Can someone explain to me the Math behind a 2LB deficit.

Options
Years ago, when I started my very first bout of Calorie Counting there was an equation that I used to create a deficit of 7000 (2lbs) per week and I can't remember it for the life of me. It had something to do with your BMR?!! Anyways, I never go below 1200 but I exercise 6 days a week and 3-4 of those days I run anywhere for 8-10K. I just want to make sure my cals are were they should be at. Additionally, I always eat most of my exercise cals.
Looking forward to your input.

Replies

• portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    In "theory" 1lb = 3500 calories. so 2lbs would be 7000 calories. you didnt state time, do you mean a 2lb loss per week, month, year etc? I'll assume week.

so 7000 / 7 = 1000. This is how many calories you need to reduce by diet and exercise, if you reduce your calories(diet) by 500, and burn off 500 you would reach a total deficit of 1000 calories per day which will be 7000 calories a week which is 2lbs.

Or I guess you can make a formula

(poundstoLose * 3500) / (AmountOfDaysYouWantToLoseItIn) = daily caloric deficit
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you click on the "Goals" option in the My Home Menu, there is a summary page that will break it all down for you.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    For men BMR = weight (in kg) x 24; for women it's weight (in kg) x 23. Kg conversion is weight in lbs/2.2.

I weigh 237, so my BMR is 237/2.2 = 107.7 x 23 = 2,478 kcal/day. Put in my deficit of 1,000 calories per day (if I want to lose 2 lbs/week) and my daily caloric intake should be 1,478 - that's without any exercise. 1 lb = 3,500 calories, so 2 would be your 7,000.
  • mellissabee
    mellissabee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You guys are great, thanx so much!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    and no scientific study has ever been able to produce exact results of 3500cal deficit to 1lb of weight loss so don't get "too" fussed on the exact numbers :smile:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    and no scientific study has ever been able to produce exact results of 3500cal deficit to 1lb of weight loss so don't get "too" fussed on the exact numbers :smile:

Good point - all that math is just a general guideline. :smile:
  • mellissabee
    mellissabee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yup. Thanks everyone. I just needed to make sure I was eating enough and not going under cals.