Low carb or keto?

Options
What exactly is the difference between low carb and keto?
My weight is stuck. I've been eating healthy. Smaller meals with snacks. I've been exercising along with my waitressing job. I am trying my hardest to cut out soda. I'm now down to maybe a half cup every week to week and a half.
Would a low carb diet or keto diet help me get to my goal of 135??

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Low carb means anything under 150g per day. Keto is high fat, ultra low carb (5-10%). All you need to lose weight is a reasonable calorie deficit (0.5-1 pound loss per week for most). Be consistent with logging and you will lose. There are no special diets or one that is superior to another, however choose what you can do long term because ultimately you will reach your goal and will need to maintain.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you logging food? If so, how do you measure it? Do you log every day, and everything?

It comes down to how much you're eating, not what. Also, are you in a healthy weight range already? If so, it will take longer to lose and require more precision in logging.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Are you logging food? If so, how do you measure it? Do you log every day, and everything?

It comes down to how much you're eating, not what. Also, are you in a healthy weight range already? If so, it will take longer to lose and require more precision in logging.

I usually log everything but this last week I have slacked off with it. But I still have been watching what and how much I eat. I haven't over eaten since the holidays. I eat until I'm satisfied then move on. And technically I am overweight by 40 lbs.
  • cathipa
    Options
    tburgardt wrote: »

I usually log everything but this last week I have slacked off with it. But I still have been watching what and how much I eat. I haven't over eaten since the holidays. I eat until I'm satisfied then move on. And technically I am overweight by 40 lbs.

How are you measuring your food? Satisfaction can have various meanings and could derail your weight loss efforts if you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Keto is ultra low carb...50 grams or less and often 20 grams or less. Usually anything under about 130-150 grams would be considered low carb. There isn't anything magical about a low carb or keto diet...they work the same way any diet does, which is creating a calorie deficit. The only difference between low carb diets and other diets is more water weight is lost initially.

How long have you been dieting? It might be time for a diet break.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Okay, how do you log? Eyeball, cups, pieces, scale? So you double check entries?

Opening your diary could be helpful. With 40 pounds to lose, you probably need to address your logging. You don't need to change what and how you eat unless you want to.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    weight loss is about calories in calories out. various ways of eating (or "diets") cna help in keeping different people satiated. (or some do better with very narrow options on foods)

do you use a food scale for all solid foods and oils? eating healthy won't contribute to weight loss if not in a calorie deficit.

The more we have to lose, the easier it is to lose while still being less precise on logging. but as you get closer to your goal those small precision issues can stop any further progress.

rather than jump into another way of eating, let's see if we can help you tweak things with your current plan. Are you willing to open up your diary?

What are your stats? Height, current weight, goal weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Are you eating to meet a certain calorie goal?
  • tburgardt
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

How are you measuring your food? Satisfaction can have various meanings and could derail your weight loss efforts if you are not in a calorie deficit.

Normally for my dinners I follow a recipe then divide it into 4 or 6 depending on who's eating. Then left overs will get portioned into containers and in the fridge. Throughout the day for breakfast and lunch I follow the packages and measure it out with measuring spoons/cups. I currently do not have a scale but it is on my wish list.
  • cathipa
    Options

Normally for my dinners I follow a recipe then divide it into 4 or 6 depending on who's eating. Then left overs will get portioned into containers and in the fridge. Throughout the day for breakfast and lunch I follow the packages and measure it out with measuring spoons/cups. I currently do not have a scale but it is on my wish list.

Is this currently working for you and your weight loss goals?
  • tburgardt
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Keto is ultra low carb...50 grams or less and often 20 grams or less. Usually anything under about 130-150 grams would be considered low carb. There isn't anything magical about a low carb or keto diet...they work the same way any diet does, which is creating a calorie deficit. The only difference between low carb diets and other diets is more water weight is lost initially.

How long have you been dieting? It might be time for a diet break.

This time I have been eating healthier since I had my baby 2 months ago. When the doctor gave me the all clear about a month ago is when I started to exercise.
  • tburgardt
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    weight loss is about calories in calories out. various ways of eating (or "diets") cna help in keeping different people satiated. (or some do better with very narrow options on foods)

do you use a food scale for all solid foods and oils? eating healthy won't contribute to weight loss if not in a calorie deficit.

The more we have to lose, the easier it is to lose while still being less precise on logging. but as you get closer to your goal those small precision issues can stop any further progress.

rather than jump into another way of eating, let's see if we can help you tweak things with your current plan. Are you willing to open up your diary?

What are your stats? Height, current weight, goal weight?

I'm 5'3". Currently 173. Goal is 135
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

It sounds like you don't really have a good idea of how many calories you're actually eating? It's so easy to underestimate on portion sizes and once you start adding in recipes it can get even trickier. MFP does have a really cool recipe builder feature that you can use to figure out portion sizes, but again you need to know the correct portion sizes of each ingredient.

If a lower carb way of eating appeals to you then there's no harm in giving it a try. But, it still comes down to being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.
  • tburgardt
    Options

As long as I am pre-logging daily yes I was.
  • rmp0813
    rmp0813 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The keto diet is putting your body into ketosis, which means keeping strict low carb so your body is using fat for fuel, not carbs. I felt really crappy starting (keto flu), but after about four days I felt great. It's not for everyone, talk to a doctor first, etc etc... but it helped me lose a lot of weight before my wedding without losing a bunch of muscle. It was really restrictive though, and I was eating the same thing every day. :( There is a lot of weight loss at the beginning, but that's just dropping water weight. The weight loss after that is legit though. I stopped because I didn't want to count carbs anymore, but for how it made me feel, I really enjoyed it. Definitely not for everyone.
  • tburgardt
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

It sounds like you don't really have a good idea of how many calories you're actually eating? It's so easy to underestimate on portion sizes and once you start adding in recipes it can get even trickier. MFP does have a really cool recipe builder feature that you can use to figure out portion sizes, but again you need to know the correct portion sizes of each ingredient.

If a lower carb way of eating appeals to you then there's no harm in giving it a try. But, it still comes down to being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

I use the recipe builder quite often. I love it. That how I know how many calories and carbs my daily morning coffee is. (I add cream and sugar... Well now stevia)
  • cathipa
    Options

Then go back to what was working. No need to change your diet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I'm confused. I thought you said your weight was stuck?

If the way you are doing things now is working for you, keep doing them.

If not, you have a couple of options:

1. Tighten up your logging to get yourself back into a calorie deficit. Weigh out your portions, double check the database entries you are using have the accurate calories, make sure you aren't leaving off anything like beverages, nibbles, condiments, cheats, etc.
    2. Try a different way of eating and hope it naturally gets you back into a calorie deficit.

Low carb is generally under 150g of carbs, though usually defined as less than 100g
    Keto is more like under 50g (if not lower).
    Both only work if you're in a calorie deficit, just like however you are eating now.

Good luck!

ETA: If you've lost some weight, make sure your calorie goal has adjusted down slightly. It shouldn't be much, but if you were losing at a slower pace in the first place, not adjusting it down over time could cause you to slowly lose your deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Here's your answer...you need to tighten up your logging if you're going to lose weight calorie counting. Some people don't care for it, so a diet plan works better for them...just depends on you. A low carb diet doesn't default to weight loss unless it provides for a calorie deficit...even you low carb and eat maintenance, you will maintain and not lose weight.