Any vegans or vegetarians out here?

Options
Hi all! I am super new to this/tracking...I have always known that I need to have more protein in my diet but never quite realized how little I was getting. Also, not eating meat (or eggs, really) and not being a super fan of seafood either, I am SERIOUSLY struggling to meet my protein goals. And most vegan protein sources are quite high in fat, which puts me at my”fat” goals far before I have come even close to having sufficient protein, if that makes sense.

Any hi protein, lower fat vegan foods that you can share? I am already doing one protein drink but might have to up that to two...

I’d appreciate any advice/thoughts/recommendations that you might have. Hope you are well.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've found that beans, tofu, tempeh, and seitan are pretty reasonable for fat content. Can you share what range you're looking for when it comes to fat content?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I always recommend the thread below to people who want to increase protein. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories.

If you want vegetarian sources, you'll need to scroll down past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the list, but the plant sources are in there. It helped me when I was starting on MFP (I'm vegetarian).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Another tip I'd suggest is to review your food log, and notice foods that have relatively many calories, but that aren't contributing anything to your protein goal. Would it be possible for you to reduce or eliminate some of those foods, and use the freed-up calories to eat something else you enjoy that would bring you a bit more protein?

It's good to get that "one big protein source" in each meal, but it's also helpful in addition to get small amounts of protein from varied foods along the way. Those small amounts add up, over the course of a day.
  • littlesazz
    littlesazz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils and peas!
  • littlesazz
    littlesazz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, chia seeds, maybe a vegan protein powder like hemp or pea?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Silk Nut Milk Protein Blend (10 grams per cup). Vegetarian (not vegan): cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. :)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Mentioned seitan, but noticed it was already mentioned.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In addition to the things mentioned earlier, TVP is fat free and vegan.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm pescetarian but I only eat fish about once a week, and I haven't been eating eggs that much lately either, and I usually get over 90g of protein per day which is more than enough for someone my size according to every legitimate source. Once I started eating less junk food I found that it was easier to eat more protein because I wasn't wasting calories on sugary or fried things as much. What kinds of foods are you eating now that are boosting the fat content so much? Most legumes and grains have very little fat content by themselves.

I recommend getting some lentil or chickpea pasta (pasta made from lentil or chickpea flour). It is very high in protein, much easier to prepare than dried legumes (you can even make it in the microwave if you don't have access to a stove), and tastes very good. It also has little to no fat. I eat it multiple times a week.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Copaiba wrote: »
    Vegan. Constantly trying to up my protein but stay with whole foods, not too processed. And lose weight so, 1200 calories or under...sigh...
    Kitchari is an Indian stew made with split mung beans and yellow split peas. I’ll make a giant pot of it and freeze in single servings to have as lunch. Mung beans are very high protein.
    Tonight I made lentil stew. Again, a giant pot so I can freeze.

OH! Could you please share your Kitchari recipe, please?!?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Copaiba wrote: »
    Vegan. Constantly trying to up my protein but stay with whole foods, not too processed. And lose weight so, 1200 calories or under...sigh...
    Kitchari is an Indian stew made with split mung beans and yellow split peas. I’ll make a giant pot of it and freeze in single servings to have as lunch. Mung beans are very high protein.
    Tonight I made lentil stew. Again, a giant pot so I can freeze.

Why so low calories? Are you already at the lower end of the healthy BMI range?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Newer pescetarian here. Pulling up one of my tracked days from this week (on cronometer), I hit around 82g of protein (over my daily recommended). That day I ate 3oz of shrimp and then the rest was vegetarian fare-

Season's Choice, Mixed Fruit, Strawberries, Pineapple, Mango & Peaches (frozen mixed fruit, 1 serving)
    Simply nature knock your sprouts (2 slices whole grains bread)
    Aldi-Happy Farms, Spreadable Cheese Wedges (2 wedges)
    Chobani, Greek Yogurt, Non-Fat (1 single serve container, added to my green smoothie)
    Uncle Ben's, Ready Whole Grain Medley (1 cup)
    Season's Choice, Steamed California Medley (1 whole steamer bag)
    Savoritz, Original Thin Wheat Crackers (1 serving/16 crackers)
    Bananas, Raw (4oz)
    Spinach, Frozen, Chopped or Leaf, Unprepared (2oz)
    Kale, Frozen, Unprepared (1oz)
    Sea Queen, Medium Cooked Shrimp (3oz)
    Fusia, Asian Inspirations, Teriyaki Asian Sauce (3tbsp)
    Meijer, Soy Sauce (.5tbsp)
    bean trio (I mix canned baked beans with several cans of other kinds of beans: 1/2c serving)
    Small Curd Pasteurized Cottage Cheese (1/2c)

• Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Until I’m sure I know how to get back here, my kitchari changes depending on my taste buds but I use the recipe on The Elephant Journal as a reference.
    Not doing oil but knowing that some spices are more bio available with it, I’ll start by sizzling in 1 tsp olive oil: 1/2 tbsp brown mustard seeds, 1/2 tbsp whole coriander, 1 tsp cumin ( cuz I don’t like it to overpower), 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds, 2 tbsp chopped or minced ginger
    Then I add 1 of the 3 non-starchy vegetables I have chosen, maybe green beans, 1 1/2 cups chopped, and add more spices: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cardamom , 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp asafoetida.
    Then I’ll add 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots and 1 1/2 cups chopped cauliflower or turnips or whatever.
    Then I add 1 cup split yellow peas, 1 cup split mung beans, and 1 cup rice or quinoa, all of which I have soaked either overnight or for at least 6 hours and rinsed very well.
    Then add 6 cups of water (or more if it seems like it needs it), bring to a gentle boil and simmer covered for an hour or so. Should be the texture of soft porridge.
    Salt, pepper of your choice, and chopped fresh cilantro if you have it.
    I usually let it sit on the stove covered a little after it seems done to cool it off before packaging and freezing.
  • Myopusbike
    Myopusbike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you should add edamame, good quality source of protein and calories are perfect.
  • annamariez1964
    annamariez1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    margotmarx wrote: »
    I am SERIOUSLY struggling to meet my protein goals. And most vegan protein sources are quite high in fat, which puts me at my”fat” goals far before I have come even close to having sufficient protein, if that makes sense.

Any hi protein, lower fat vegan foods that you can share? I am already doing one protein drink but might have to up that to two...

I’d appreciate any advice/thoughts/recommendations that you might have. Hope you are well.

I am having the same problem! I don't eat any soy products either. I have tons of carbs and proteins available to me today but no fat left and I still need to eat dinner.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Myopusbike wrote: »
    you should add edamame, good quality source of protein and calories are perfect.
    I would and could....no fear of soy here!...but have been happy with 16.5 g of protein per serving here.

• Beaster_Bunny
    Beaster_Bunny Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What are your goals for protein and what do you plan to achieve? What do you think ideal protein goals are? Are you just looking to lose fat? Are you looking to gain strength and muscle?
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I seriously struggle too. Always have done even before I was a veggie. Protein has never been my strong point. I try to eat quorn fillets or quorn mince in and started buying alpro go pro soya yogurts but they're around £1 per pot :| so don't often get them but been starting to buy them for after I've exercised.
  • LaurasaurusF
    LaurasaurusF Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I wonder if we need as much protein as MFP says we do? I was reading up today on MyFitnessPals' dietary goals. Looks like they've recently upped the % of calories from protein they recommend everyone eat in a day. I just stick to the low end of the guidelines, which for me is still 70g of protein. This article from the documentary forks over knives has a different opinion on the subject if you're curious https://www.forksoverknives.com/do-vegetarians-and-vegans-eat-enough-protein/#gs.JOukZsBE
    I've been vegan or vegetarian for at least 10 years. My recommendation is experiment & record what you're doing to find out what amount of protein makes you, personally, feel satisfied & strong. I encourage you to seek out a variety of plant based sources for protein, not just processed soy and wheat gluten (many many vegan products are based on these two ingredients). Lots of whole grains, legumes, & nuts are great sources of protein. Even fruits & greens have small amounts that carnivores don't often think about but for veggies like us they really can add up. Good luck!