diet only success?

Options
I know that weight loss is really just math, and Calories In vs. Calories Out, but wondering if there is any one out there that lost weight on diet only? I always focus on exercise and then think that it is a buffer to not eat the best. Just hoping to see if anyone has lost weight just on diet? Needing encouragement. Lol... thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I lost my first 20 or so pounds without much exercise other than walking my dog around the block...which was maybe 1/4 mile. Ultimately I wanted to do more. I was a competitive athlete once upon a time and very fit and I wanted some of that back. Also, I was losing weight and eating better in attempt to clean up some very bad blood work and my Dr. told me that regular exercise along with my diet would do more in that regard than diet alone.

I lost my last 20ish Lbs while exercising regularly...but initially, I just wanted to get the diet and food thing down first. I built good habits with baby steps.
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I lost majority of my weight with just dieting. Learning better eating habits helped a lot, everything in moderation.

This also true for me because it is important that I learn how to make better food choices, which I know is a big part of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Of course people can lose weight by simply dieting. But if they are interested in remaining healthy and statistically more likely to stay out of nursing homes when they are older, they should be active throughout their lives.

My mom's osteoporosis doctor wishes she had started strength training decades ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/why-ruth-bader-ginsburg-workout-inspiration-we-all-need-ncna908591

...“With [Ginsburg], I always have to prove the method to my madness,” says Johnson. “Take the ‘multipurpose exercise’ at the very end of the book. She needed to know why she had to do that. I said, ‘Justice, if you can't do this one exercise, you would need a nurse 24/7.’ She looked at me to defend my statement. I had her sit on the [exercise] bench, handed her a weight ball, and had her [stand up and] toss to me with both hands 10 times. I said, ‘You’re doing this because the moment you cannot [gather the strength] to get off a toilet you lose independence. We do it at the end of session because when you have to go to the bathroom it doesn't matter if you're tired.”
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost the first large portion of my weight with no working out. I needed to lose the first bit as I wasn't really able to effectively work out at the weight I was.

Then I started to walk

Then I started to cycle

Now I just signed up for my first (super sprint) triathlon so have commenced a running/cycling/swimming program to prepare for that.

But it all started with zero working out.

It's worth noting that since becoming active and regularly exercising my weight loss progress has in no way increased. It has remained relatively the same and if anything has slowed slightly because
    a) I'm lighter now and my loss rate has naturally decreased
    b) while I'm burning a few extra calories from exercise I also need to eat more calories to fuel these workouts so my overall deficit is unchanged.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I went from 150lb to 105lb just with diet, no macros, no minimum protein just straight CICO. Wouldn't recommend it tbh, I'm still trying to get my glutes and hamstrings back. I looked like a floppy noodle.

I will say that getting a decent eating pattern in place before you start an exercise program can be helpful. Both weights and running make me so hungry and it would be very easy to overeat after exercise if I hadn't gotten that part under control first.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I like the feeling of gaining something, fitness and strength, at the same time as losing something, body fat. It helps me feel like I'm doing something positive and respecting my life and my body rather than just depriving it of yummy stuff and being sad. It's like you're actively participating in getting to where you want to be rather than just sitting there waiting for the weight to fall off. Plus I get to eat more of the yummy stuff and exercise endorphins are great!
  • sdewey415
    sdewey415 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the process of lossing weight via diet alone. Once I get to my first goal weight I will start on the treadmill (that is my prize for getting there). Then I will set another goal. After hitting that second goal I will start lifting. I am doing it in a step by step process, which works for me. So, do what works for you.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Do you consider walking (including moving around in general and purposeful walks) exercise?
    Due to some injuries I stopped purposeful exercise like the gym/running in August but my weight loss has continued. I do walk a lot (average 17,000 steps a day) and since it's winter now there is plenty of shovelling.

• suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm just dieting at the moment because my current weight makes it too difficult to exercise [painful]but as soon as I have dropped another 15lbs I'll start on my exercise bike and get walking because I know getting rid of about 1/3rd of the weight will make it so much easier. I hope I might be able to start sooner...we'll see.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I know that weight loss is really just math, and Calories In vs. Calories Out, but wondering if there is any one out there that lost weight on diet only? I always focus on exercise and then think that it is a buffer to not eat the best. Just hoping to see if anyone has lost weight just on diet? Needing encouragement. Lol... thanks!
    Yes!! I never exercise, I'm too old and arthritic, in fact I find normal walking an effort. So far I have lost 36lbs calorie counting. If I can do it anyone can!

• empressjasmin
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I looked like a floppy noodle.

I am definitely afraid of the floppy noodle look, so I guess both (exercise and diet) together can help to make a difference.

• empressjasmin
    Options
    With a calorie deficit alone, I lost 100 pounds before I began to even walk more. I have bad knees, and getting weight off led to being able to move more. About 6 weeks later I began using the gym at work M-F for about an hour. I lost a total of 140 pounds.

Awesome! So inspiring! Great job!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Do you consider walking (including moving around in general and purposeful walks) exercise?
    Due to some injuries I stopped purposeful exercise like the gym/running in August but my weight loss has continued. I do walk a lot (average 17,000 steps a day) and since it's winter now there is plenty of shovelling.

I do consider walking exercise. It is actually my favorite form of exercise. I'd much rather prefer to do things outdoor rather than indoors.