Newbee - type 1 diabetic struggling

Options
Hello all!!

I'm new here. Anyone here a type 1 diabetic? I have been struggling with15 lbs for the past 7 years. Now its escalated to 25. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if anything that I'm doing is right.

Replies

• Carlene958
    Options
    Hi,
    I am also a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed 25 years ago.
    I gained quite a bit of weight when I was put on an insulin pump.
    For a long time I did not realize that if my basal insulin along with meal
    Insulin we not correct I would gain weight. I finally talked to
    My diabetes team about the problem and we worked on adjusting
    my doses. I found that if I gave a dose that was not correctly
    matched to what I ate I would have episodes where I would have lows and then
    needed more food. Sometimes I would over eat during a low and then
    need more insulin to treat the high. This cycle caused me to gain weight
    over the years that now I'm trying to take off. You may want to
    talk with your team and see if an adjustment may be needed.

I hope this helps you. If you would like to be friends with me just
    Add me as your friend. :wink:
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Welcome. My husband is a type 1 (but very thin). I probably don't have anything to add but I sure understand (as a loving observer) the many struggles of type 1 (and how it is nothing like type 2). MFP is a wonderful place and the tools are just awesome. Check out the recipe feature. My husband loves that I can enter a recipe and tell him the carb and fiber info. I love it for the nutrician and calorie info. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • derbylea
    derbylea Posts: 22
    Options
    I have type one. I have put on over 45 pounds since being diagnosed (in my early 20's). Its been a struggle trying to get it off. I use a pump and like another poster is saying you have to adjust your basal rate and your insulin at meals because too much insulin just makes the fat hold on more and also leads to those low blood sugar binges. It certainly adds another unfortunate twist to weightloss.
  • KarahClifford
    Options
    Yes! It can be a real challenge but it is totally doable! The hard part is that there is more to think about! If you are on a pump there are things you can do with your basil rates to prevent lows while working out, and lows for when you are finished! If you have any specific questions feel free to add me and ask!
  • pivacarta33
    Options
    Hi- New to site. Type 1, pump wearing diabetic wondering what I should eat before working out so I don't have a hypoglycemic episode during workout times. Any help would be great.:smile: