Keto flu, I think?

Options

Replies

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Keto flu really isn't the flu - it's an electrolyte imbalance caused by the massive water dump at the start of Keto. Drink some pickle juice, eat some salt, drink a zero calorie sports drink, etc. Since you are dumping water, you are flushing salts, so you need to replace the salts. Most people recommend eating 3000 - 5000 mg of salt a day on the keto diet.

This. Those are all symptoms of electrolyte imbalance, so.wtimes called keto flu. You need a lot more sodium and possibly magnesium. There is roughly 2300 mg of sodium. In one teaspoon of salt so you need about 2+ tsp of salt a day.

For a quick fix, est more salty bullion or eat 1/2tsp salt with water.

Thank you, yes I have been doing the broth since yesterday and it made a huge difference!!
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Salt, salt and salt. Also, magnesium at night!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor. If you live in the northern hemisphere the real flu is in season and really starting to pick up. If the doc says it is the flu it might be a good time for a little diet break while you recover. The actual flu is bad enough without the potential for a keto flu added on top of it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Go see a doctor. If you live in the northern hemisphere the real flu is in season and really starting to pick up. If the doc says it is the flu it might be a good time for a little diet break while you recover. The actual flu is bad enough without the potential for a keto flu added on top of it.

Influenza is a respiratory infection, there's no indication in the OP that is what is going on here (not to say that OP shouldn't see a doctor).
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Influenza is a respiratory infection, there's no indication in the OP that is what is going on here (not to say that OP shouldn't see a doctor).

So I am actually aware that influenza is a respiratory illness with most public Heath departments considering fever of 100 or higher in addition to sore throats and/or cough being reportable (within whatever their numbers criteria is) as flu or influenza like illness.
    You are right that OP did not mention respiratory symptoms, but I have been seeing the symptoms she mentions in people who do go on to test positive for influenza. I also find that a lot of them don't mention the sore throat until I ask them about it, but that could be specific to the ones I see and tell to go to the doctor to be evaluated. Granted, what I see is children and nausea and dizziness IS a more common symptom in children than adults so I guess you do have me there.
    Her symptoms are also pretty consistent with what some call the "stomach flu", which isn't influenza.
    You are also right that OP did not specifically mention respiratory symptoms and I apologize for including what I've seen of people who do end up testing positive for the flu with her symptoms in my advice to OP. I apologize to anybody who read my post and confused "stomach flu" with influenza due to me. Please forgive me and don't take medical advise over the Internet anyway.
    Either way, the point of my post was for OP to not ignore her symptoms due to a diet having her feel bad and be seen by an actual doctor.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options

So I am actually aware that influenza is a respiratory illness with most public Heath departments considering fever of 100 or higher in addition to sore throats and/or cough being reportable (within whatever their numbers criteria is) as flu or influenza like illness.
    You are right that OP did not mention respiratory symptoms, but I have been seeing the symptoms she mentions in people who do go on to test positive for influenza. I also find that a lot of them don't mention the sore throat until I ask them about it, but that could be specific to the ones I see and tell to go to the doctor to be evaluated. Granted, what I see is children and nausea and dizziness IS a more common symptom in children than adults so I guess you do have me there.
    Her symptoms are also pretty consistent with what some call the "stomach flu", which isn't influenza.
    You are also right that OP did not specifically mention respiratory symptoms and I apologize for including what I've seen of people who do end up testing positive for the flu with her symptoms in my advice to OP. I apologize to anybody who read my post and confused "stomach flu" with influenza due to me. Please forgive me and don't take medical advise over the Internet anyway.
    Either way, the point of my post was for OP to not ignore her symptoms due to a diet having her feel bad and be seen by an actual doctor.

No inflenza, no stomach flu. I am doing great today ,thank you though, I now know what to look for in an actual flu. I have never,ever had the flu, but I now know what that looks like, thanks to you all describing the symptoms. I'm doing great today, I was actually just sick the one day, and after following the advice of others who have gone through this, I am doing fantastic.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options
    Typos∆ I meant, I enjoy the way Dr.Berg explains things, and also Dr. Boz. Lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

BTW, you can edit your posts for up to an hour :) No idea what it is on the phone but on desktop you use the gear icon on the right.

Glad you are feeling better!
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

BTW, you can edit your posts for up to an hour :) No idea what it is on the phone but on desktop you use the gear icon on the right.

Glad you are feeling better!

Oh, ok, thank you! That helps, I always tend to type to fast and always have to edit lol. Thanks!!
  • Nykkismommy21
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Kata34 wrote: »
    Keto flu will pass very quickly. Then you will feel so much better than before you started keto. BTW, Keto has been around much, much longer than low fat and low calorie diets. I guess that makes them the fad diets. You're doing good. Don't let anyone discourage you from doing what you know is best for you.

Thank you!! I will continue to stick to my goals! It is kinda depressing knowing I can't ask any Keto related questions on this forum because I will get bombarded with people trying to make me feel some type of way. Oh well. I am glad there is plenty of information out there anyway, so I will seek it when in need. Thank you for your encouraging words!!

The thing is, the boards see a lot of folks come on these boards looking to do keto because they think it's guaranteed weight loss or someone they knew did it/is doing it and lost weight. It works for those who can be satiated by that sort of diet and if it works for you that's fantastic. Lots of people do keto on these boards. Just understand it still requires a deficit and if after a bit you find you're struggling, switch to something else.

Thank you.. I do understand what you're saying. I guess some are more cautious then others. I myself don't really speak on diets I myself have never tried, but that's doesn't mean others are wrong for how they feel. I have lost 3 lbs this week, and wether it be water weight or what not, I am happy to see the scale going down. I am so happy to be one of the people who are satieted with this meal plan. I don't feel deprived, I still get to eat my salads, the cucumbers I love, berries my favorite fruit( except for bananas, goodbye bananas, for now) and this diet , Keto lifestyle has me trying out new recipes, like beef n broccoli, salmon and cauliflower mash, it's just great because being a mother of young boys, I was eating leftovers, lol like nuggets, pizza bagels, eating noodles ( my kids are picky) and I would just eat whatever they liked, but I don't even like those things. I always had a banana smoothie in the morning, and ate cereal late at night. I am sure I mindlessly munched on stuff too. Anyway all this to say, I am sticking to a calorie deficit, I eat a variety of wonderful food, and I hope people who aren't on the keto diet think people who are , are eating bacon, gobs of cheese and heavy cream all day. It's sooo much more. And I hope whatever diet, journey, lifestyle people are on, I wish them sooo much success,and happiness. I have depressive disorder, am a single stay at home mom, who was ( now I'm crying) just here going through the motions of everyday with a blank look in her eyes, and in the last few weeks decided to take my life back ( I started a week before getting on my fitness pal and on keto with changing my diet,) with my youngest going to preschool in a few weeks, I now have a good 3 hours of the day to myself that I am looking forward to going to the gym around my house!! I was going to the gym and doing great before getting pregnant back to back with my kids, whose dad I met while going to the gym lol. Anyway I'm rambling, I guess I got emotional. The last time I was on My Fitness Pal, I got into a heated argument with some people on one of the forums. Sticking up for someone else and it just put me off. I had gone down from 196 to 181 in about 45 days ( which I gained back after) but ultimately was so discouraged at how some ,very few some, I'm sure, treat the newer people sometimes with the questions they ask. I just don't want that to happen again. I don't want to be scared of coming to the forum. Because even though yes, I can go Google answers to my questions, this is a community page, and it's nice to talk to other people,and ask if their experiences, and also share in their triumphs... anyway I'm sorry, I just wish everyone well!! So much Love and Light!!!💛