Liquid diet help (NOT fad diet)

Options
PixelPuff
PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Reiterating;
I'm not doing a fad diet. I had three teeth removed yesterday

I hadn't been able to chew for a full week before this surgery anyway. My wisdom teeth grew in fowards, and one cracked into the neighboring molar. Yes, into; click the link for X-ray. The recent pain that was too much to tolerate was actually an infection brewing due to the crack that I couldn't see. Caused a huge cavity, hitting nerve... So wasn't really able to eat much before that due to jaw pain. Had to pop my jaw back into place 3-4 times Saturday.

Two wisdoms & that molar, gone as of yesterday. So happy. No pain, but jaw feels tired.

Downside is I can only have liquids for a few days. I didn't eat much yesterday as my appointment was at 2pm, and you can't eat or drink (even a single gulp) 8 hours beforehand. I couldn't feel my face or jaw after due to the stuff they gave me while I was under, so it was very hard to even drink enough to get the medicine down when needed.

I'm starving rn.

I'm trying to figure out some things I can do to NOT get tired of this mostly liquid diet. I've been having a lot of protein drinks, pressed juices (no added sugar, very close eye on the nutrition listed, etc), fruit smoothies (same deal), etc. It is winter, I live in Denver, I'm tired of eating cold things. Need something other than juices, yogurts, protein shakes...

I need more warm things that will be easy to eat. Too much has chunks to chew, so I need help. Again, I have little to no pain, but my jaw is just too tired for what little I can chew.

GIVE ME RECOMMENDATIONS. Warm food ones. D:

I have had recently:
French onion soup (mashing onion with tongue, but still tiring jaw)
Amy's Chunky Tomato Soup (omgsogood)

In fridge/cabinets, not yet eaten:
Tasty Bite Punjab Eggplant Curry
Tasty Bite Madres Lentil Curry
Beef Pho Broth
Thai Chicken Soup Broth
Oatmeal? (One had chunks of nuts/fruit, the plain is being transformed to overnight oats)

Other recommendations? Ma said ramen, but I feel I'd have to practically pulverize the noodles before overcooking them to death... And would still overwork my jaw trying to eat them.

Edit;
I was removing all cold options on my "had recently" and "in cabinets" list. Missed one.

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    When I was on liquids for my jaw, I ate a lot of puréed soups for lunch/dinners. I also would purée veggies with a touch of stock or water and add seasoning as desired.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    When I had a wisdom tooth pulled, I ate mostly tomato soup and mashed potatoes. My mom made me some fresh mashed potatoes but I also got the tub o' mashed potatoes from the refrigerator section, and those were awesome when compared to my other limited options.

Not hot, but I also ate a fair amount of chocolate ice cream :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and gravy. Mashed squash or sweet potatoes.

Creamed tuna? Cheese omelet. Tiny pasta like orzo

Baked apples (or other fruit cobbler) in the microwave. Make sure to peel fruit first.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    Mashed potatoes sound good.

EGGS. I FORGOT ABOUT EEGGGSSSSS. o: I have a ton of eggwhites in the fridge (costco). Good time to make some omelettes with them.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    cream of wheat or cream of rice (smoother than oatmeal), knox gelatin is pretty versatile (can be melted & mixed to thicken), mashed potatoes or any other starch (instant versions pretty smooth/less grit)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Not hot, but you can make a milkshake with Halo Top or other low calorie ice cream + skim milk.

If you get sick of mashed potatoes, there are other root veggies you can mash. Sweet potatoes sound good. You can make them savory, or throw in some maple syrup/brown sugar/honey/etc. Same thing goes for carrots.

There's also silken tofu, which you can make sweet or savory. Scrambled tofu if you want it savory; vegan chocolate pudding if you want sweet. Definitely get silken tofu for this since regular tofu isn't going to be soft enough.

How about small, soft grains like quinoa?

Also, well mashed avocado, or non-chunky guacamole. Throw it on the quinoa. Maybe with some scrambled eggs or silken tofu scramble. Mmm.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    Mashed sweet potatoes sound heavenly, I think I'll do that soon. If I make tofu, I prefer it either firm or in a super spicy soup, so I think I'll have to avoid it just to avoid the temptation.

I don't have any quinoa, I'm more of a rice fiend. I have a lot of medium-grain calrose rice... I wonder if it'd work well to overcook it and maybe make a bit of a porridge. Can even throw an egg on it, then. Hmm.

This is definitely helping give ideas on some more of my options, thank you everyone! Not feeling quite as annoyed with my food option at the moment. :)
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ooh I like someone else's idea about squash. Cook yellow squash, onions, and butter down to a mush. It is so good 😊
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I ate a lot of cream of wheat. It's a hot cereal but very smooth. It's delicious with maple syrup.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Porridge would work. It is hot, filling and you do not need to chew. You could even add a mashed banana or berries to it.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    Thanks, all! I was beginning to get tunnel vision on what I could eat/drink. I know I need the calories for healing, but was having issues today actually stomaching so much food.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My daughter broke her jaw NYE and had to be on a soft/liquid diet for 3 full weeks. And she is gluten intolerant. Ugh.

Butternut squash soup
    Smooth loaded baked potato soup
    Grits (both savory and sweet, cooked a little loose)
    Oatmeal (again a little loose, and quick oats, not chewy steel cut)
    Homemade Creamy chicken and potato soup, pureed
    Really any soup, given a quick whirl to get out the chunks
    Yogurt
    Protein drinks
    Smoothies
    Milkshakes
    Slightly runny mashed potatoes
    Refried beans and salsa and melted cheese (she added a little water to make it soupy, sounds gross but she said it was good
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    I forgot to mention... Despite me having soup, it is recommended to not have a lot of soup. The slurping can affect the blood clots in the holes left by the missing teeth and can increase your chances of dry socket.

I had even grabbed some 'just in case' straws before the surgery, but you aren't supposed to use them, either... xD;

I have a blender, but it isn't that good. I may try to use it to soften some of the soups I do have. Chicken Cheese Enchilada... Yum.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I would just saute some veggies that didn't bother my mouth(low acid) and then puree them with canned chickpeas with my hand/stick blender.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    a nice bowl of warm pumpkin soup with nutmeg - hmmmmmmmmm

or make a mixed vegetables soup and blend it in the blender. can even add meat to the whole thing and blend that too for protein

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you can get one quickly you should get yourself an inexpensive stick blender. They are a must-have in the kitchen anyway.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you can get one quickly you should get yourself an inexpensive stick blender. They are a must-have in the kitchen anyway.

Issue is that I wouldn't use it much except for this week or two... xD;

We don't even own a microwave.
  • healthwise322
    healthwise322 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My daughter loved eggs drop soup. Had 8 removed two weeks ago.

EGGS. I FORGOT ABOUT EEGGGSSSSS. o: I have a ton of eggwhites in the fridge (costco). Good time to make some omelettes with them.[/quote]

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time. It is so handy for dressings, sauces, purees, soups, and more.

I am on my second one because I killed my first one with so much use. It took about 7 years but still...

Ok. I was no help. Hope you recover quickly.

• PixelPuff
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I use mine all the time. It is so handy for dressings, sauces, purees, soups, and more.

I am on my second one because I killed my first one with so much use. It took about 7 years but still...

Ok. I was no help. Hope you recover quickly.

No, you helped! I may check around to see if friends or family have one I can borrow.