PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Etc.

Options
How do you fight it! I'm not talking medicine. (Tried medicine, just made me sleepy or hungry.) I'm talking coping. For most part, I know how to cope with my PTSD. However, my depression can get the best of me. It just sucks the energy out of me. Out of the blue. I'll be going to the gym five days a week. Doing good with my diet. THEN. *BAM* I get hit by a semi truck and just don't want to do anything but, work and sleep. I promise you it isn't laziness. The thoughts in my head make me feel like I shouldn't be trying. (I've done this 100's times. What's gonna make a change, this time?!) On my days off I do the chores I need to do and I'm done for the day. I need to find a way to fight against that and go to the gym. Once, I'm at the gym. I feel great! (However, my brain fights against that. For some terrible reason.) I've gotten better with my anxiety but, it will randomly show up too. Example. Shows up to the gym and its packed. Nope, I'll come back later. (When I know, I won't until the day.)

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I recognize that I'm going to have good days and bad days, and try not to beat myself up about it. I also go to therapy twice a month, and that helps me so I can talk out my problems.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I go to therapy - a lot of therapy. In my case, not going to therapy would probably be a death sentence.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had medication that worked and didn't work which carrying side effects and finding the right one is a lot of effort.
    Recognizing when I'm feeling down before the lack of motivation has helped, which can be hard. This allows me to tell my amazing support system who helps me out of it.
    I do yoga at night which helps clear my mind without too much effort.
    Therapy and talking to a doctor has helped as well.
    Keeping busy with my fav hobbies helps me ignore some sysmtoms.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I did therapy for my depression- then my doctor taught me the signs t look for when depression was starting in- so now when and if I get those symptons I will take some time for me- take a mental health day and take care of myself- if not then someties you just have to go to therapy. I also take medication daily
  • tingtang23
    tingtang23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly like you do and my energy gets sucked. Thanks for sharing. I could have written except I am on meds for depression. Plan to ween off soon as I think it keeps me so even keeled I can't feel much.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I suffered from severe post partum anxiety a few years ago. I wouldn’t let people come see the baby, I only left the house to workout and grocery shop, and I hardly slept (even when the kids were).
    For me, working out was my outlet. And once my hormones settled, my anxiety lessened.
    A huge factor for me was talking. I had to communicate my fears and nerves. It helped tremendously.
    Not sure if you mentioned therapy, but that coupled with medication and working out can be a great combination of tools for a lot of people.
    Good luck on your journey and I hope you find some relief.
    (And anyone who has really suffered depression and anxiety knows it’s not laziness ♥️)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    tingtang23 wrote: »
    I feel exactly like you do and my energy gets sucked. Thanks for sharing. I could have written except I am on meds for depression. Plan to ween off soon as I think it keeps me so even keeled I can't feel much.

If you can't feel much the drug or dosage is incorrect. Speaking from experience weening off can be challenging even if you are under a doctors supervision.
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from PTSD/depression/anxiety and if I don’t see the scale move, I get frustrated and eat like 9 gallons of ice cream. Okay, maybe not that many, but it’s not pretty. You’ve just got to try your best to push through the hard days and do something.... You can just go for a walk or ride your bike to get out there and burn some calories. I never want to work out, but I have to remind myself how amazing I feel after I’ve accomplished that for the day. I know it feels overwhelming a lot and some days it’s okay to hibernate, but MORE days it’s important to show up and get it done. It should eventually get easier. Not every medicine makes one sleepy/hungry, so maybe get back with your doctor to find something that does work. Depression is a chemical imbalance that sometimes requires medication for a while (or a long time) to get your equilibrium again. I’ve had good luck with Prozac after my struggles started. Definitely enlist the help of a professional on this one. Good luck!!🍀
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from PTSD and anxiety. It’s very hard some days, especially when you have anxiety attacks. I took it a day at a time and focused on my mental health first before I tackled on the weight loss portion of my health. After going to lots of therapy, I finally got to a great place. I do not take any medication but one thing that helps me is exercise. Even though I’m lazy or tired, I make an appointment that’s non negotiable in my calendar for exercise 6 days a week and I’m now down 17 pounds. Exercise is not only good for physical health but mental as well. Doing everything at once can be overwhelming so maybe do it incrementally.
  • FocusAchieveRepeat
    FocusAchieveRepeat Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The key to remember is that there is hope and PTSD can be resolved (including the anxiety, depression, recurring frustration, etc - which are merely symptoms of the trauma response). The key is to use a therapy which has evidence based results, a skilled practitioner who is trained in trauma work, and remain consistent. It will be resolved in time, and sooner than you might think. Nothing changes until we heal the core trauma.
    Many 'therapies' out there just do not reach the area of the brain where PTSD/traumas are stored. Over time this leads to increased frustration and loss hope for any real resolution. Medications can help bridge the gap during the interim period but they won't resolve the issue.
    I can speak from personal experience because I have overcome a PTSD, and all the symptoms you describe. I have even become a therapist who deals with such issues because I know the peace and freedom healing these conditions brings.

Feel free to friend or message me as I'm always glad to support anyone working through this difficult condition.
    There IS hope.
  • Reyhanaaa
    Reyhanaaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow. I just kinda stumbled upon this thread but it's amazing to see that I'm not alone in the battle between depression/anxiety and keeping up with the gym. Also very helpful reading through how other people face this challenge.

In my journey I'm trying to focus on that after-gym feeling so that I can get excited for the gym. Also rushing (and with music on) drowns out the negative thoughts in my head.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    PTDS, depression and anxiety suck the life out of you, making many days a journey of survival only. I am not medicated but find the best thing for me, besides therapy, is to make myself get up every morning and go for a walk, even if I don't want to. The days when I don't are so much harder to get through. I prefer walking over the gym because I am on my own, especially early in the morning, so this lessens my anxiety around dealing with others.

I am also trying to confront my thoughts, recollections and emotions when they arise rather than blocking them out. This is so they become less traumatic when they do arise but doing this is so hard because I so much want to forget the experiences that have changed my life. They are so painful to think about.
  • GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It might be good to see a therapist or psychiatrist if you have not already done so. And if you have, try with someone else. It can take a while to get on the right dose of the right medication, if it's needed. I am not on meds, though I have had severe anxiety episodes where I considered starting them (because of the hormonal changes of perimenopause). Instead, I tried a meditation app (my sister's suggestion, she's a psychologist), and that has helped me recognize and rein in racing, irrational thoughts.

And, I've got to add, it's so heartwarming to see how this community pulls together to help each other out. Best wishes to all of you!
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The key to remember is that there is hope and PTSD can be resolved (including the anxiety, depression, recurring frustration, etc - which are merely symptoms of the trauma response). The key is to use a therapy which has evidence based results, a skilled practitioner who is trained in trauma work, and remain consistent. It will be resolved in time, and sooner than you might think. Nothing changes until we heal the core trauma.
    Many 'therapies' out there just do not reach the area of the brain where PTSD/traumas are stored. Over time this leads to increased frustration and loss hope for any real resolution. Medications can help bridge the gap during the interim period but they won't resolve the issue.
    I can speak from personal experience because I have overcome a PTSD, and all the symptoms you describe. I have even become a therapist who deals with such issues because I know the peace and freedom healing these conditions brings.

Feel free to friend or message me as I'm always glad to support anyone working through this difficult condition.
    There IS hope.

Yes, I feel this. I came out recently about an abuser of mine. (Years of sexual abuse since early childhood.) I was able to do therapy for about two months but, after an attempt on my life. I think I did two more secession and I realized it just wasn't working. She's a great lady and I love her personality but, I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. You know? I felt like I went in there to talk about my week and leave not feeling like I got anywhere. I will start trying again in the next week. I think its been three months since I went. I know how to cope with my Panic Attacks or triggers. I just haven't figured out how to get out of my funks. It's okay to lay back for one day but, this went on for almost two weeks! My To-Do List was getting longer and longer.

I felt a little difference with medication but, not good. It completely numbed my emotions. I want to block deep depression. Not sadness, not my happiness, not my anger, etc. I'm human, I'm gonna have emotions. So, I'm trying to find copying. Which, I've heard some great ones. Yoga, working out, walking, hobbies, etc. Which, is one thing my therapist did great at. She made a list of things to do when I get in my "funk." Walking, art, singing, makeup, etc.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    PTDS, depression and anxiety suck the life out of you, making many days a journey of survival only. I am not medicated but find the best thing for me, besides therapy, is to make myself get up every morning and go for a walk, even if I don't want to. The days when I don't are so much harder to get through. I prefer walking over the gym because I am on my own, especially early in the morning, so this lessens my anxiety around dealing with others.

I am also trying to confront my thoughts, recollections and emotions when they arise rather than blocking them out. This is so they become less traumatic when they do arise but doing this is so hard because I so much want to forget the experiences that have changed my life. They are so painful to think about.

After I posted this, I had a couple days moving into our new home. I found myself getting up early! I'm talking, on purpose. I started taking care of our animals. (We have a window in our shower! It's been the best thing in the world.) For someone who loves fresh air. It has helped me out. I know it's only been two days but, I have a feeling I just found a way to boost my mornings, while having amazing hygiene. Lol :smile: That's been definitely brightening up my days. Ones we settle in, we are gonna start going to they gym again. (We took a quick break with the moving.)

I don't know your situation but, with mine. Since, I was abused. I'm able to get therapy for free. There is help out there! To be honest, more then I thought there would be. You can do one appointment a week or once every two weeks. Need more days then that. Just ask. I think my sister does two a week, when she can. I was doing once every two weeks. <3
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    It might be good to see a therapist or psychiatrist if you have not already done so. And if you have, try with someone else. It can take a while to get on the right dose of the right medication, if it's needed. I am not on meds, though I have had severe anxiety episodes where I considered starting them (because of the hormonal changes of perimenopause). Instead, I tried a meditation app (my sister's suggestion, she's a psychologist), and that has helped me recognize and rein in racing, irrational thoughts.

And, I've got to add, it's so heartwarming to see how this community pulls together to help each other out. Best wishes to all of you!

With my anxiety, I have coping mechanizes. I have medicine for just in case. However, I only used those twice. The first time was a huge mistake! I took them right before driving to work. (I was just coming back to work after my attempt back in October. I was super nervous of the judgments I was gonna get from coworkers.) Anyways. I was leaning against anything and everything to go to sleep. :D Lets just say, I didn't make that mistake twice.

Yes, I was nervous to post this. I was worried I was gonna get a lot of backlash. "That isn't depression, that's laziness." I don't know. That's just me being paranoid. I think the worst case scenarios in my head. Not the good. Thank you everyone, for your feedback. <3
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I was going through bad depression (loss of son) for about 15 years and pills, lots of pills were pushed to me and my body weight ballooned to 170 kg - 375 pounds. I wanted to feel better but didn't know how - sometimes even getting out of bed, facing a new day was virtually impossible. One day a psychologist talked to me about "healing from the inside" - making and getting peace. I think I was one of the lucky ones, I got off very heavy medication over 8 or 9 months and I started to feel better. Next step was / is weight loss: started with MFP over 300 days ago and weight is coming off slowly. I can walk again - next thing I will buy a bicycle. The tremendous support from so many MFP members is amazing and I realize daily that I am not the only one who carries a huge "bag" with me. I prepare my daily meal plan the day before and set myself very simple targets to achieve. I take it day by day, meal by meal and with family support I face a new day the best way I can.
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    I was going through bad depression (loss of son) for about 15 years and pills, lots of pills were pushed to me and my body weight ballooned to 170 kg - 375 pounds. I wanted to feel better but didn't know how - sometimes even getting out of bed, facing a new day was virtually impossible. One day a psychologist talked to me about "healing from the inside" - making and getting peace. I think I was one of the lucky ones, I got off very heavy medication over 8 or 9 months and I started to feel better. Next step was / is weight loss: started with MFP over 300 days ago and weight is coming off slowly. I can walk again - next thing I will buy a bicycle. The tremendous support from so many MFP members is amazing and I realize daily that I am not the only one who carries a huge "bag" with me. I prepare my daily meal plan the day before and set myself very simple targets to achieve. I take it day by day, meal by meal and with family support I face a new day the best way I can.

I love this, thank you for sharing your story! You sound like a very strong and motivated person! I couldn't imagine your pain of losing him but, I know personally for being a daughter. I wouldn't want my Mom to suffer over my passing. I would want her to be happy until she passed and got to be with me, again. <3