eating disorders, and diets

Literally the pain of eating and knowing im going to want to purge but I have to try to resist always gives me anxiety

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    I know it's really tough as I am a mostly recovered anorexic binge/purge subtype (i don't purge anymore). Do you have any distraction strategies that you can use after eating? I find that helps for me when I am anxious.

I don't know your interests but is there something you like doing that you could do right after eating which would make it difficult to purge?
  • jacksonkris8
    jacksonkris8 Posts: 51 Member
    The notes above are good. Distractions are the best.. take a walk.. stay around people so u cant ie a public place... turn on a movie havent seen ir start binge watching something good and every time it comes on turn on an episode?
    The sucky part about it is you have to want to stop to do it... it's hard to do when it feels so much better after. I get it totally.
    Here if u need someone to talk to ❤️
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    That's why there are therapists.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    It is very challenging, but it is possible! There are helplines you can call to support a moment of struggle, and you can always find a distracting task. When I was in traditional recovery (a program), I'd color or work on a task as I ate. It was a trick to distract myself as much as possible as I did something I really disliked. Then, I'd take a walk after and call a friend in order to get myself away from a bathroom or any place I'd possibly want to purge. It's not an easy road, but recovery is so important! If you ever need an internet distraction, PM me or something! Best of luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Literally the pain of eating and knowing im going to want to purge but I have to try to resist always gives me anxiety

Seek therapy.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Get help please. I have a friend currently in an in patient treatment program as hmmm because as she revealed for the past 5 months she's only been drinking coffee.

Get help before it's too late.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Please see a professional. There are some awesome and well informed people here, but nothing beats face to face help and accountability. I watched a dear friend go through this. She refused all forms of help.
  • allthatgliitters
    allthatgliitters Posts: 79 Member
    I have never b/p but i am in recovery right now without any help...it is a struggle but it is possible and i one day hope to be able to eat something without thought... just focus on what you will gain in life xxx
  • I think I might have an eating disorder but I’m not sure 😔