Low back herniation/bulge and rehab

Options
2»

Replies

• Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Each person and situation is different. I can certainly sympathize. I’ve been on the road to recovery for over a year now from a l5 s1 injury in addition to DDD in my back. I got relief from chiropractor care and getting my inflammation ( naproxen)down so that the sciatic nerve was not been pinched. Injections did not work and opioids did nothing. I got better relief from otc arthritis tynolol. Doing stretching and strengthening helped me to be able to regain some of my life back. And of course for my prayer and my faith in God. It can be a slow return but be patient with yourself it helps. 😉
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    Each person and situation is different. I can certainly sympathize. I’ve been on the road to recovery for over a year now from a l5 s1 injury in addition to DDD in my back. I got relief from chiropractor care and getting my inflammation ( naproxen)down so that the sciatic nerve was not been pinched. Injections did not work and opioids did nothing. I got better relief from otc arthritis tynolol. Doing stretching and strengthening helped me to be able to regain some of my life back. And of course for my prayer and my faith in God. It can be a slow return but be patient with yourself it helps. 😉

I'm glad you have found some relief, and faith can bring about true miracles!
    I'm going to get another Epidual Spinal Injection soon, see if his approach can get a little closer to the nerve. If this one doesnt work, I'm not sure I'd go through it again. Exposure to fluoroscopy, not having had children yet, probably isn't a good idea repeatedly.
    I've been working out in a circuit training gym and most days I'm doing well, have to modify some of the movements of course, but I get it done. Slow process, however the more weight that comes off, the better I start to feel.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I had a L4/L5 bludge and sciatic impingement in late August 2017. I don't recall much backpain, but from my butt down to my calf on the right side was agony. The muscles were "shut off" and weakened. It became a blurry mess of what was injury recovery and what was fatigue from overused weak muscles. By early October I was back at master's swimming twice a week. I also started in the gym on core work and strength building around that time. It took until February 2018 to see any real increase in strength (limp was mostly gone). I was back out on my road bike in late April/early May. It's February 2019 and my right calf is still weaker.

What was helpful to me was swimming, massage/acupuncture to deal with tight muscles and strength work that focus on core (lots of glutes!). During my recovering, I've also had to deal with new kinds of compensating injuries and freakouts at every twitch down my right leg. The constant fear of setting it off again lingers.

Good luck with your recovery. Be kind and forgiving of yourself. The road to recovery isn't straight.