is doing a workout after eating a large potion of snacks (unintentionally) an unhealthy habit?

Options
a general question bc i’m thinking of doing this like if i eat something i didn’t intend to like a lot of chocolate like i did today (i couldn’t stop myself ) is it an unhealthy thing to excercise after (more excerise than the norm)

just asking bc some of y’all said i’m being obsessive but i just want to make up for overeating (i has about 1,800 calories today maybe slightly more) when my aim is 1,400 at most

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All of the things you're posting suggest an unhealthy relationship with food.
    before i used to eat so much and be an emotional eater. but i think a lot of that was to do with greed and when i say used to i mean a week ago sksks
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @trulyhealy I've now read several of your threads and am wondering what is your goal weight and how many grams of protein do you eat per day?

I used to think there was something wrong with me, but it turned out when I ate more protein, like the 20% in MFP's default macros, my episodes of uncontrollable eating went way down.

For emotional eating, regular exercise helps me immensely. I use this preventively, not punitively.

i don’t really keep track of marcos but i just looked at it on average it’s like 15% protein and one day it was 22% and idk my goal weight, just whenever i look slim but i’m possibly losing overall 30 pounds and i’m currently 154
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I generally don’t. That said I’d be lying if I said I didn’t take a walk after a meal that had more calories than expected. That’s not to burn all the excess calories, but just to lessen the impact a bit. One day eating around maintenance or even in a slight surplus isn’t going to ruin everything after all.

If you are doing it because you feel guilty or as punishment for overeating, that would definitely be something to be careful of.
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hate thinking of exercise as a consequence or punishment. I'd hit the gym first - I love working out, I feel amazing afterward, and it almost always curbs whatever cravings I had going in so I can still indulge rather than over-indulge. Work, then reward (within reason and calorie limits).

As long as you know that 20 minutes on an elliptical won't earn you a thousand calorie dessert. ;)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I don't know it's necessarily physically unhealthy, but breaking the transaction-based relationship between exercise and calories/food has helped me tremendously from a mental health/food relationship standpoint. The tipping point for me to realize I needed to do something different in my approach was an instance where my wife and I were going to go to our local Chipotle for dinner, she drove but I insisted on running (3 miles) so I could justify getting guac on my bowl that night. Her reaction was more than enough to make me rethink things.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    a general question bc i’m thinking of doing this like if i eat something i didn’t intend to like a lot of chocolate like i did today (i couldn’t stop myself ) is it an unhealthy thing to excercise after (more excerise than the norm)

just asking bc some of y’all said i’m being obsessive but i just want to make up for overeating (i has about 1,800 calories today maybe slightly more) when my aim is 1,400 at most

I've heard this informally called exorecia. Obviously, it isn't taken to be mentally healthy.
    For emotional eating, regular exercise helps me immensely. I use this preventively, not punitively.
    I just recently listened to a podcast where Matt Stranberg, someone who specializes in eating disorders, say the term emotional eating is a bit of a misused term. He felt that it is also unhealthy to pretend eating is an unemotional activity - the people that who are viewing their food only as just clusters of macros, micros, and calories are having just as much an issue. The problem as he sees it is when eating becomes a person's only coping strategy or an excessive coping strategy.
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/darko-botic/the-man-who-lost-200-lbs-podcast/e/54015045

I agree with him on what the problem is, and that eating (good food, eating events like a holiday dinner, etc.) inherently evoke emotions, but I usually find that people who use the term emotional eating are not trying to deny that, and are speaking about using it as a coping strategy or to stifle uncomfortable feelings.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I've heard this informally called exorecia. Obviously, it isn't taken to be mentally healthy.
    I just recently listened to a podcast where Matt Stranberg, someone who specializes in eating disorders, say the term emotional eating is a bit of a misused term. He felt that it is also unhealthy to pretend eating is an unemotional activity - the people that who are viewing their food only as just clusters of macros, micros, and calories are having just as much an issue. The problem as he sees it is when eating becomes a person's only coping strategy or an excessive coping strategy.
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/darko-botic/the-man-who-lost-200-lbs-podcast/e/54015045

I agree with him on what the problem is, and that eating (good food, eating events like a holiday dinner, etc.) inherently evoke emotions, but I usually find that people who use the term emotional eating are not trying to deny that, and are speaking about using it as a coping strategy or to stifle uncomfortable feelings.
    He felt using it as a coping strategy wasn't inherently wrong - the issue is when it is the only strategy someone has.
    He also wasn't saying it should have some emotion just because of family and others, but because of the amount of time we spend in our life eating. Eat a half hour a meal, 3 times a day, should you be spending 1.5 hours per day for your entire life trying to pretend you have no emotions?
    He actually had a number of interesting things to say that were about similar subtle points, or points that need subtlety - like it is easy for people to think all people with anorexic eating patterns (avoiding food even as need) have body image issues, but he's dealt with some people that undereat because it dulls other pains like PTSD.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

He felt using it as a coping strategy wasn't inherently wrong - the issue is when it is the only strategy someone has.
    He also wasn't saying it should have some emotion just because of family and others, but because of the amount of time we spend in our life eating. Eat a half hour a meal, 3 times a day, should you be spending 1.5 hours per day for your entire life trying to pretend you have no emotions?
    He actually had a number of interesting things to say that were about similar subtle points, or points that need subtlety - like it is easy for people to think all people with anorexic eating patterns (avoiding food even as need) have body image issues, but he's dealt with some people that undereat because it dulls other pains like PTSD.

Well, "emotional eating" as @lemurcat2 defined it upthread was one of several unhealthy coping strategies I've successfully replaced with healthy coping strategies.

A quick definition of "healthy" - they bring me joy rather than shame.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    @trulyhealy I've now read several of your threads and am wondering what is your goal weight and how many grams of protein do you eat per day?

I used to think there was something wrong with me, but it turned out when I ate more protein, like the 20% in MFP's default macros, my episodes of uncontrollable eating went way down.

i don’t really keep track of marcos but i just looked at it on average it’s like 15% protein and one day it was 22% and idk my goal weight, just whenever i look slim but i’m possibly losing overall 30 pounds and i’m currently 154

Ok, next time you feel the urge to eat uncontrollably (or however you define it) check to see if you have been low on protein or overall calories that day.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating and going for walk or run after. and at the same time it will help you keep on your calorie goal. If this suits you!