I tackled the elliptical!!!!

Some of you know me by now and know that I am on my 6th week of my journey. I joined a gym and came to this wonderful place. I have lost 18lbs so far and am very happy about my loss. I would do just about everything at the gym but mostly the treadmill and bike. I have an awesome friend that is my support and we push each other at the gym. We tried the elliptical and hated it, it hurt so bad that we only could do about 2 minutes! I was mad because I want to be able to do everything! But I kind of avoided the elliptical for a while (a few weeks:embarassed: )and finally I decided that I WILL do this! I got on and did 12 minutes!! I hurt like hell but I did it! That was Wednesday and the next 2 days I did 15 minutes each with the treadmill and the bike too!! I have come a long way from where I was!! I am so happy and proud of myself! I am also off the blood pressure medication!!:bigsmile: Thanks for being here and being so supportive!!

Jess

Replies

• jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Some of you know me by now and know that I am on my 6th week of my journey. I joined a gym and came to this wonderful place. I have lost 18lbs so far and am very happy about my loss. I would do just about everything at the gym but mostly the treadmill and bike. I have an awesome friend that is my support and we push each other at the gym. We tried the elliptical and hated it, it hurt so bad that we only could do about 2 minutes! I was mad because I want to be able to do everything! But I kind of avoided the elliptical for a while (a few weeks:embarassed: )and finally I decided that I WILL do this! I got on and did 12 minutes!! I hurt like hell but I did it! That was Wednesday and the next 2 days I did 15 minutes each with the treadmill and the bike too!! I have come a long way from where I was!! I am so happy and proud of myself! I am also off the blood pressure medication!!:bigsmile: Thanks for being here and being so supportive!!

Jess
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    THAT is AMAZING!!

I so remember my 1st experience with the ellip! Scared the heck out of me! My HR soared to max within a minute. It took me 2 weeks to get up to 15 minutes!
    (then all it took was some young dude staring me down, waiting for the machine, to get me to do 45 min-but that is a different story for a different day:laugh: }

I am so proud of you for challenging yourself. You are doing an amazing job of changing your lifestyle!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    the same thing happened to me .... a few weeks ago i thought id try the elliptical and i could only do like 5 minutes..... and like 3 weeks later im up to 35 minutes on level 3 :wink:
    we are awesome ... rock on girl :)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Good for you! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I know the elliptical can be intimidating! The key is to start low and slowly work up. You will be surprised at how fast your endurance increases! And then it will take a lot to get you winded! :happy:
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    WAY TO GO!!!
    That is sooo great!!:drinker: I too am working toward getting off the BP meds! You give me hope!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    congrats, that is so great. Keep up the great work.
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Great tackle!! I remember also like many of us when we first started to use the elliptical, I couldn't do 10 minutes and hated it but I made sure I would do a little at a time. Now I can do 40 minutes of various pre-set routines on it (working my way up to 60 minutes). You can do it, a little at a time girl! :flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Good for you! :flowerforyou:

That's still my goal, to get on the elliptical... But I've done it a few times and 5 mins is my max and I'm just dyin'! I did find another one within the gym (seems like there's only 1 of this kind) and it was easier to do my 5 mins on it to 'warm up' before doing weights... so I might start out on that one and work my way up to the others. Problem with that one is, it says after 5 mins I had burned 9 calories? I think NOT... LOL
  • congrats! keep it up, for sure.

i will tell you one thing and while this is my personal experience, some of my friends have told me it rings true for them as well. DO NOT QUIT THE ELLIPTICAL. it's not like riding a back, at least it wasn't for me. i decided to do treadmill/bike for 2 weeks and once i got back on the elliptical, it was like starting all over again.

my favorite thing to do is play around with the levels/resistance. it's like a fun challenge for me. i go between 4-9 and alternate each level for just a minute and it's definitely helped with the endurance.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    that is great!!!
  • jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Thans for all the great comments and support, you all ROCK!!!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!