Bipolar and binging, but trying to get back on track!

Options
feverfocus_
feverfocus_ Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm Kat. I've struggled my whole life with binge and emotional eating. Over the last couple of years I've managed to lose about 50 lb.
wkqb47ngwznq.jpeg
I have been off track since I returned to school in the fall, but because I was in a hypomanic state for months, I was burning off a ton of energy so I was maintaining my weight. Since being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in November and starting new medication, this has all changed and I've gained ten pounds! Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can keep being so casual about food, especially since I've been falling back into major binge behavior (I smoke a lot of weed for my anxiety. That certainly doesn't help!). Anyways, I'm hoping to connect with the community because that was the thing that really helped me when I was on weight watchers :). Wish me luck!

Replies

• kdm071993
    kdm071993 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Firstly good luck. I suffer with bulimia so I can relate to your binging it’s so difficult when you get that urge but try to stay strong and keep your goal in mind. We can do this! In a healthy way. :)
  • rmp0813
    rmp0813 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Heya! Congratulations on the weight loss! I'm kind of in a similar boat, thanks bipolar... :( My biggest problem is binge eating... to the point where I am uncomfortably full, and it doesn't taste good anymore, cold food is freezing my mouth, but I'm still compelled to eat more! It seems like my body is trying to look for that "spark" of pleasure when I'm depressed... or on the swing side, it's less of a compulsion and more feeling like I can do whatever I want without consequence. I also vaporize weed for anxiety, which derails even my best of efforts, so I've been trying to only use a tiny bit before bed to help me sleep. I can have all the healthy food in the house, but if there's sugar, I will find it, and it'll be gone. :(

I am currently off work on disability (unrelated) so I'm at home all day with constant access to food, which is making things even worse. Although it's been making it easier to cut back on the weed with fewer stressors. I've been trying to distract myself with exercise so I stay focused on positives, but that also backfires because I'll slip and feel like I can binge because I've burned off the extra calories.

Having some other folks in my newsfeed would be a big help. Just seeing people on the same path gives me motivation to keep on truckin'... if I slip up one day, I can get back on the horse and join the effort, instead of just giving up.
  • feverfocus_
    Options
    It's so hard, hey? Carbs are my biggest weakness, all I want is soft pretzels. May I ask if you're medicated and if you think that's had an effect on your weight?
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You'll prolly want to edit out the mention of your smoking habit as it is strictly against MFP policy to discuss it despite the fact that it is legal in Canada, parts of Europe and many American states.

I had trouble managing my weight until my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin for my anti-depressant. Apparently it's the only one out there that doesn't stimulate the appetite. Might be worth pursuing with your doctor.
  • feverfocus_
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @born_of_fire does that include medical cannabis?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll discuss with my psychiatrist :) I have a feeling it may be the antipsychotic contributing to the weight gain though :(
  • rmp0813
    rmp0813 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You'll prolly want to edit out the mention of your smoking habit as it is strictly against MFP policy to discuss it despite the fact that it is legal in Canada, parts of Europe and many American states.

I was unaware of this, could you tell me where I can find this? It seems odd I wouldn't be able to talk about my legally prescribed medication, especially since it is now legal in Canada for everyone. I also used to struggle with drug abuse; can I not talk about that either? :/

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's in the terms and conditions for the site somewhere. I'm not even sure where. The only reason I know is that I also have a scrip but have received a warning about it.

Section 3.2 of the terms and conditions policy includes "no illegal activity". I guess since it's not legal everywhere they'd rather no discussion of it at all. That's my best guess anyway.