My hair decides when I work out.

Options
Well damn I didn't plan that very well. Skipped my workout last night due to a state of just general overexhaustion and hunger, on the proviso that today I shall do 60+ mins of full body circuit stuff.

But I have just gotten my hair done and blown out! I can't get sweaty today- not now 😣 Men have it so easy, or gals with short easy maintenance hair.

My workout routine is often dictated mostly by my hair washing/doing schedule lol. I was going to try a quick cardio video before my appointment this morning but I don't like to wash my hair beforehand cuz I feel like if I'm getting highlights done I'm armed with just a little more protection from damage if I have some natural hair oils around then the first time I did it with my hair totally stripped of oils but freshly shampooed.

So I wasn't going to get all sweaty and then go to the hair salon like that, eww.

Now that I'm home I don't want to get sweaty cuz I want my hair to look nice for a couple days.

Thank God for dry shampoo on normal days but there are times where my exercise plans and shampooing schedule just do not align and one has to give.

Replies

• eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Actually I do swim a lot - and I need to wash after every swim, so I do need to schedule my swims and around my showering and hair washing - but since I was my hair once a day it's not that big of a deal.

I have long hair. I wash it, I brush it. It's done. Sometimes I wear a ponytail. Sometimes I wear a bun. That's it.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Well damn I didn't plan that very well. Skipped my workout last night due to a state of just general overexhaustion and hunger, on the proviso that today I shall do 60+ mins of full body circuit stuff.

But I have just gotten my hair done and blown out! I can't get sweaty today- not now 😣 Men have it so easy, or gals with short easy maintenance hair.

My workout routine is often dictated mostly by my hair washing/doing schedule lol. I was going to try a quick cardio video before my appointment this morning but I don't like to wash my hair beforehand cuz I feel like if I'm getting highlights done I'm armed with just a little more protection from damage if I have some natural hair oils around then the first time I did it with my hair totally stripped of oils but freshly shampooed.

So I wasn't going to get all sweaty and then go to the hair salon like that, eww.

Now that I'm home I don't want to get sweaty cuz I want my hair to look nice for a couple days.

Thank God for dry shampoo on normal days but there are times where my exercise plans and shampooing schedule just do not align and one has to give.

100% lady

A blow out by my stylist is a $65 service. If I get a cut or highlights, its included. No way in hell will I be purposely sweating while maxing out that blow out.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Go GI Jane. Shave it off. Thank me later.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

You have no idea how many days this seems like the best choice. Except I cant be bald, my head has dents...but a wig...YES!!!
  • jaybirdaz79
    jaybirdaz79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, Justine! I know what you mean, but my situation is backwards. My workouts dictate when I wash my hair. I work out every other day after work, so afterward, I shower and wash my hair that night. Next day, no gym, shower but no need to wash hair. Next day, my hair is getting a bit dirtier, go to gym, then shower and wash hair. So, the gym schedule is actually keeping my hair from drying out from over washing. Win win! :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I feel very unfeminine asking this but wth is a blow out? Other than the tire mishap, which I'm guessing isn't what's meant here.
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Tankiscool wrote: »

You have no idea how many days this seems like the best choice. Except I cant be bald, my head has dents...but a wig...YES!!!

It's soo easy to deal with! I really wish I would have done it sooner. Even though I'm pondering of growing mine out. My coworker is betting me I can't and I want to prove her wrong, gonna use lent as an excuse even though I'm not catholic xD

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I feel very unfeminine asking this but wth is a blow out? Other than the tire mishap, which I'm guessing isn't what's meant here.

You know Pauly d? that haircut is called a blow out but urban dictionary has different meaning

People pay good money to have someone else do that to their hair?? On purpose? :o
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Hair, a topic that has been and still is very talked about. Questions like curly or straight, beach waves or messy bun are everywhere, but let us go deeper than just the “do” we are getting. Let’s talk about how our hair helps us, why it suits us and why it is that most of us have a different perspective about our own hair, which was specifically chosen for us. We’ll talk about all hair types, from curly to straight and all those others in between, and also why some of us are not happy with our natural type.

What Is Hair?

Defining hair is quite a difficult thing since many people see hair as different things, but let us concentrate this explanation of hair: hair is made of water and something called keratin , and are held together by a binding mediator. Hair as we see it, is just a stand of, well, hair, but under a microscope, JustReadTheInstructions hair is much more and made up of many layers. The first layer would be the cuticle and that is what protects the hair itself from becoming damaged due to its thickness, while still being very flexible.

The next layer would be the cortex which consists of long twisted fibers that come to make a rope. These fibers allow for easy stretching and styling to occur. It is here also where the color of the hair is determined due to pigments, melanin, who in turn gives brown or black; and pheomelanin, which of course would give red or yellow. A third layer would be a medulla which is just the center of the hair chute.

There are also three type of human hair throughout our bodies called: primary, secondary, and tertiary. Primary hair are those that are very fine, helps with temperature control by sweat, and is found almost everywhere on our bodies except on our lips, palms, soles of our feet, and on our eyelids.

I must've missed meseek... is a thespian somewhere 😂

I'm trying to talk about hair bro. :)
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i have short curly hair. when i'm at the gym my hair is in a headband . i don't wear makeup or fancy gym gear. i get it done and i'm out. when i have to be presentable i wet my hair, scrunch it and i'm done. my hair doesn't dictate anything because it doesn't define who i am or when i work out
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Having red hair, I can’t wash it everyday so I have to plan my workout schedule around my hair wash days. It’s a pain in the bum, I feel ya.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have long, high maintenance hair (naturally curly, so it requires a lot of time-wasting nonsense). I definitely would be the same and skip a workout if I just got my hair done, BUT most days I just let it sweat and say screw it. Dry shampoo and sweat bands are my best friends these days.

• LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get it. I’m a licensed cosmetologist plus I have a daughter in beauty school. A good hair day is really magnified by a great salon style. Blow out here usually refers to a temporary straightening treatment- a little more involved than just a typical blow-dry style, often an upcharge, so definitely something to ‘protect’ and keep nice for as many days as possible.
    OP, ask your stylist about getting your color done right after a shampoo. They might recommend a leave-in conditioner or something so you don’t have to wait for a day or two after washing, then you can come straight from the gym!

There’s gotta be a good solution so you can look and feel your best!

I work part time, and have a 2-3 hr break in the middle of the day. I could go to the gym, but I don’t want to do my hair and makeup twice every day. I’ve been wondering if a light slower walk on the treadmill might be OK enough so that I’m not getting sweaty but still getting some movement in on my break. My work schedule makes it so that I miss my favorite group/dance fitness classes and I need to do more than the one night/week to shake these last few pounds.
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    I get it. My hair rules my life. It threatens to consume me in my sleep. It has taken my skull hostage. It follows me everywhere...

Weird. Almost like it's attached to you?

myze0h4cj422.gif
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have long, thick, blonde hair, and I feel like the light color makes it show oiliness more so than if it were darker. Also, any products I put on it (this is a rare thing for me) show up more so than it would in darker hair. So, I wash my hair and blow dry it everyday. Just shampooing, picking out tangles, and blow drying is a pain with the amount of hair I have, but I don't have to make any more fuss over it after that. So, I wash my hair everyday, and my hair doesn't really get any say in my workout schedule. I guess I'm lucky in that because I can see how hair could complicate workout scheduling for some people.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had never considered this as an issue for others. Mind blown.