All inclusive vacation

Options
Bethherrendeensmith
Bethherrendeensmith Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hello, I’m leaving for an all-inclusive vacation for the next five days!! Any suggestions for healthy eating and drinking?? Should I really try and watch it, or relax and enjoy? I have been really on track and motivated, and I’m worried this will throw me off!! Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I enjoy my vacations...I don't go off the wall, but I do indulge. You can't really do much in a week that can't be undone fairly quickly...it's just 5 days.

I've never actually gained weight (fat) on vacation...airplane bloat and food baby bloat, yes...but not actual fat.
  • H_Dubbs
    H_Dubbs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in balance. This is a vacation, you worked hard to pay for and to earn the days off. You should enjoy some liquor and some foods that you love and you should do it guilt free. Having said that, does every meal need to be a total calorie blow out? Nope! This is where balance comes in.

The last all-inclusive I was at had a beautiful salad bar and soup bar. You could literally build a salad to your exact liking with a huge assortment of veggies and toppings etc. It also had lots of cooked veggies. So have the pasta, or potatoes, or tacos or steak or chicken wings or pizza or whatever it is that feels indulgent, but have something healthy with it.

Another great thing about buffets is you can serve yourself a lot, or a little. Maybe just a taste is all you need to be satisfied. This is especially true with desserts. Do you need a piece of cheesecake the size of your head? I liked being able to have a small taste of this and a small taste of that.

Don't stress about logging. I always logged something for breakfast to keep my streak alive but disregarded the rest of the day. You need a vacation from this too.

Since you're worried about losing your momentum, make a vow that when you return home, you return to your great habits.

Enjoy yourself guilt free and find new motivation when you get back!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Just drink your calories. Lol.

Ok, I believe in some moderation while on vacation, but not much. Try to eat a lighter breakfast and lunch if you can and enjoy dinner. Save all the room for cocktails. Haha.

Plan on putting on some weight, don’t fret it, and deal with it when you get back.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think enjoy yourself, but if there are better choices that you can make during your vacation that won't ruin the enjoyment of it, then go for those.

And try to be active! That will help mitigate some of it. My wife and I went on vacation for our anniversary a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't all inclusive, but there was plenty of opportunities for eating more than we normally would. We made good choices where we could, but above all, we were active. Horseback riding, snorkeling, lots of walking and swimming. Not only did it help keep off some of the calories, it left our bodies feeling good so that we didn't feel like we were backtracking. It made it easier to return to normal once we got home.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Relax and enjoy! You can be mindful of your choices but I wouldn’t stress about it or try to track calories.

I also tend to be way more active on vacation so it kind of balances out. I actually lost weight when I went to Hawaii this summer and I wasn’t thinking about my diet at all.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Just back from an all inclusive vacation myself, I pretty much maintained my loss.

I just made a point of volume eating and bulking my plate up with salad and veg on top of a portion of something protein and some bread on the side for some starchy carbs as was walking a lot anyway.

I kept the drink to a minimum just a couple of glasses of wine here and there and one or two iced cocktails to cool me down by the pool, drank sparkling water the rest of the time.

You'll probably see a gain when you get back on the scale, it'll most likely be mostly water weight as you may be eating differently than normal and air travel can also add to it too. So maybe stay off the scale the first week after you get back if that's going to discourage you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    First, I’d go with a plan.

If we want to achieve and maintain significant weight loss long term we need to learn to operate within some reasonable limits. What do you think those limits should be for your trip? What are your danger zones?

What would go wrong for me would be a face plant into the dessert table. Drinking, while also added calories, would increase the likelihood and magnitude of the dessert face plant.

If I were planning for me, I would limit my drinking to the cocktail hr. That’s singular. And stick to simple drinks avoiding the umbrella drinks they are likely pushing. I’d eat a lot of protein and veggies, avoid carbs in general and have ice cream as dessert after dinner. If there’s some kind of chocolate cake or cheese cake thing (these are my things) I’d try to stay away from it until the last night. But like I said, that’s planning for me.

A thing I noticed when I got involved in weight loss was my vacations became centered around activity. What’s going on besides eating and drinking? Do that stuff.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those recommending keeping active. I eat more on vacation but I've darn well earned it with all the walking/swimming etc that I do!
  • cjchelli
    cjchelli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    H_Dubbs wrote: »
    Don't stress about logging. I always logged something for breakfast to keep my streak alive but disregarded the rest of the day. You need a vacation from this too.

Great idea, thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The contest is to have and enjoy memories.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I vacation a lot since I'm an empty nester.....and I don't want to be dieting in between each one. I did that last year..and It gets old. If this is a one single vacation you're taking this year. then why not just enjoy yourself. If you plan on taking more..at some point you have to figure out a better strategy.

One is working out if they have a gym..do an hour of cardio a day
    eat a low calorie breakfast.. pass on the big fatty resort breakfasts ..save your eating for lunch and dinner and having drinks.

be active.. and you won't gain.