Water weight of fat loss?

Options
I started my journey on December 17th and have lost about 2 to 3 pounds per week, one week gaining 2 lbs back, then lost it again for a total of 14 lbs lost. Do you think it's just water weight or actual fat loss?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on December 17th and have lost about 2 to 3 pounds per week, one week gaining 2 lbs back, then lost it again for a total of 14 lbs lost. Do you think it's just water weight or actual fat loss?

It's a combination of both... it also highly depends on if you are severely restricting your carb intake. Water weight loss during the first couple of weeks of any diet where carbs are restricted is pretty typical. However, that usually tapers off. However, you will still see fluctuations that involve water weight and other factors that are not related to fat loss throughout your journey. It's why most people here recommend trending apps or just looking at the bigger picture and not day to day or even week to week fluctuations.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When there is any loss, water is always involved. What happens to the fat when it is burned? When you metabolize fat you end up with carbon dioxide, water and energy. The carbon dioxide we exhale and the water we give up in the usual ways. When we store food as glycogen, water is involved. This is why we can see a gain after a high carb meal. When we use energy stored as glycogen we expel the water. Combined with all the other variables not associated with stored energy use, such as hormones, sodium, inflammation, etc. no wonder our bodies store and release water in non linear ways. As suggested use a trending app or an excel spreadsheet graph. To get a clearer picture of fat loss.
  • briittanyxxoo
    briittanyxxoo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

It's a combination of both... it also highly depends on if you are severely restricting your carb intake. Water weight loss during the first couple of weeks of any diet where carbs are restricted is pretty typical. However, that usually tapers off. However, you will still see fluctuations that involve water weight and other factors that are not related to fat loss throughout your journey. It's why most people here recommend trending apps or just looking at the bigger picture and not day to day or even week to week fluctuations.

Not cutting my carbs. Just eating less than I used to and healthier choices
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Not cutting my carbs. Just eating less than I used to and healthier choices

Most people cut carbs. Not intentionally, but just through the healthier choices and eating less. So while it's not as big a factor if you were going low carb or keto, it will have an impact.