Pasta portions

Options
Do the calories per serving represent uncooked or coked pasta? I measured 3/4c dry pasta and have a very large portion of pasta.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It's usually uncooked - did you look on the package?

A cooked portion of pasta is a little less than a cup, usually.

Weigh it raw on the food scale.
  • tledoux1913
    tledoux1913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The box said 200 calories for 3/4 c. I measured uncooked and my final product is huge. I added a cup of broccoli rice and 2 cups of broccoli to the pot after draining and I barely made a dent before I was full.
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate measuring pasta too because I always get so confused 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    measure by weight using USDA instead of the box. dry weight.

There are some "cooked" option in the MFP database tho.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    2 ounces (by weight) of uncooked pasta is 200 calories
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The box said 200 calories for 3/4 c. I measured uncooked and my final product is huge. I added a cup of broccoli rice and 2 cups of broccoli to the pot after draining and I barely made a dent before I was full.

dont measure use a food scale. measuring cups arent accurate for solid and semi solid foods. cups and spoons are way off when it comes to solids/semi solids. I learned that the hard way
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    2 ounces (by weight) of uncooked pasta is 200 calories

or 56 grams per serving(for those 2 ounces). :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

3/4 cup dry should be correct. Nutrition labels in the US usually show the information for the serving size as packaged (in this case dry) unless they specify otherwise. You'd want to check the label laws in your area to be sure if you're outside of the US.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Weigh it dry. Volume measurements don't work because rotini and penne weigh about 2/3rds as much as spaghetti. Get a scale and don't fool around with cups.

Pasta is 100 cal per ounce, more or less. Start your journey by fixing 4 oz of pasta and put a little tomato sauce on it. Then do the same with 3oz. Try 2 oz. No one can tell you how much is a serving for you. Try to cut back on oil in the dish. Broth fortified with bouillon and thickened with the starch from the pasta will make pasta dished affordable, calorie wise.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't know it should specify on the box.. It should say number of oz or grams of dry weight. I actually am a freak and created a recipe in MFP for plain pasta. I weighed out the pasta dry, added it to my recipe, then weighed it cooked. So in the future anytime I make pasta I can weigh it cooked on my plate :-p