Women 70 and over

Options
Hi. Well I know how hard it is to lose weight when you’re over 70. I cannot exercise at all because of terrible arthritis. Restricted on green foods because of Coumadin. So. Help please.

Replies

• wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    HI I'm 40s.
    What's your plan ? What is one thing you plan to do differently for a week to feel better?
    And what is your why ? Why do you want things to be different. ..how will it change your life ?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    The way to lose weight is to reduce calories below the number of calories you burn. You don't need to exercise to do that (though if you can, it helps, and of course exercise is good for other reasons). You also don't need to eat any specific foods (like green ones).

Start logging your eating here on MFP, trying to be as accurate as possible. Start by trying to hit the calorie goal MFP gives you for a small weight loss rate (like half a pound a week, maybe 1 pound if you're quite overweight). Eat foods you enjoy, experimenting with which foods, and when you eat them, to find the combination that keeps you feeling most full and happy. Monitor weight loss for 4-6 weeks, then adjust your calorie goal if necessary based on results.

I'm 63. I lost about 50 pounds in less than a year at age 59-60, while severely hypothyroid, without materially changing my activity/exercise level. One of my friends lost about 25 pounds at age 70, without even calorie counting, just by cutting back eating.

You can lose weight, too. Mostly, it takes consistency and persistence. Since you can't exercise, I'd encourage a slower loss rate, and encourage you to work toward improving nutrition (especially protein) if there are any issue there, in order to keep as much of your existing muscle as you can while losing weight.

Best wishes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ann.

I'm in my mid-sixties and I lost a lot of weight in my mid-fities by using this site.

I think you have to just start and make it a priority.

Learn to log food. Make it your job.

If you can do any kind of exercise at all, it's good for you. I know arthritis is actually helped by exercise, so see what your doctor says and maybe find a pool with exercise classes. Lots of older women in those classes and the water gives joints some relief.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    hotwheels4 wrote: »
    Hi. Well I know how hard it is to lose weight when you’re over 70. I cannot exercise at all because of terrible arthritis. Restricted on green foods because of Coumadin. So. Help please.

71 here, I also take blood thinners it is mainly the dark green veg that's can affect INR levels, the darker the veg the more it affects. There are lots of things you can have. Mobility can be a problem, have you tried armchair excercises. It will be a slower loss but can be done. I'm wishing you lots of good luck? Take one day at a time.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I’m 66 and understand what you’re saying. I would suggest that your Doctor refer you to PT or go online to U Tube where there are numerous gentle exercises for Seniors with limited movement! There is always something we can do!
  • yevasdottir
    yevasdottir Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good to find an age group I fit in to. I’m 72 and have the final 7 or 8 pounds to go - first to lose, then to maintain. I am fortunate that I appear to have few old-person-related problems to inhibit activity. I volunteer as a National Park Ranger and this primarily means foot patrols on trails. I’m also an active member of a mountaineering club. If I got my bike serviced I’d be out on that, too.

I have an old injury which means that I can not run.

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in autumn 2014 and thereupon I lost the plot. He died in November 2016. I stayed in the “lost plot” zone until earlier this year when I began to come back to life and to an awareness that I was carrying over 20 pounds too much.

My current aim is to lose just half a pound a week, through regular exercise (which includes strength work in the fitness suite at the gym as well as at home) and sensible, calorie-monitored eating. This weight didn’t pile up overnight and an overnight “solution” is not the answer. I’m re-educating myself.

I don’t know how often I’ll check in, here. Well have to see.