Gaining on 1400 cal

I have posted before about my weight loss and activity levels and was told by numerous people I should up my calories. I have lost 5 kg in just over 3 weeks on 1200 calories. I decided to up
My calories for a week by 200 and see what happened. Iv been gaining about .2 of a kg a day! I’m still very active and nothing’s changed In my life other than eating the extra 200 calories. I keep within my sugar and carb range and eat fairly well so I’m not sure why I would be gaining on 1400 calories.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have posted before about my weight loss and activity levels and was told by numerous people I should up my calories. I have lost 5 kg in just over 3 weeks on 1200 calories. I decided to up
    My calories for a week by 200 and see what happened. Iv been gaining about .2 of a kg a day! I’m still very active and nothing’s changed In my life other than eating the extra 200 calories. I keep within my sugar and carb range and eat fairly well so I’m not sure why I would be gaining on 1400 calories.

So how much have you actually gained in what timeframe?
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Today is day 7 and iv actually only gained a kg all up. But I would have assumed 1400 calories is enough to still be loosing at a steady rate. I log everything correctly and weight it all. I’m doing 10k steps a day and have a very physical farm/horse job. I’m 168cm, 86kg.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    edited February 2019
    I do have pms symptoms for about 2 weeks prior to pms so am dealing with that. I suppose that could affect it also?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I do have pms symptoms for about 2 weeks prior to pms so am dealing with that. I suppose that could affect it also?

Yep, you just answered your own question :) I've had fluctuations of up to 5lbs overnight, due to PMS. It's temporary and will calm down in a few days.

Do you use a trending app for your weigh-ins? It's a very useful tool that helps you see your trends over time, and gives you a better picture of where you're actually at.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2019
    If you lost 5kg in 3 weeks on 1200, mathematically it would be impossible to gain actual fat on 200 calories more.

Yeah...you retain hella water. Beyond that, bodyweight fluctuates naturally and you're not going to see linear weight loss...it's going to be up and down with some weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains. The long term trend is what you need to watch, not the individual weigh ins.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll give it a few more weeks. It’s not very cool seeing the scale go up .2 one day, .1 the next and .3 another day etc and kind of had me panicked. It just seemed like a steady increase.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member

I’m up 4lbs in 48hr...just checked my cycle tracker and period is due anytime. That could definitely be affecting your weigh ins
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll give it a few more weeks. It’s not very cool seeing the scale go up .2 one day, .1 the next and .3 another day etc and kind of had me panicked. It just seemed like a steady increase.

This was happening to me. I was in the 137’s for a week and most of that was going up the whole week. Then I went from 137.4 to 136.0 and then 135.6 the next day! I’m not sure I buy into the “whoosh” theory as I’ve seen conflicting research on that but looking at my data I HAVE noticed having a pattern of stalls and then BOOM!

Notice my trends circled.

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    How long have you been on 1200 calories? My understanding is woman flux in weight with pms but it so becomes right.