Pilates

Options
So i have been exercising a lot, a mixture of Pump and Cardio and feeling stronger and slimmer but I have noticed that my core muscles are non existant! Nearly all my classes have an abs track and I just collapse usually.

Would Pilates be a good thing to add to my workouts? Or do you think that core strength will be easier when I'm lighter?

My gym offers reformer or mat? Anyone been?

Replies

• leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a class but I do pilates videos with a mat. I think it is great. My core is so much stronger now than when I started in late June. I think pilates has been my favorite type of exercise so far. I hope I can go to a class sometime.
  • jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend any pilates you can get. I love love love it for increasing my core strength. It encouraged me to loose weight too so the muscle shows. Even though I don't do pilates regularly now, I believe I am still benefiting from the strength I gained when I was.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my Pilates video at home. The one I do is faster paced and switches between pilates and aerobics, which I really enjoy. Week three of 5 times a week and already noticing a stronger core. Woot! And it's fun!
  • kypin00
    kypin00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My fiance talked me into going to pilates and I thought it would be a joke. Depending on your instructor, it's no joke, and not funny at all. I have left fairly angry on several occasions cause there's an 80 year old woman teaching the class and she's not breaking a sweat yet I'm sweating (and swearing) up a storm trying to keep up. Pilates is a great work out, even for men and I'm fairly fit. I would also recommend Yoga as there is core work and stretching in the same class but not always as tough as pilates because you're not doing hard work the entire class (see the stretching part). Before anyone laughs, MMA fighters do Yoga and Pilates to help with core muscles and flexibility...go figure :)
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I love pilates and not only did it make my core look better it did amazing things for my back. Since I am tall and spend my younger years slumping to avoid being noticed I always have back pain. Pilates really minimized that.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do reformer 3x week at my gym. I LOVE it- give it a try! There are so many benefits besides core strength...your flexibility will be off the charts (really important if you run or weight train).
  • ksandy1224
    ksandy1224 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do Mat Pilates for 50 minutes on Monday and then on Friday I take a long lunch and do 60 minutes in a Group Pilates Reformer Class. I recommend both, but highly recommend the Reformer. It can be costly, my gym charges $20 per session on top of your gym membership, but the difference has been amazing in 2 months time. I don't mind paying the $20 since that's generally what you're going to pay anywhere else and my gym offers so many other classes for free, around 60 per month. I try to stick to my schedule at the gym, Monday is the Mat Pilates, on Tuesday I have an hour of Yoga and then 45 minutes of Step Aerobics. My Wednesday class is in a league of it's own, it's called Core and More and lasts for 45 minutes. Our instructor goes around our auxiliary court and sets up different stations with different exercises and we rotate through them. Depending on how many people attend is how she decides how many turns we'll take at each station and the duration, usually 30 to 40 seconds on with 10 seconds break in between 4 or 5 repetitions. She has us doing the craziest things, like standing on a step holding 25 lbs. worth of chains while balancing on 1 leg, and she'll come up and rattle those chains if you're keeping your balance too well. :) Then on Thursday I have another hour of Yoga and then half an hour of BOSU (BOth Sides Utilized). The BOSU class works both strengthening and cardio, very effective as well. And then Friday is the Reformer and I take the weekends off. I would suggest that if you live in or near a large city that you research the gyms and see who provides the best variety of classes. My husband says I'm a gym rat, maybe so, but he's okay with it given the results! LOL!! I hope this helps! One more thing... that is absolutely right in the post about it being so beneficial for your back as well. That's part of your core! I'm even a better golfer! Yep, that's why I take off the weekends, so I can golf! Good luck!!!!
  • ksandy1224
    ksandy1224 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One more thing... don't get discouraged! I remember the first Pilates DVD I did at home was a 20 minute Denise Austin workout. I spent most of my time lying on the mat saying "yeah right, I don't think so" but it just gets easier and easier as your core strengthens. Nothing is easy at the beginning and nobody is going to ridicule you for not keeping up. If they do and get by with it, then you need to find a new gym.
  • I try and get to a pilates class twice a week, and mix it in with spinning and body comabt, with a bit of pump in there if I have time.
    Pilates has really strengthened my core and aids me now in my other classes by having a strong upper body and good posture.

Try and get to a class so you can learn the basics while an instructor can watch you and make sure you are in the right positions, so many people can get it just a little bit wrong and you could be doing yourself harm or not working what you should be.
    Then you could do videos t home once you know what you are doing.
    The breathing technique used is also a great relaxer, y9ou will feel less stressed after a class.
    Try it you will like it.
  • Mitchlou84
    Mitchlou84 Posts: 135
    Options
    Right! I'm going to try reformer tomorrow! Will report back!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Pilates is good for the core.