Measuring rice

Options
This is probably a dumb question but I got a food scale and am trying to weigh everything. I made the boil in bag brown rice and put it on the scale and measured in ounces after it was cooked... when I go to look for it in the data base it only had fluid ounces. Should I use that? I was confused because the box says 50g dry was a serving so I didn't want to do it in grams. What will be the best way to log and measure this accurately?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    How many total servings in the bag? You could weigh the whole and then figure out the size for one serving cooked by dividing it by serving sizes.

You also should be able to find an entry for Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked (and similar) that will have gram options, but I'd probably use the package information here.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do in this situation:

1. Look at the bag label to see the total number of dry grams of rice it held. Divide that number by 50 to determine the total number of servings it held.
    2. In the recipe builder, add the boil in bag rice as an ingredient and for quantity use the number you got in Step 1. If there is not a matching entry for your rice's nutrition info, create one.
    3. Weigh the total batch of rice now that it is boiled, in grams. Enter that number as the total number of servings that the recipe makes. This makes each serving 1 gram.
    4. Weigh out the portion that you are going to eat today (in grams) and log yourself as eating an equivalent number of servings.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    the serving size on the box should also indicate how many calories. simply figure out how many servings in the box in total (adding water doesn't add any calories). You shouldn't nee MFP for the totals.

In any case you can create it as your own food (My Food) using the Nutrition label on the package. If it's just plain brown rice then you could try seeing if the measurement is listed here
  • mybicknell
    mybicknell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Most items like rice and pasta are based on dry weights, because water adds a varying amount of weight, depending on how long you cook it, at what point you drain your pasta, etc.

I measure the right amount for the servings we are eating, and then just divide it up as cleanly as possible into that number of servings.