A little vent....

Options
Morning all,

Firstly, I apologise for the small vent I'm about to type out. I have no one physically here on my journey with me so no one to talk to.

I've been calorie counting for 8 years, joined here in 2011. I've been 205lb and down as low as 130lb. I'm currently 151lb. I'm 35 and 5'5".

I've been battling with my self confidence and body image for a long as I can remember. Recently I've been having thoughts of 'sod it's and been trying not to care so much what the scales say. I've not been calorie counting as I just feel like it's putting extra pressure on myself. I've been going to the gym three times a week and purely do strength training, no cardio as I can't stand it.

I know that if I lose 10lb, I still won't be happy with the way I look, I know that's a personal battle. I know I shouldn't care what the scales say, but I do. I know low calories isn't the answer, but I've been doing it for so long my metabolism is messed up.

Guess I'm just looking for someone to agree that it's not all about what's on the scales and that the strength training is the right thing to do?! I'm so lost at the moment.

Sorry for the rant but thank you for reading x

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a diet break. There's a long thread running on it and why it's useful if you've been dieting a long time. You definitely don't want to undo all your hard work. Also look into other methods of maintaining without counting--many threads on that subject. You just sound tired of it all, and I can understand if you've been doing this since 2011. I've been here since Feb 2013.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a diet break. There's a long thread running on it and why it's useful if you've been dieting a long time. You definitely don't want to undo all your hard work. Also look into other methods of maintaining without counting--many threads on that subject. You just sound tired of it all, and I can understand if you've been doing this since 2011. I've been here since Feb 2013.

Would second this, take a little time at maintenance. I have taken a couple and find a good way to keep an eye on my weight is to continue logging it in my trend weight app which gives an approximate calculation of my calorie intake variance to maintenance, so if I am a little over, I'd cut out a snack or watch my portion sizes, if I am a little under add one in.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn’t messed up. If you eat more, you gain weight, right? That’s a sign that your metabolism is working as designed.

Looking at the scale when I should have been pursuing fitness nearly killed me. Give yourself a break and train the way you want to. If you don’t like those results after a good long trial period, try something else. Its all just trial and error. Just a big experiment.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Well, there's this comparison. Same person, similar weight, dramatically different shape:

main-qimg-61aaf0d69192f1745d539491664e8760

Hmmmm, are you sure that's the same person? The focus is not great but it looks to me like they're missing a mole in the photo on the left compared to the one on the far right. Not that this negates your overall point, just saying...

For the OP, I'm up 5-6lbs from my all time low but my BF% is lower and my measurements are smaller. Do you take progress photos or do measurements? Have you had your BF% assessed? Do you notice a difference in the way your clothes fit?

It's definitely not only about what the scale says and weight training is a fantastic course of action, especially if it something that you enjoy. Don't lose heart..you can do this!!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Guess I'm just looking for someone to agree that it's not all about what's on the scales and that the strength training is the right thing to do?!

I had to have this realization myself. I got down to 159lbs at 6'1" (Male) right before our wedding in 2013 and still didn't love how I looked. Up at 170 a few years later I liked that even less but knew I had to try something different which led me to get into lifting in 2015. Like @quiksylver296 said, I'm way happier in my own skin now at ~175 than I was at 159 previously.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You guys and girls are fab, thank you so much for replying. I just don't like seeing my weight increase when I've spent years trying to get it down lol. Been to the gym tonight and feel better. I'm super wobbly all over and can't lose my belly 🙄