you're heading into a bout.

I'll get down to like 72kg and the rest will be lost with water etc in the two week run up

He's talking about cutting 20 pounds in the final 2 weeks. That means a 10 pound goal in two months. That's aggressive, but not particularly unhealthy. It equates to about a 4,375 deficit a week...which is less than the 2lb/week limit set by MFP. The 20 pound water cut will be somewhat difficult depending on his personal situation, but some people are better at cutting than others. Ronda Rousey once cut 17 pounds in 24 hours with no prior preparation or notice.

It is possible to do this safely with professional help. As a professional, I would hope that he has access to such resources.
  • kami3006

I'll get down to like 72kg and the rest will be lost with water etc in the two week run up

He's talking about cutting 20 pounds in the final 2 weeks. That means a 10 pound goal in two months. That's aggressive, but not particularly unhealthy. It equates to about a 4,375 deficit a week...which is less than the 2lb/week limit set by MFP. The 20 pound water cut will be somewhat difficult depending on his personal situation, but some people are better at cutting than others. Ronda Rousey once cut 17 pounds in 24 hours with no prior preparation or notice.

It is possible to do this safely with professional help. As a professional, I would hope that he has access to such resources.

I agree it’s possible but he said nothing about being a professional nor having a coach. I hope he does and is able to do it safely.
  • joebromehead
    Also, to clarify. Im fighting the very last sunday of april, so its actually more like 3
    Months. I dont think this is crazy.
  • moe0303

I agree it’s possible but he said nothing about being a professional nor having a coach. I hope he does and is able to do it safely.

Yeah, I read it somewhere else. I also got the math wrong too. He wants to cut about 20 pounds in about 68 days...which (coincidentally) is still less than the 1000 calorie daily limit of mfp.
  • moe0303
    Also, to clarify. Im fighting the very last sunday of april, so its actually more like 3

Do you know if it will be televised in the US?
  • kami3006

Wish you the best!
  • joebromehead
    I wish it was a televised thing. It will be the lowest key interclub type fight. Few of them to get the ring rust off me and then maybe some bigger shows.
  • You're putting your body through big stress for little reward. I'd understand if you was fighting for ufc or bellator and you would at least get paid to make it worth your while. Personally I think you can make weight easily with water sodium and carb manipulation but your performance is going to be massively affected. Good luck however