How do you workout at the gym?

Options
I usually do 30 min cardio and then weight training for 20 minutes, and then a cool down/get my heart rate up a lil again for 5-10 min..

Should I be doing weight training everyday?

I feel like I'm gaining too much muscle (Yes believe it or not, in my genetics, when we weight train, we get ripped), and thats not my goal. I want to get toned, but not jacked haha, and lose a boat load of weight.

My legs haven't lost an inch, but I have bulging muscles haha. Im not complaining but I want smaller body parts! Not bigger!

Should I do 1 day cardio (45min-60min), next day 20min cardio and then upper body/chest, next day cardio 45-60 min, next day legs, and so on.. I try to do some abs every day.

Does that work????

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    how do i work out? I lift things up and put them down....

you have to weight train! very important.. especially doing supersets, trisets, giant sets raise ur metabolism for next 48hrs
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    I should add.. I'm losing weight, but not getting toned, just ripped haha. Will more cardio cause my body to lose more fat, and maybe not do so much weight training? I feel like I need to do 30 min cardio, and then weight training of whole body right now..

Also, to tone.. do I do more reps/less weight? Or more weight/less reps?

I feel like if I don't do heavy weights I'm not working my muscles..
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Less weight and more reps.
  • jillybean18353
    Options
    Can't really say for certain, but I think I read somewhere that if you want to be toned and not muscle-y you should still do weight training, but don't put too much weight on it. Instead of going as high as you can, go to a comfortable weight level. Like I said, not a professional so don't take my word on it.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The trainer I used a couple of times said 30 mins cardio minimum on days you do weights and 45 minimum on days you don't do weights. By increasing your muscle will help you burn fat and calories.
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    I should add.. I'm losing weight, but not getting toned, just ripped haha. Will more cardio cause my body to lose more fat, and maybe not do so much weight training? I feel like I need to do 30 min cardio, and then weight training of whole body right now..

Also, to tone.. do I do more reps/less weight? Or more weight/less reps?

I feel like if I don't do heavy weights I'm not working my muscles..

do your workout first.. then cardio.. dont do ur whole body everyday if thats what ur saying... u have to have a workout plan.. i hit each muscle twice a week once heavy and once high intensity

now people say "toning" should be high reps... u wont build as much muscle on high reps.. so unless u have ALOT of muscle already... there isnt a point of doing toning because u dont have enough muscle to tone... number one should be build a good foundation of muscle..
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I do muscle 3 days a week and cardio 3 to 4 days a week. less weight more reps so you should be doing about 60% of your max weight for 10 reps and 3 to 5 sets. The thing is you can't work out one part of your body and without the weight loss thing that that body part is going to get smaller. No amount of sit ups will give you a smaller stomach because you can't pick where you lose the weight from. So your legs might look bigger to you now, but as you lose the fat that is still on your legs you will see the difference.
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    I like to mix up my cardio..

On days I do a lot of cardio.. can I do say 30 min on the treadmill and 30 min on the bike? Or 20 min on bike, 20 on treadmill and 20 on ellipitcal?

I get bored with one machine. haha
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    yeah thats fine... u can mix up.. bike doesnt burn as many cals though!
  • Manoca94
    Options
    Hey :smile: What I usually do is cardio 50min/6 days a week (running) then like two to three days a week I do strength training for about 15 to thirty minutes. If you want to get toned, don't go to the extreme of lifting heavy weights, just lift enough that is easy, yet you can still feel the burn a little. I hope this helps! :laugh:
  • EuroDriver
    Options
    Hey :smile: What I usually is I do cardio 50min 6 days a week (running) then like two to three days a week I do strength training for about 15 to thirty minutes. If you want to get toned, don't go to the extreme of lifting heavy weights, just lift enough that is easy, yet you can still feel the burn a little. I hope this helps! :laugh:

hate to say it but ur wrong.... you have to lift heavy if you want any noticeable difference in ur muscles....... worried that you might look butch or like a man if you lift heavy?? well thats all BS and wont happen.. your body DOES NOT PRODUCE ENOUGH TESTOSTRONE to get big or butch like a man.. alot of girls that are bodybuilders and are huge its because they have done roids.... u can easly tell who has done em and not(on girls) so lift heavy and try to build a foundation of muscle, then tone so you have alot of lines down the muscle and good seperation... if u dont have a good foundation of muscle and ur trying to tone... ull look the same and wont notice a diffrance and ull quit doing it after couple months
  • jamiekwright
    Options
    This guy has a website - if you read through you will find he makes an awesome argument for varying up your workout routine every couple of weeks and really doing intense interval training. I started doing an athletic training class a while back - also called boot camp, and we follow this same philosophy. I've seen tremendous results - at the bottom of the website you can purchase the book with all of his routines, but you don't have to - all the info on the page is really useful... Also, he has a section about women and how they basically aren't able (naturally) to get 'bulky' like guys do - even if you're doing heavy weight, so it is ok for women who want to get toned to go all out and really max out on functional weight trainingexercises like dead lifts and such...
    www.maxworkouts.com