Counting Calories vs. Weight Watchers

2»

Replies

• hkopacz
    hkopacz Posts: 15
    You look great! Good job!
  • caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    I did WW when I first started learning about heatlh and weight loss. I loved it, and saw good success losing 30 lbs. I really recommend it anyone who has no idea how to even start eating healthy or losing weight because there are so many good articles, tools, and just general helpful knowledge available on their website and through a membership.

I cancelled my WW membership earlier this year because I felt like I had reached a point where I had gained enough information and practice that I could lose weight on my own. And because I'm cheap, and didn't want to pay the $20/month anymore. I eat about the same amount of food with the 1200 I'm given on this site as I did with the 25 points I was given on WW, so I think calorie-wise they are comparable. Like I said, I think WW is perfect for anyone just starting out. If you already know a thing or two about how to eat and live healthy, but just need a site where you can connect with others and keep a food diary, this site is definitely the place to go!
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
    I did weight watchers and did really well on it. But, MFP is free!! :) It was wierd switching from counting points to counting calories, but it didn't take long to get used to it . I love MFP.
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    I am doing MFP and my friend is doing weight watchers. She gave me the way to do hers, and I was curious so for 3 weeks I tracked it on an Excel spread sheet, her points vs. my calories. My diary entered into her point system were about the same. We have both lost the same amount of weight, but I find MFP easier and free!
  • I currently am working up the ladder on carbs. I was doing low carb and now I'm watching calories and only eating good carbs. So it's a transition for me to now count calories not carbs ...although like i said I still eat moderate low carb but only good carbs.

So yea it's tough but it can be done. Just make sure you know how many calories you SHOULD be eating. You need to make sure you don't eat less than 1200 per day.

BTW: Your pictures are awesome. You are rockin whatever you are doin.
  • Eat several smaller portions of healthy food. Drink a lot of water - pure water. Eat at home - eating out is really nothing but bad. Salads are low in calories if you make them right and if you choose dressings wisely. Measure what you eat- don't estimate. Stick to it and add everything that you eat and exercise to this site daily. Make sure to exercise - that will make you build muscles which in turn will burn more calories. It also makes it easier to stick under your daily calorie goal. Good luck! With the right spirit you will do it!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    I dont get the points system when you can just count calories.....its the same thing and calories are actually posted on the nutritional labels....points are not! I find this much more of a normal, long term plan personally
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Hi Dixebelle,

I will be putting this info on your post but thought I would send it as a msg too in case you don't see it as a post.

I did W W many years ago but didn't feel comfortable to be honest I didn't like the W W lady and that really matters. I am new to MFP but I have found lots of support from everyone here and as everyone else has said it it free.

Personally I think for the cost of W W I prefer to go to a place where there is a gym too because the cost of W W the ladies gyms to me work out cheaper as you not only get support but there is also the exercise equipment. I don't know what part of the world you are in but if you are in the USA I am sure you will have the same two gyms I am thinking of there in fact they both probably started there. I used to go to Healthy Inspirations several years ago, it has an eating program and the gym equipment but I had a fall and found I can no longer manage their machines. Yesterday I started at Curves which I am sure you will of heard of, it too has an eating program and the machines which I can use, the staff are lovely and I felt very comfortable there. I can no longer go out with out a wheelie walker or at least a walking stick so I am slow at using the machines, the ladies were very kind and just worked around me and went back to machines they missed. The thing I liked about the Curves machines is they work with a Hydraulic system so I don't have to change the tension on them they adjust the tension themselves - the harder you work them the stronger the tension becomes but they were gentle enough for me to be able to use. The Healthy Inspirations machines have to be changed every time someone else uses them and they start off to strong for me anyway the other thing I found is Healthy Inspirations was a lot more expensive than Curves too. If you go away on holiday you have no excuse not to work out either as Curves has a travel pass which you can use anywhere in the world ! ! !

Anyway my point is over the cost of W W or the other two I think it is better money to use the ladies supportive gyms so you have the benefit of both things. You may not have either of those gyms where you are but there maybe a similar style that you could use. I can recommend either of those gyms it is a case of which suits you best.

Good luck