Using to track during pregnancy

Options
Hi I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and love this app for making sure I’m taking in only what I need daily any other pg mamas :)

Replies

• maegandunworth1
    maegandunworth1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am 24 weeks :)
  • oliveloki
    oliveloki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do y’all adjust calorie-wise for pregnancy? I’m 27w, and it says my daily goal to maintain weight is 1900 cals. I’ve stuck to that for a couple weeks but I’m always hungry. What do y’all do?
  • maegandunworth1
    maegandunworth1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oliveloki wrote: »
    How do y’all adjust calorie-wise for pregnancy? I’m 27w, and it says my daily goal to maintain weight is 1900 cals. I’ve stuck to that for a couple weeks but I’m always hungry. What do y’all do?

i put mine at gain .5 pound a week. you need to gain some weight while pregnant, not stay the same weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Why would you be trying to maintain when you should be gaining weight and feeding another person inside of you?
  • jennfeustel123
    jennfeustel123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I’m 12 weeks and looking for other pregnant ladies to MFP with. This is my 3rd. I do not want to gain an excessive amount so I am hoping MFP can help me. My goal is to gain less than 15# since I am overweight to begin with.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    In third trimester you should be set at gaining (0.5lb a week), but do discuss this with your doctor.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I’m 12 weeks and looking for other pregnant ladies to MFP with. This is my 3rd. I do not want to gain an excessive amount so I am hoping MFP can help me. My goal is to gain less than 15# since I am overweight to begin with.

My non-medical opinion is that 15lbs isn't enough to support a pregnancy (assuming you're talking about pre-pregnancy weight compared to weight just before delivery). For context, my wife just had our first child in December, pre-pregnancy ~145lbs at 5'8" (just above "ideal" by most calculators, firmly in "Normal" by BMI) and was ~175 at her final OB appointment before delivery. Without any sort of tracking or real effort she got back down to ~145 within 6 weeks and is back in regular jeans. Our son wasn't huge, but healthy at just over 8 lbs. Based on that I'd say 30 lbs would be a better target but definitely verify with your doctor rather than trust us randos on the internet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    ps minimum gain for pregnancy is 21lb for a healthy baby (my midwife and doctor told me that many years ago when I was pregnant, it highly unlikely that number will have changed) - this is not the time to think about weight but the growth of your baby and gaining a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Your starting weight will determine a health weight gain for your pregnancy. The morbidly obese should maintain, if not lose (BMI typically higher than 45, some OBs say 50). For someone obese, most recommend less than 15lbs.

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE.

I used MFP to keep my pregnancy at 15lbs the last time - I started out obese. I ate around 2200-2500 depending on how active I was that day. My OB and I were happy with this. Without knowing your weight now, I can't make recommendations on calories. Nor can anyone else here. I do always recommend the Fit, Fabulous, And Pregnant group on here, as those ladies kept me sane sometimes.

Talk to your doctor at your next appointment about how much you should gain. Come back with that information and your stats (Height, Weight, Trimester) and we can help better. If your doc is clueless, ask for a referral to a dietitian who specializes in pregnancy.

Congrats on the baby!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

My OB told me to eat when I was hungry. You're growing a human. You have precious little time to give it the best start possible. She told me to eat a wide variety of colorful food, and - direct quote here - "eat the damn cookie".
  • jennywilliams37604
    Options
    I had to see the dietitian for gestational diabetes, so I'm basically counting carbs instead of calories. 180g/day over 6 meals, always with some protein. Fruit twice a day, and veggies whenever I can get them. Avoid the "white" carbs and go for fiber and whole grains. By the time I get all that done, I am full. (And tired.) Some days it's 1800 calories and some days I get hungry for more protein and fat and it's 2200. But I know the bean is getting what he needs (and not too much of the bad stuff) every day, so I stopped caring too much about where my weight was landing.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I used MFP to track during my 3rd pregnancy because I had GD. My nutritional counselor loved it. I had 0% struggle controlling my GD with diet alone using MFP as a tool. I calculated the calories I needed manually, using my macronutrient goals. I didn't stress over +/- on the calorie total, weight control was not my goal, carb control was.

I was asked to only gain 15lbs by my doctor because I was overweight. I gained 13lbs before my GD diagnosis when I started limiting my carbs and didn't gain another pound through delivery.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I've just remembered, my DIL who was a few stone (approx 30lbs) overweight only gained 14lbs in her whole pregnancy and her baby was 8lb 13oz. ..but she was sick pretty much the whole time and could only keep down small amounts which definitely isn't ideal.
  • snicoley
    snicoley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    9 weeks 😄
  • RunningBridges
    RunningBridges Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m also using MFP for gestational diabetes. I’m only 10 weeks but they tested me early since I have PCOS. My one hour test was only a few points high but they decided to treat me as gestational diabetes instead of having to do the three hour test. I’m trying to frame it as being proactive instead of reactive so I don’t pity party myself :)