One household, 2 WOE

Options
witchaywoman81
witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I’ve been tracking my calories since December 31, 2018 in an effort to finally lose this extra 60 pounds or so. I have decided that I don’t care how quickly it comes off. I’m tracking as honestly as I can and eating foods I like. So far so good. I’m just shy of 6 lbs lost and chugging along.

Now, there’s my hubby, whom I love dearly, but he’s very much all or nothing when it comes to his diet. He’s one of those who subscribes to the idea that he must eat nothing but grilled chicken and veggies in order to lose weight. Every 6 months or so he really buckles down on this WOE for a couple weeks, a month, but he inevitably goes back to his old ways. His usual, non “dieting” WOE is to not eat much during the day, then binge on whatever he can find in the pantry after everyone else has gone to bed.

How can I gently steer him in the right direction? I haven’t really talked to him about what I’m doing; I’m kind of hoping after 10-20 lbs gone, it’ll start to be noticeable.

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    Options
    I don't think there's any tactful way to tell or suggest to someone else how they should do something as personal as weight loss.

Just do you, boo.

Certainly once you start being successful there will be opportunity to talk about what you're doing, but it won't go well if you start telling him how to do it. Wait until he specifically asks for help....if ever. I mean, he probably won't.

Thank you, I know you’re right. I have been guilty of coming across as a know-it-all in the past (not with this, but in other areas of our life) so I know I should lay off. I did show him how to cook chicken in the instant Pot this evening, so I guess at least I’m not being UNsupportive. Ugh...for me though, just the thought of eating chicken and veggies all the time makes me very sad. But, alas...🤐🤐🤐
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Once he can see that your approach is working for you, he might realize that he doesn't have to eat grilled chicken and veggies all the time. Or not. A lot of people have...interesting...ideas about weight loss (or the world in general) and don't want to hear things that contradict what they already believe. Ultimately, he has to draw some conclusions for himself about how he wants to live his life, and you may or may not agree with those conclusions.
  • vanillaorange2
    vanillaorange2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way at times, he will eat whatever is around the house. I try to keep most of our trigger foods out of the house, so we are less likely to eat them late at night. and try to find new healthy food ideas so we are not always eating the same boring things all the time.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This used to be my husband and I. When I started this journey in May/June, I didnt say one word, I just changed how I cooked and changed my snacks. I still always have a bedtime snack, it's just different. He was aware of what I was doing but really started asking questions about October, when I was down about 40lbs. He is now down 20lbs and is "mostly" logging, but he also only had about 30lbs to go in the beginning. I'd just do your thing and let him do his.
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've realized I can't monitor my husband's eating. When I'm home, I cook for us and he's happy to eat what I cook. But, when I'm not around he does whatever he does and well, that's up to him. And believe me, he eats a lot of garbage when I'm not home. I figure, at least his dinners are healthier than they had been, and weekends he's eating 100% better now also. There's also no trigger foods brought int the house so anything he eats are one shot snacks or meals. I'd hoped he would be as motivated as I've been especially since he's been a great cheerleader for me, but for himself, meh, not at all. Oh well. So be it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You pretty much described my world. It took about a year and a half for my hubby to start coming around and realize that the secret was CICO and not dry, boring chicken and vegetables. He still doesn't measure like I do and doesn't lose as consistently as I do, but he has made so e headway and somewhat seen the light of CICO.

It took time and seeing my consistent results to see a shift in his WOE. Plus, I do all the cooking, so there's that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    hes a grown man. let him do what he wants. maybe seeing your results will rub off. or not. but you cant force him to eat any certain way.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    IMO all you can really do is be an example. Do what you need to do to get your weight under control and either he'll get the message or he won't. After the next 1, 2 or 100 failed overkill attempts and seeing your success he'll eventually get on board.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My wife about 5 years back was about 100lbs over and don't you dare take her ice cream lol. We were going through photos one day and she asked "Is that really me?"

I'd like to think I helped somehow, but I know it was all her :) She's an even 135 now and looks great.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Rather than waiting til you're 20lbs down, how about recording your weight loss somewhere visible like a calendar so he can see the gradual consistent weight loss you're experiencing.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    Thanks, all. Really appreciate the insight. This morning after getting the kids off to school I did stop at the store and buy some more veggies. Honestly, I could probably eat more of those as well. As for the plain chicken breast, that's his prerogative and I'll continue to do things my way, without stepping on his way. :)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i've learned the hard way to not try to make someone change, I've lost friends who thought using PHEN was the only way to lose weight. They have to do it for themselves. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully he decides to listen and follow along.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    Rather than waiting til you're 20lbs down, how about recording your weight loss somewhere visible like a calendar so he can see the gradual consistent weight loss you're experiencing.

That could backfire. I was once like him and the hardest thing for me to get over was trying to hurry the process. I was also too much of an "all or nothing" person. Seeing a slow process would not have worked on me... until I was ready. If he is going to learn it may take several months of watching the OP lose weight successfully.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

That could backfire. I was once like him and the hardest thing for me to get over was trying to hurry the process. I was also too much of an "all or nothing" person. Seeing a slow process would not have worked on me... until I was ready. If he is going to learn it may take several months of watching the OP lose weight successfully.

Yeah, I think my thought process here is similar, @NovusDies. I mean, I AM sticking with this, but I want to make sure it truly does stick before I do anything like this. Showing how I lost 5 lbs in a month isn’t as impressive as, for example, doing that each month 4 months in a row, at which time I would be 20 lbs lighter.

Funnily enough, he has seen me struggle with my weight and has actually told me “I can tell you how to lose weight.” Yeah...his way makes the weight come off fast, but as soon as he stops doing it, it starts creeping up again.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Yeah, I think my thought process here is similar, @NovusDies. I mean, I AM sticking with this, but I want to make sure it truly does stick before I do anything like this. Showing how I lost 5 lbs in a month isn’t as impressive as, for example, doing that each month 4 months in a row, at which time I would be 20 lbs lighter.

Funnily enough, he has seen me struggle with my weight and has actually told me “I can tell you how to lose weight.” Yeah...his way makes the weight come off fast, but as soon as he stops doing it, it starts creeping up again.

That is a vicious cycle that keeps reinforcing itself with quick results. He probably is thinking like I once did that it is just a matter of willpower that is keeping him from sticking with it until he gets to goal.

I learned that it doesn't require willpower to get through a normal day. Since you can't make radical changes and it still be normal the trick is to make very small changes over time so that normal is never too far behind.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that he may never come around to your WOE, he may never use MFP no matter how successful you are. I'm 3 years into this, recomping now after losing all the weight I really wanted to. Meanwhile, husband is still eating the way he ever has and is still carrying 40lbs more than he should. I thought he would tune in after observing my success but it hasn't happened yet. *shrug* I love him tons but you can't make someone lose weight if they don't want to do it for themselves.