Elipticals

Options
Does anyone use one as their primary excersize measure? Is it an effective weightloss machine? I currently walk 3 miles a day and do weight training. However my schedule is changing (as well as the season) and I need something I can keep in my home. I am a full time student with a clinical internship and 3 daughters. So, I don't have a lot of time to make it to the gym!

Thanks in advance..

Replies

• tlilly80
    tlilly80 Posts: 27
    Options
    BUMP
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi! Missed your first post so good thing you bumped it :)

I love the elliptical!! It really does work just as well as any other cardio and it's easier on the joints than running. It can get a little boring but just have some good music on hand. I like to do high intensity interval training on them from time to time to keep it interesting - go really fast for 15-20 seconds, take it easy for 40-45 seconds. The time flies by this way :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical at the gym. I love them.
    They are very effective if you can afford the type that can vary its own resistance.
    The cheaper ones just trade arm and leg movements.

A half hour on a good elliptical can work your arms and legs and burn 250 calories.

My wife likes to work out at home, she got the Bbowflex Treadclimber. It is not an elliptical and the treads are tiny. It burns a ton of calories, but I don't like the movement.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else, so long as you use one that can have different resistance :) And don't always trust what the calorie count tells you on the machine, sometimes I'll do an hour an it says something huge like 900cals but I'm pretty sure its more like 500-600.

I find time flies if you have the telly on, or some good music. And mix it up between forwards and backwards :)
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    I have an elliptical, it doesn't bother my knee if I keep it at 10% incline. As the incline increase so does the stride length. My little legs don't like that. I am not in shape. I started at 5 minutes per day and added a minutes per week until I got up to 20 minutes. There are times I would just rather walk. But when times constraints and bad weather prohibit walking, I like being able to use elliptical, it is a good all around workout, I recommend you go to the local Y get a day pass and try out all the different types of machines before you buy one. Mine cost $800, it's a good sturdy machine . It is big and heavy, you won't be moving it much. Mine is a nordictrack. Don 't pay full price the sales man can always move on the price or wave a large shipping fee. I put mine together, it took 2 days because I stopped when I dropped the Allen wrench in side it. But it's not that hard just ackward. I consider mine a good investment even tho I don't use it everyday.
  • liza27201424
    Options
    im looking into getting one as well
    i looked up online how many calories you burn
    and just going on it for an hour you can burn over 500 cals
    im so amazed and would rather spend a couple hundred $$ on that
    than spend a monthly fee, and be on a contract at the gym
    buy your own weights as well!
    you own mini little gym
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, elliptical machines are great if you turn up the resistance and put in a lot of effort! Personally I prefer a treadmill because I find myself pushing myself harder to reach time/distance goals... I guess you could easily do that on the elliptical as well though!
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Try out a few before you buy one the cheap models don't slide that well and aren't meant for people over 200 lbs. The real expense ones have bells and whistles you might not use. Read the reviews. It's a big investment, and you won't use it if the pedals don't slide smoothly, or if it is too wobbly because it's not steady enough for larger people. (Just a general comment you could be as light as a feather, I didn't read you profile to see your weight.)