Confused !!

Options
I’m a little confused about how many calories I’m actually burning a day and how to work out my calorie deficit! I’ll give yesterday as a example I burnt 1000 active calories ,resting calories 1935 I had a bit of a “bad” day calorie wise even though everything I ate was healthy fruit vegetables fish etc I ate over my calories and was near the 2000 mark which I generally do daily but more like 1700 (my goal is 1400 a day) !!! I’m not over weight just looking to get in shape can anybody give any advice on what I’m currently doing what results will I get if any ?? Do we count our resting calories ?? And is eating 2000 calories of healthy food the same as eating 2000 calories worth of pizza , burgers and things I no nutritional wise it’s obviously not but I mean as far as putting on the same weight x

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If you set up your profile in MFP (select to lose 0.5lb, or maximum 1lb per week if you're not overweight) it will give you a daily calorie goal. This goal includes a deficit, so any additional exercise you do should be added and you should eat at least some of those calories back.

Regarding your second question, yes, 2000 calories of fruit and fish and 2000 calories of pizza and chocolate have the same effect in terms of weight gain/loss. A calorie is just a unit of energy.

Of course, you may feel better and it will be better for your overall health to eat a balanced diet with lots of nutrients but strictly for weight loss, the type of food doesn't matter.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    jb8ckadb8fth.jpg
  • tarajones9898
    tarajones9898 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok Thankyou think I need to set up my profile again I didn’t no you could put in a specific weight loss to loose .. Thankyou again hopefully I can get on the right track now 😊
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Active + resting = total burn

Total burn - food eaten = deficit or surplus.

3500 Cal of deficit or surplus is roughly approximate to a 1lb change in weight.

Getting into shape does not **require** a weight loss or weight gain.

Normal weight people trying to "tone" may want to have a very small deficit so as to preserve muscle.

Small deficits equal small changes to the underlying energy reserves (body fat).

this means that water weight variations can easily overwhelm any of these underlying changes when it comes to looking at your scale weight.

A trending weight application and sufficient patience are strongly suggested!
  • tarajones9898
    tarajones9898 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Aw Thankyou for all the help and advice hopefully I can get on track now and understand what I’m doing properly !! xx
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    One little question...when you say active and resting calories-is that coming from an Apple Watch or a Garmin or ????

And is whatever you’re using synced to mfp?