DB hip thrusts, strain on quads?

Options
So I've recently started to "attempt" to incorporate hip thrusts, since my glutes definitely need some isolated attention. I am having an issue where the strain on my quads bracing my upper body against the bench is more tiresome than the strain on my glutes performing the thrust motion. So my thighs are failing before I'm able to get my glutes to fatigue. I know no one is watching me do it and can't say for sure, but does anyone have an idea of what I could be doing wrong? I've tried bringing my feet in closer to my upper body to decrease my knee angle, since that is suppose to increase glute effort, but I still feel the strain on my thighs. It's like the strain when you sit in an invisible chair with your back pressed up against a wall with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle.

I also use a DB since I find the BB too combersome to get into proper position (I have a small home gym so not the best set up for BB hip thrusts), and I hold the weight on my pelvis/upper hip area, since the weight is a bit much to hold over my stomach. But could that weight placement be an issue?

Is it expected to feel strain in your quads during hip thrusts? I just expected there not to be since they are touted as a true glute isolation exercise. I will say I always do hip thrusts at the end of my leg routine, after squats and DLs, so could it be that they are just gassed at this point or could it be an error in form?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How tall of a bench are you using? I would try lowering the bench to a more comfortable height so you aren't straining. How do you feel doing glute bridges (on the floor?)

You can also try to incorporate a mini band above your knees to help stimulate the glutes.
    Some people find DB to be not as glute focused as BB. I also have a home gym and bought a mini barbell (4') for quicker setup if needed.

Also try doing hip thrusts first, it could definitely be you are fatigued by the end of your session.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I find less quad activation with glute bridges over hip thrusts. But it's probably a mind/muscle connection issue.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your quads are compensating for weak glutes. Try to focus on pushing off your heels as opposed to thinking of pushing with your whole foot. (Really only really use this cue for hip thrusts) Lower the weight being used and really focus on pushing your hips upwards towards the ceiling. Hold at the top for a few seconds and repeat. Also, you want to have your shins fairly vertical at the top of the motion.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Feet close to each other or are you using a wider (sumo) stance? You could be too narrow if you're getting too much quad activity

Feet further away, less bend (not bent in towards torso) usually has less quad emphasis
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much!! Will definitely try all your suggestions to see if that helps. I do keep my feet about shoulder width apart so I will try a wider stance as well.
  • LishyR
    LishyR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras has awesome vid on YouTube how to try different variations of HT! Good luck!
  • PhreshJive
    PhreshJive Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your quads and hip flexors.