Controlled Cravings

Options
I simply can't use portion control on certain foods I crave. I can't stop eating them so eliminate them from my diet. Then I crave them, binge then I'm over my calories. How do I get off the merry go round?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods I can't have in my house, because I really really like them, and I haven't had good success with eating them in moderation. So I buy single servings, when I'm out, *or* I buy 1 of whatever the bigger serving is, and plan it in very, very carefully.

Like, peanut butter. I could happily sit and eat it with a spoon, but it's super calorie dense, so it's a definite Sometimes Treat. So instead, I buy the little packets of Justin's or Barney butter, and will have *one* of those if I'm really craving it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I simply can't use portion control on certain foods I crave. I can't stop eating them so eliminate them from my diet. Then I crave them, binge then I'm over my calories. How do I get off the merry go round?

I'm the same way. I generally stay away from cereal and granola because I can't quite limit myself there. Moderation of those items just doesn't work from me. Potato chips are up in that category too (although corn chips I can easily manage).

The only way I've found to beat it is to not keep those foods in the house. Just know that you aren't alone!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Another thing for if they are hunger induced binges: Be sure to keep your protien levels up. I find if I'm not getting enough protien my hunger is elevated, and I want to reach for all the things I'm craving. If I'm getting enough protien (especially for my first meal), I find I'm not as hungry. If I'm not as hungry I don't get cravings as bad. And I can moderate a little better too. Also, if I'm really craving a thing, and it will put me over goal, I usually just bring my goal to maintenance and fit it in that way. A day of maintenance (or slightly over) today is better then a big blow over later.

The bolded needs emphasized again. Eating at maintenance calories now and again won't hurt anything, and will actually help if it keeps you on track in the long run.

That's why I always suggest to people that they figure out what their maintenance calories are. Mine are ~2400 calories per day. For weight loss, I usually target 1800 calories per day. If I overeat a bit, and hit 2100 calories one day, no big deal I'm still in a (smaller) deficit. Before, when I didn't know what my maintenance calories were, that 2100 calories would have caused a freak out and likely a binge well beyond 2400 calories.

Yes, it does. Also needing to be emphasized is the part about identifying the type of craving. One due to actual hunger was just addressed, however, if it is due to boredom, anxiety, sadness, etc. then the craving needs to be diverted by other means and the cycle of "bad feeling = eat to stifle the feeling" needs to be broken.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great responses. Very helpful and insightful
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,416 Member
    Options
    Another thing for if they are hunger induced binges: Be sure to keep your protien levels up. I find if I'm not getting enough protien my hunger is elevated, and I want to reach for all the things I'm craving. If I'm getting enough protien (especially for my first meal), I find I'm not as hungry. If I'm not as hungry I don't get cravings as bad. And I can moderate a little better too. Also, if I'm really craving a thing, and it will put me over goal, I usually just bring my goal to maintenance and fit it in that way. A day of maintenance (or slightly over) today is better then a big blow over later.

The bolded needs emphasized again. Eating at maintenance calories now and again won't hurt anything, and will actually help if it keeps you on track in the long run.

That's why I always suggest to people that they figure out what their maintenance calories are. Mine are ~2400 calories per day. For weight loss, I usually target 1800 calories per day. If I overeat a bit, and hit 2100 calories one day, no big deal I'm still in a (smaller) deficit. Before, when I didn't know what my maintenance calories were, that 2100 calories would have caused a freak out and likely a binge well beyond 2400 calories.

I really need to get my *kitten* in gear. My maintenance is also 2400 or so and I outweigh you by a good 100lbs probably *sigh*

I swear, as soon as I get cleared by my surgeon, I need to restart at least bodyweight exercises, although my husband works from home now and I liked flinging my flab around more when I was alone. He absolutely wouldn't comment other than encouragement maybe, it's definitely a me issue.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It helps me to substitute lower calorie foods which scratch the same itch. For example, instead of ice cream I have Greek yogurt with berries and cacao powder. Instead of chips I have sliced salted radishes. Because I am diabetic some of the foods I used to love aren't helpful to my health even in moderate amounts, and tiny amounts of say pizza just make me sad, so I avoid those foods altogether.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods like doughnuts and french bread that I have to cut completely from my diet. I just can't control myself. But there are other things like chips that I can leave in the kitchen so when I get up I have one. I never bring them into the living room or I eat the whole bag. So it just depends on what it is.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This afternoon I was out with 5 friends, after bowling they decided to go to McDonald's for snacks, all ordered chips or burgers or frozen drinks... I ordered a bottle of water and asked a friend for 3 chips - craving met ✔️
    hunger/thistle met ✔️
    calorie goal kept ✔️
    #proud
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When i eat out i will just get like a burger as it has meat and salad in it and not get the shake or the chips. But i like Sushi and would go for Sushi if available.
  • an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I get a salad or otherwise maybe a burger but take to top bun off so it's half the bread - makes you feel less bloated and you've wasted less calories
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This is like 50% of why I run. On a run day I have more calories to work with and can actually get a decent amount of whatever food I’m craving.

I’ll also occasionally give myself a screw it day and just have what I want and forget the calories. One day every once in awhile (like once every other month or so) isn’t going to derail my diet and I find that it keeps me from going totally overboard because I’m not trying to ignore my cravings until my willpower breaks.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I really try to replace foods I crave for a healthier or lower calorie option. Also I try not to buy certain foods and bring them into the house so if I’m craving a chocolate bar or something so bad and my healthy replacement won’t fix it I have to leave the house.
    But also I buy 100 calorie bag of chips and I eat those sense my chip craving is the hardest to replace.
    I guess that what I’m saying is you just have to try to make better choices and lower your portions and it gets easier.