Weight loss in the gym

Options
I walk atleast a mile on the treadmill everyday. I want to try using machines at the gym but idk what to do. I am trying to lose fat

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lahrysa wrote: »
    I walk atleast a mile on the treadmill everyday. I want to try using machines at the gym but idk what to do. I am trying to lose fat

You lose fat when you are taking in fewer calories than you expend. Using machines or doing this or that exercise doesn't default to losing fat; if it did, regular exercisers like myself would ultimately just waste away.

Resistance training is recommended as part of an overall solid fitness plan. I would recommend maybe getting a couple sessions with a trainer and/or following an established program.
  • lahrysa
    lahrysa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You lose fat when you are taking in fewer calories than you expend. Using machines or doing this or that exercise doesn't default to losing fat; if it did, regular exercisers like myself would ultimately just waste away.

Resistance training is recommended as part of an overall solid fitness plan. I would recommend maybe getting a couple sessions with a trainer and/or following an established program.

Thank you, I am dieting as well just wanted advice on what to do at the gym other than walking on a treadmill
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. You will get the biggest bang for your buck by focusing on getting your calories in (food) in line. Working out can help by burning some cals, but most of us don't burn nearly as much as we'd like to think.

Check out this post when you get a chance:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you're unsure what machines to use, can you see if your gym offers a "tour" or can provide some guidance on what machine does what?

ETA: @quiksylver296 Jinx!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

Is your gym membership new? Every gym I've ever joined has included 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer with membership. Gyms have also offered small group classes for very cheap or free. If none of those options is available to you, a few sessions with a personal trainer is well worth the investment.
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    YouTube!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Talk to the front desk at your gym. You can usually get a tour or a free session with a PT to learn the very basics.