MCT Oil

Options
Does anyone else use MCT oil in their diet?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    for...?

I use coconut oil for cooking. It has no magical properties, it's expensive and has a fairly low smoke point but I like the flavor.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are asking if I drink oil the answer is "Blech! and no." I use oil in cooking, sauces, and salad dressings like one would expect but not whatever MCT is.

If it helps you to stay in a calorie deficit that is great. It will not, by itself, help you lose weight.
  • MortishaLee
    MortishaLee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That’s how I learned about it as well.. I’m also new to the keto diet... I’m 268 lbs and needing to lose 116 lbs
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I find MCT oil if bought as MCT oil is too expensive. Coconut oil is pretty much all it is and cheaper.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That’s how I learned about it as well.. I’m also new to the keto diet... I’m 268 lbs and needing to lose 116 lbs

What are you hoping to get from using MCT oil or coconut oil? Personally adding hundreds of calories in a drink isn't beneficial IMO. But if you are keto and need some quicker energy, then consuming MCT about 30 mins prior to a workout may be beneficial.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    CowboySar wrote: »
    I find MCT oil if bought as MCT oil is too expensive. Coconut oil is pretty much all it is and cheaper.

Yes, I was intrigued by the idea of Bulletproof Coffee and bought some coconut oil for this. Maybe it didn't satiate me because I wasn't using the more expensive MCT oil plus grass fed butter ;) (I jest.)

I eventually swapped the coconut oil for dried coconut, and added protein powder and chia seeds, and find this very filling:

kl030nuqtqrn.png
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was using cocunut oil and butter in my coffee while fasting but couldnt stand the taste of coconut so i bought mct oil. Much much better with hardly any flavor