Helpful tips for a big bloke starting out?

Options
Jonno_83
Jonno_83 Posts: 11 Member
What it says on the fin really.
I’m starting this journey tomorrow. Not drunk a drop of booze for 27 days now (aiming for 100, and after that a big change in social drinking habits) but need to start on my food. I eat because I’m bored and have no hobbies that don’t involve alcohol or food. Find myself healthier when working than the weekends but need to change it all up.
Not interested in short term diets, but long term paradigm shifts when it comes to eating

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Find something that gets you out of the house or otherwise prevents you being bored :)
  • asiaholifield981
    asiaholifield981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have short term goals eg daily,weekly and monthly etc helps to stay on track also plan ahead write tomorrow's food in that way it's easier to stick to bit more of a mental tip 😀
  • Jonno_83
    Jonno_83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to finding it harder to stay in a calorie deficit on the weekend than during the week but there are a couple of strategies that I use to deal with this.

1. Bank calories. I know my calorie intake is usually 200-400 higher over the weekend so I take this into account during the week. Building in an extra 50-100 calorie deficit during the week to account for the higher weekends.
    2. Plan. I used to go much more over on weekends and had to reign in it a bit. I realised that part of the reason was that while during the week I had most of my food in take was very much routine (same kinda stuff at the same time and whatnot) on weekends I was kind of winging it. So I started to have a rough plan going into the weekend which let me relax my eating a little bit but not go hog wild. Nothing to strict, just things like, I'll probably have x for lunch and y for dinner on Saturday. Even if I didn't stick to what I planned it turned weekend eating a little more mindful which was a huge help.

As for the boredom thing, can't really help too much there other than to say find something to occupy yourself.
    Maybe:
    - try some stuff you'd never thought of before (have you ever tried knitting or crocheting??).
    - find something an subject matter that you find interesting but you don't know much about and become an expert on that topic
    - improve your skill set. There are tonnes of free study resources online so use your spare time to learn something that might improve your professional life. Or just study something interesting for your own gratification.

I don't really subscribe to the notion that a pastime necessarily needs to be productive. Binge watch TV shows or delve into a YouTube click-hole if you want. As long as it keeps you occupied and engaged then go for it.