How to get in the right mindset for weight loss?

Options
Alright, so I've been struggling with weight loss since middle school, and as of right now, I'm a junior in University.
I am at the highest weight I've ever been right now, and I really want to lose weight so I've started thinking about all my past attempts at weight loss, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not just about eating healthy and exercising — you have to be positive and a non-toxic mind in order to really go though with weight loss successfully.

And that's my problem.

I absolutely hate myself.
So much, that I haven't looked in the mirror in so long. I feel like I was bullied into submission in middle school. Before, middle school, I was fine. I never had a negative thought, but after 3 years of torment, I just... learned to hate myself and started agreeing with what everyone said. Whenever someone calls me 'beautiful' or 'pretty', I freak out and accuse them of lying or saying that to be polite or to make me feel better.

Anyway, I want to get better, but I have no idea how. I've become a binge eater because of my past (and family issues too) and I heard Yoga helps with the mind, so I'm starting to do that and I hope it helps, but it kinda sounds too good to be true...

Replies

• eriellegonzalez01
    eriellegonzalez01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @apullum
    I have tried going to my University Counseling Center, but when I had gone for the first time and set up an appointment for the next, it always took them months for them to see me again, or they kept rescheduling, so I just stopped going all together.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    @apullum
    I have tried going to my University Counseling Center, but when I had gone for the first time and set up an appointment for the next, it always took them months for them to see me again, or they kept rescheduling, so I just stopped going all together.

Are you able to see a therapist off campus?
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @apullum
    Perhaps. I currently live in a small college town, so I don't think I'll find anything here, but Austin is 30 mins away from where I am. Maybe, I'll go somewhere there.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You should totally read : You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life. I think it will help you realize how great you are, and help you with self love affirmations. I think you are starting at the right place, and getting things off your chest. Take it day by day...baby steps. <3 Were all here for you if you need support.
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @guil0095
    What's it about? Is it a fiction book?

Thanks for the support ❤️
  • ItsAJourny
    ItsAJourny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @Running2Fit
    Yeah, I figured.
    I wish I wasn't this way, you know?
    But, I'm going to try Yoga and just see where that takes me...
    Though, I tried going to a yoga class on my own once a week ago, and I couldn't even make it inside without panicking and running off. I have such a low self-esteem. I saw mirrors and thin people and just scrammed.
    I had a friend come with me after that, but I wonder if I'm going to be dependent on her forever...

Yoga has helped me to love and accept myself. Therapy has also helped immensely. Ideally, find a great therapist and do yoga. Be patient and kind to yourself. Find friends who accept you. Treat yourself well with healthy food and exercise. Good luck!
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @apullum
    Thank You.
    Yes, there's group counseling, but I don't know. It sounds very nerve wrecking to me. I'm very anti-social, but I will definitely ask them about other local therapists. I can't believe that didn't cross my mind.
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @MeganReid1991
    I wish I was more patient. When I don't see results immediately, I freak out and get so depressed.
    Especially since I've been struggling for years.

But yes, my University offers yoga 4 times a week, so I'll dip my toes in and try it out for awhile. I went to one session and it was nice. I slept well that night. As for counseling, I'll look into it.

I really do want to get better...
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @ItsAJourny
    Thank You! ❤️
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    @apullum
    Thank You.
    Yes, there's group counseling, but I don't know. It sounds very nerve wrecking to me. I'm very anti-social, but I will definitely ask them about other local therapists. I can't believe that didn't cross my mind.

I think it’s understandable to feel nervous about joining a group, especially a group that discusses difficult personal things. It’s not for everyone. But, sometimes it can be good to meet others who are going through similar things as you are and can relate to you. It can help with understanding that you aren’t alone. If you try it and it’s not for you, then you don’t have to keep going.
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @MeganReid1991
    Thank You. ❤️
  • eriellegonzalez01
    Options
    @apullum
    We'll see. I'm still not sure — I'll have to give it some thought.