High Protein Low Fat Foods

Options
I’m finding that on days where I think I’ve eaten really well and have tracked my calories, I still eat too much fat and not enough protein. Today it came out to be 48% fat! Any advice?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Lean meats (white chicken, turkey, pork loin, shrimp, most fish), low-fat or non-fat dairy, egg whites, protein powder ...
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    What protein sources are you using?
    Legumes are very low fat and have some protein. Black beans 15 grams of protein per 240 calories, lentils 18 grams per 230 calories. Protein powder.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Chicken, shrimp, beef jerky, protein shakes or powder.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    The thread below may be helpful: It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories (so less fat/carbs, relatively). Find foods you like on the spreadsheet, and eat more of those, less of something else that doesn't support your goals as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese has a great protein bang for the calorie buck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    what is your current diet like? if you eat boxed and processed foods fat can add up fast.

I have probably less than 5% ultra processed food and have no problem exceeding 30% fat ;)
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The fat free Greek yogurt I eat is 19g protein per 100g and good value. It's great with raspberries and blueberries. I only track saturated fat. I eat good fats like salmon, avocado, olive & rapeseed oil.
  • leenas_diaries
    leenas_diaries Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I usually have smoothies made with whey protein, almond milk and handful of frozen strawberries. Or sometimes a cup of greek yogurt with some blueberries and almonds. For lunch, usually it is grilled chicken with a side of veggies or an apple. Or a big bowl of salad with grilled chicken, and 1/4 cup of rice, corn, beans with a bit of sour cream on the side. For dinner, usually some sort of fish (mostly salmon) with a side of veggies. Hope this helps! ☺️
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to focus on meeting your protein goal first as you plan meals. Take your goal weight and multiply by .8 to find protein grams (assuming you are eating at a deficit and want to maintain muscle). Figure out from that how much protein you should be getting with each of your meals and figure what will meet that. I meet mine with lean animal protein, low-fat greek yogurt, beans & lentils, and the occasional premier protein drink as a supplement for the most part - whatever grain I might be having fills in the rest.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    The fat free Greek yogurt I eat is 19g protein per 100g and good value. It's great with raspberries and blueberries. I only track saturated fat. I eat good fats like salmon, avocado, olive & rapeseed oil.

Personally, I prefer consensualsexseed oil. But it's all just preference.

I'm not sure if you thought they made a typo on grapeseed oil or were just making a horrible joke, but rapeseed oil is an oil.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    suziecue25 wrote: »

Personally, I prefer consensualsexseed oil. But it's all just preference.

I'm not sure if you thought they made a typo on grapeseed oil or were just making a horrible joke, but rapeseed oil is an oil.

It was definitely a joke. I have a high level of sarcasm and can be facetious at times. Now whether it was good or bad, is entirely subjective.

Eh, I laughed. It's really an unfortunate name for an oil...or anything.