Liquid diet help (NOT fad diet)

Options
2»

Replies

• _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    after I had tonsillectomy soft boiled eggs, protein ice cream, and jelly pots were my best friends
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Honestly, get a stick blender! They are so wonderful.

After she had her wisdom teeth out, our daughter lived on mashed potatoes and creamed soups. We make our creamed soups by simmering veggies in small amount of broth and then pureeing them with cottage cheese with a stick blender. The idea is to keep the amount of broth small so the soup comes out pretty thick. I keep a lid on the pot and the majority of the veggies pretty much steam.
  • RoxyWhoShrinkyDink
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I forgot to mention... Despite me having soup, it is recommended to not have a lot of soup. The slurping can affect the blood clots in the holes left by the missing teeth and can increase your chances of dry socket.

I had even grabbed some 'just in case' straws before the surgery, but you aren't supposed to use them, either... xD;

I have a blender, but it isn't that good. I may try to use it to soften some of the soups I do have. Chicken Cheese Enchilada... Yum.

I can't help about the straws, but when I had to go through this I was told by my dentist that if I put the soups in mugs and drank them to eliminate the slurping it would be ok.

It sounds really weird, but one thing I did then was to mix mashed potato with broth and then I was able to drink that from a mug too. It made basically soup. It was pretty good.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you had wisdom teeth removed, it is suggested not to eat rice or oatmeal until the stitches fall out. You could get the small grains stuck in the wound and they would need to cut the stitches to remove it, then stitch it back up. You could get a bad infection from this too. I had planned on rice and oatmeal until the oral surgeon told me not to.

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed last year at the same time. The week of soft foods only was a killer. I lived off of protein shakes, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, yogurt, scrambled eggs, and V8.

If you're still having issues with pain & bleeding, you can put cold used black tea bags in your mouth. The tannic acid in the tea help with clotting and the cold feels nice. This was suggested by my oral surgeon.

Oh, and just be careful with the spicier foods that you have in your cupboard. That could be painful. I made the mistake of putting hot sauce on my scrambled eggs and it burned really bad.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    just chuck any type of soup or stew or Chili in a blender, then pour it into a bowl and heat it up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    You can pick up an immersion (stick) blender at any thrift store for probably around $5.

Blenders are a pain, you have to take it out of some back cupboard, set it up, wash all the parts separately, reassemble, put it back away. Too much trouble. Immersion blenders are awesome, blend in the pot.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    baby food (I had a fair bit of that when my wisdom teeth were pulled). (other options I can think of are already mentioned). On the soup: Campbell's (I think) makes ready-made smooth soups in drinking cans (I don't recall any slurping when eating/drinking it like that).
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I work in my oral surgery department of a dental school. I always suggest macaroni and cheese....grilled cheese sandwich (no crust). These are soft enough but more like food than ice cream, yogurt or soup. 😏
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My favorite cauliflower soup is what I ate when I was on liquids due to surgery.

Cauliflower cheese soup.

1 large head of cauliflower
    1 med vidalia onion
    2 T Butter
    2 T sugar
    1 quart (or more) chicken stock, should be enough to cover vegetables**
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup sherry
    1/2 cup half and half
    1 cup Velveeta
    1 cup swiss cheese or Cheddar or mix grated
    Salt and Pepper
    Cayenne pepper (start with about 1/4 teaspoon and work up to taste) This is the most important ingredient as it really adds flavor.

Cut the cauliflower into florets and set aside.
    Slice onion into strips and sauté in butter in the bottom of a large soup pot. As they are cooking add sugar and caramelize. Once the onions are brown add the stock and cauliflower. Boil until cauliflower is well cooked. Puree in blender until smooth in batches then return to soup pot. (I get a big bowl out and put the puree in there until it is all done then add back to the pot. Shake flour and water together until well mixed and add to soup mixture. Let it boil and thicken slightly. Add half and half, sherry, cheeses and seasonings. Simmer together until cheese is completely melted and serve. This is not low calorie.

** I use water with Knorr Chicken crystals.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the suggestions, but I had jaw surgery in 2010 and was on a liquid diet for quite a few weeks. You can put nearly anything in a blender with enough liquid. Chile, mac and cheese, green chile chicken soup, mashed potatoes, etc. Things like Ensure and Carnation instant breakfast are tastier than you would think.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth out I ate some of the following: mashed potato, tinned spaghetti hoops, cup of soup with bits of bread dunked into them and left until they are soft, porridge, yoghurt, vegetable risotto (using only peas and sweetcorn for the veg part and chicken stock rather than vegetable stock to add flavour), baked beans mashed up.

I would usually have the mashed potato and spaghetti hoops (or mashed beans) together.

Hope that helps x