Vitamin nutrition information

Options
New here. Is there a way to see the total nutitional intake for the day of the vitamins and minerals that I eat. I know that I am deficient in certain areas and it would be nice to see.

Thanks,
David

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    There's a limited amount that you can track here but if you want a more detailed list then cronometer is by far superior in that aspect. Their data base is more limited and focuses on whole foods, but it gives you a very thorough breakdown of micro-nutrients. Most people don't want/need such a detailed breakdown so MFP works fine. But, if you're focusing on specific nutrients/micros then cronometer is going to probably be a better bet.
  • eschmand1
    eschmand1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response!
  • sarahbirsette
    sarahbirsette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think there should be B vitamins, Vitamin K, Iron and other essential vitamins and minerals. I understand the macro breakdown and calorie count is great, however it feels this application is incomplete. A full nutrition profile is needed and seems to have been avoided per old MFP generic responses. I’m not stating a multivitamin section needs to be added, just a full nutrition profile of each food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I agree, I think there should be B vitamins, Vitamin K, Iron and other essential vitamins and minerals. I understand the macro breakdown and calorie count is great, however it feels this application is incomplete. A full nutrition profile is needed and seems to have been avoided per old MFP generic responses. I’m not stating a multivitamin section needs to be added, just a full nutrition profile of each food.

Foods that MFP pulled from the USDA database do have a full nutrition profile. Unfortunately, much of the foods in the MFP database were user-inputted and users may not bother to put in values they don't care about.

Once you've been doing this a while, it's easy to spot entries that came from the USDA database. For one, meat entries can read like this, "Beef, Plate, Inside Skirt Steak, Separable Lean Only, Trimmed to 0" Fat, All Grades, Cooked, Grilled".

You can see all the nutrition values for that on https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/23162

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to do a bit of extra work, I've found a not-too-difficult cheat that will work.
    at the website nutritiondata.self.com you can get a free account, and enter in your own recipes. Doing that has 2 parts - typing out the recipe, and then choosing from their list of foods for the recipe (so that they have the details). They will chart ALL the nutrients for that recipe.

What I have done is basically taken a day's worth of food and made it a 'recipe' and chosen every food I ate, or close to it, and then I get a day's worth of nutrients that day. Or I've done some typical 'day's' meals so I can estimate a bit.

It's not as easy as MFP, and not really useful to do every single day - it'd be exhausting. But it can be nice for a quick check to see how you are doing, you know?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

And where exactly would MFP get a full nutrition profile of, say, a Costa bacon and cheese toasty?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Best advice there is to ensure you fill the gaps by taking a high quality multi vitamin daily and increasing your consumption of a variety of fruits and vegetables. The more color you have in these food items, the better they are for you. Dark green vegetables like broccoli and Brussel spouts and bright colored items like sweet bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, yellow squash etc. and of course fruits like Pomegranate, bananas, oranges, pink or red grapefruit, watermelon, and all types of berries.
  • CharlizeGraves
    CharlizeGraves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I’ve been taking whole food nutrition capsules and shakes and have never been sick for 2 years now. Highly recommend it!