Knee pain while jogging

Options
I was getting started on my 2 mile run on the treadmill this morning and I got a sudden pain in my knee. I stopped and stretched and walked for a bit and tried a slow jog. It was fine for about 30 seconds before it hurt again. I ran 4 miles yesterday with no issue whatsoever. I don’t feel any pain walking or stretching. I can’t find the spot that hurts unless I run.

My question is, how many days of rest would be best to avoid injury here? I’ve been getting myself ready to start a 12-week half marathon training program next week!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many miles how often have you been running up till now?

is consecutive running days normal?

pain in the knee, or at the side or...? is it swollen or bruised?
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’ve been running about 12-14 miles a week. Usually not consecutive days. Today I was just going to do a light 2 mile jog before doing a bit of resistance training. I decided to do consec days once this week since my training program will have 3 consecutive days on Tues, Wed, Thurs. (short distances).

The pain is I think slightly on the outer side of my left knee. No bruising or swelling. Nothing visible
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I’ve been running about 12-14 miles a week. Usually not consecutive days. Today I was just going to do a light 2 mile jog before doing a bit of resistance training. I decided to do consec days once this week since my training program has 3 consecutive days on Tues, Wed, Thurs. (short distances).

it could just be too much too soon then.

i would very much recommend not going to 3 consecutive days though if you don't do any currently. you need to build up slowly. start with 2 days for a few weeks and then add a third. you don't want to be adding consecutive days at the same time as increasing mileage. its a recipe for disaster.

rest a couple of says and then see how your knee feels doing a couple of miles.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running about 12-14 miles a week. Usually not consecutive days. Today I was just going to do a light 2 mile jog before doing a bit of resistance training. I decided to do consec days once this week since my training program has 3 consecutive days on Tues, Wed, Thurs. (short distances).

it could just be too much too soon then.

i would very much recommend not going to 3 consecutive days though if you don't do any currently. you need to build up slowly. start with 2 days for a few weeks and then add a third. you don't want to be adding consecutive days at the same time as increasing mileage. its a recipe for disaster.

rest a couple of says and then see how your knee feels doing a couple of miles.

I agree on the consecutive days thing... I found about a month into HM training that 3 days in a row was just too much for me and had to swap a couple of days around so I still ran 4 times per week but only twice in a row.
    Re the knee, stretch as much as you possibly can and if after a few days of rest it still hurts have it looked at. My knee issues post race turned out to be extremely contractured muscles and took about 4 heavy duty physio sessions to sort out.
    Also, are you running in decent running shoes and if so are they very old or used?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a possibility. I find that if my running shoes or daily shoes are older, they give less support and I start getting random pain. Now is a good time to get new shoes, before starting to increase your mileage.

Ice your knee, rest, massage the muscles around your knee. When you're feeling better, work on strengthening the muscles around your knee with knee lifts, etc. Use a roller on the muscles of your leg, stretch your hips, massage. Avoid squats for a while. They make you stronger, but also put a lot of stress on the knees.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My question is, how many days of rest would be best to avoid injury here?

That's a great question to ask your doctor. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'd ask a physio ahead of my doctor
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Probably too much too soon.

And shoes are super important too. If you haven’t gone to a running store to be properly fitted for shoes I highly suggest it as it can make a huge difference.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    When your knee is better and you are able to start running again, it’s typically not a great idea to try to increase mileage and number of running days at the same time.

You’d want to keep the mileage the same, but split it between one additional day. Then keep that schedule for a few weeks. Then increase the mileage at that number of days.

Then repeat for the next added day.

I understand this will crimp your 12 week schedule pretty considerably.

It sounds like you may have found a plan that has 5 days a week of running? I know some of Hal Higdon’s million assorted plans are 5 days. Some are fewer and include cross training. There are other plans with 3-4 running days a week.

When you are able to start running again, if you’re not willing to add the day(s) slowly-try to find a plan that starts where you are now (in terms of miles/week and number of days). Adding mileage adds stress and if you’re starting from a low weekly base-it’s a lot of stress rather quickly (which can lead to injury).
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching your legs several times per day. One tight muscle in your leg can pull your knee out of line and cause pain. Google leg stretches for runners and enjoy the stretch. Also try running specific exercises to strengthen your legs. You could have weak glutes which is causing other muscles to overwork. Running on streets that slope to one side can cause knee pain. Try and run so that each leg gets equal time on the downhill side or avoid these roads if possible. Massage your leg muscles also. I use a stick which is fiberglass with ceramic beads. It can't pinpoint and workout tight spots. You can find these at most running stores. Foam rollers are good also. Good luck to you.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Running several days in a row is ok if done right. I'm training for a 5k and it has me running Saturday, Sunday and Monday, Saturday is 5 miles fast. Sunday is 60-70 minutes of very slow running, I can carry on a conversation. Monday is the same as Sunday except its just 3 miles. No Interval days next to tempo or other fast days. My training plan has me resting on Wednesday and Friday.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Running several days in a row is ok if done right. I'm training for a 5k and it has me running Saturday, Sunday and Monday, Saturday is 5 miles fast. Sunday is 60-70 minutes of very slow running, I can carry on a conversation. Monday is the same as Sunday except its just 3 miles. No Interval days next to tempo or other fast days. My training plan has me resting on Wednesday and Friday.

But I imagine you didn't go from a rest day every other day, to that schedule?
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. Here’s a bit more info:

I have good shoes. I had them fitted at a good running store (where they watch you run, etc) right before I started training.

I’ve been back to running for six weeks. I have a method I usually use when I get back to running after a long break, where I start just walking about 15 miles a week and slowly replace miles walked with miles run. I’ve been running 12-15 miles the past couple of weeks. I have sometimes done consecutive days (but usually only one mile on what would otherwise be the “off” day). Next week I’d planned to start the Higdon novice program which would include 3 consecutive days of 3 miles each, but would not be an increase of mileage for me.

I think I probably didn’t properly warm up before my treadmill run today. Dumb mistake.

I will take off tomorrow and Sunday and try a slow jog Monday but I won’t push it. Monday and fridays are supposed to be my rest days, but I can just swap Monday for Tuesday so I only have 2 consecutive days (assuming the knee is back to normal).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

OP has been running 12-14 miles/week on non-consecutive days for 2 weeks.

I run 5 days a week too. But there are about 27495950066 intermediary steps from 12-14 miles/week on non-consecutive days for 2 weeks and landing safely at 5 days a week of a good chunk of mileage with a number of quality workouts.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I would see a physical therapist (physio) over a GP as well, but I don't know of any physical therapists in my city that don't require a referral first. It is, in part, an insurance issue.

In reality, I would see my orthopedic surgeon first, but I also have the lovely misfortune of having an ortho. As good of a doctor as she is, I'd prefer not being in the position of needing to have seen her as many times as I have.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I would see a physical therapist (physio) over a GP as well, but I don't know of any physical therapists in my city that don't require a referral first. It is, in part, an insurance issue.

In reality, I would see my orthopedic surgeon first, but I also have the lovely misfortune of having an ortho. As good of a doctor as she is, I'd prefer not being in the position of needing to have seen her as many times as I have.
    aokoye wrote: »

Yep definitely all of the above!