Veganism and Weightloss

I’m new to the vegan lifestyle and decided to make the change for health reasons. However, I notice that I’m extremely hungry now. Any tips on how to remedy this?

Replies

• somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    It'll take some experimenting. In general, higher protein foods are supposed to be more filling. Fattier foods maybe if it's in your calorie budget.

Me personally, I like those lentil and chickpea pastas. They're very high in protein. I mix them with veggies and vegan cheese and bake in the oven. Comfort food.
  • shun4c
    shun4c Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you so much for that especially since I have been eyeing those oastas but too afraid to try. What types of veggies are usually your go-tos for the pasta dishes?
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Sweet peas are my #1. Sometimes I'll add sauteed onions, corn, green beans. Also zucchini is nice.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    What is your current deficit? You may not be eating enough?
    That being said protein and fiber will be your friend when it comes to fullness cues. Seitan, tempeh, tofu, peas, beans are good sources of both.
  • shun4c
    Right now my deficit is between 300 and 500 calories per day with the total goal (as per MFP’s calculations) of about 1770 calories per day.
  • cathipa
    What does your current day of eating look like? Saying you are vegan only means you avoid animal products but even Oreos are vegan.
  • shun4c
    Mornings I typically do oatmeal or an açaí Bowl. For lunch I have some veggies with rice and for dinner I’ll have some type of veggie, salad, or soup. Snacks are typically fruits or popcorn.
  • cathipa
    Not knowing portion sizes this sounds less than 1770 cal a day. Are you weighing your food and using correct entries?
  • shun4c
    Yes, I am. I’m thinking I might—as you suggested—need to incorporate more beans (protein) and fiber in my meals throughout the day.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Needs more protein and a bit more fat it seems. What did your macros come to?
    Don't know your portions but fiber seems fine. You're eating fiber every meal plus fruit.
    Aside from protein suggestions above, fake meats like Gardein and Beyond Meat can be very helpful to up protein in some meals and provide satiation without upping fiber too much, and some are not too bad in terms of calories.
  • LaurasaurusF
    LaurasaurusF Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2019
    Hello! Welcome veggie friend. I mean this in the kindest way; I recommend learning to cook if you don't know how. Veganism will be so much more enjoyable that way & I would have had a hard time following a vegan/vegetarian at certain times liftestyle for so long if I didn't cook. I also recommend following some websites to get you inspired and out of the soy product box. I don't think soy's always bad, there's just so much out there to explore. Here's some ideas to start:

1. https://www.forksoverknives.com/do-vegetarians-and-vegans-eat-enough-protein/#gs.JOukZsBE
    2. https://minimalistbaker.com/
    3. https://thekindlife.com/blog/category/recipes
    4. https://www.theppk.com/

Try to look for chances to add stuff to your food- like add some ground flax, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, cocao nibs, peanut butter, or banana to your oatmeal. I like to measure out my oatmeal add ins the night before so I can just toss them in the bowl in the morning without having to think about it in a pre-coffee state. See if you can add more nutrition to your meals by swapping out white rice for brown or for something like quinoa, bulgar, barley, or amaranth. Add a protein to go with your snack like a nut butter or hummus.

To stay full I encourage you to focus on eating whole grains, squashes, legumes, seeds & nuts, fresh or frozen veg & whole fruit. Your diet will probably include more fat than you're used to adding to your food, but remember that now most of your food (obs not nuts & seeds) are nearly fat free, so its okay to add a little! Hope this is helpful! Cheers!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of vegan meals.

I will concur that focusing on fiber and protein will likely improve your feelings of satiety. Pinterest can really be your friend here for bean and vegetable recipes. A lot of them are easy one pot meals. If time is a factor, there are tons for slow cookers or Instant Pots too!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2019
    shun4c wrote: »
    Mornings I typically do oatmeal or an açaí Bowl. For lunch I have some veggies with rice and for dinner I’ll have some type of veggie, salad, or soup. Snacks are typically fruits or popcorn.

Are you getting enough protein? I find it can be very easy to miss my protein goals if my meals are centered on grains and vegetables (depending on the vegetables chosen). Some people find that protein helps control their appetite so it might be worth focusing on getting more in your daily meals.

It might also be worth looking at how much fat you're getting. I personally find that a low fat diet isn't satisfying to me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    When starting out I'd really advise sticking to the same foods you ate before but changed slightly to make them vegan. Switch the protein sources, switch the fat sources etc, keep the macros and calories roughly the same (although you may find there's more carbs and fibre naturally) as opposed to going for completely different now plant based meals. Carbs are great, but protein tends to be more satiating.

I think what a lot of people do when they go vegan is everything changes, especially when health is the main concern...the macro ratio may end up completely different, which isn't a bad thing itself but not only can it make it harder to adjust to and stick with long term but and it can be easier to eat less calories (not always as I gained weight - ha!) Vegan junk food aside, whole plant foods on average tend to be less calorically dense that a lot of meat and dairy so depending on what vegan foods you're eating your caloric intake can drop, meaning you'll need to eat more volume or add some extra high calorie plant foods.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    When starting out I'd really advise sticking to the same foods you ate before but changed slightly to make them vegan. Switch the protein sources, switch the fat sources etc, keep the macros and calories roughly the same (although you may find there's more carbs and fibre naturally) as opposed to going for completely different now plant based meals. Carbs are great, but protein tends to be more satiating.

I think what a lot of people do when they go vegan is everything changes, especially when health is the main concern...the macro ratio may end up completely different, which isn't a bad thing itself but not only can it make it harder to adjust to and stick with long term but and it can be easier to eat less calories (not always as I gained weight - ha!) Vegan junk food aside, whole plant foods on average tend to be less calorically dense that a lot of meat and dairy so depending on what vegan foods you're eating your caloric intake can drop, meaning you'll need to eat more volume or add some extra high calorie plant foods.
  • shun4c
    This is so helpful! I cook just not as much as I’d like. I’m going to spend some time looking through the websites you’ve given. I believe I also have to turn this into an opportunity to explore and discovery new ways of eating...that might also help me become unstuck and consuming filling meals.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Like yourself I am new to plant based diet, and decided to do so after I was diagnosed with hypertension, and extremely high cholesterol. I have been following this dietary change for about 6 weeks , and it has been absolutely life changing for me, as my hypertension is gone, and my cholesterol is back to a normal level. My whole life I had been a heavy meat eater, and the thought of going plant based never crossed my mind. I have to say that the first week was really tough because I realized pretty quickly that I was going to have a lot more time in the kitchen and grocery store, but the thing that absolutely has blown me away in eating this way is the fact that I never have to starve myself like you do when you are carrying out traditional diets. I am constantly grazing and eating, and the weight is coming off every week. Below are a few things that I did, that may help you.

1- I researched and read as much as I could before starting, and continue to do so everyday, there are a ton of plant based doctors, and plant based influencers that have many YouTube videos that will help you understand from the nutrition side, as well as give you many ideas on great meals. But given your original question of being hungry, specifically go look up Jeff Novick and Calorie Density, as my first thought was that you may not be utilizing the fruits and veggies to your advantage. Jeff Novick also has a few videos on how to shop on a plant based diet and tips on making quick healthy meals, and I have found his information very helpful.

2 - Cooking, and meal prep are not optional, this was the absolute hardest thing to change for me as it required me to make time in my busy schedule for an activity I had really never done. Every work day, I get up an hour early to make my breakfast, and prep all food that will be taken with me for lunch and snacks through the day. When I get home it’s time to cook. In my completely uneducated opinion, if you are not cooking and preparing your food, you will have no choice but to become a junk food vegan and to me that is not sustainable or healthy, and you will be left feeling hungry.

3 - As previously mentioned, legumes, and starches will definitely help. Beans and rice, with a large side of steamed broccoli and bell peppers are one of my favourites. I think when going to plant based, you have to get your head around new food combinations as were so use to having the meat as the main, and the sides are the starches or legumes, where as now they are the main.

4 - Lastly as one previous member mentioned, this is a drastic change in your eating habits, if you are having trouble adapting, then do it over time to allow your body and mind to adapt. Maybe you give up all processed meats and read meats for the first month, then move on to chicken, fish and dairy.

Good luck on the journey

• janejellyroll
    Dgil1975 wrote: »
    Like yourself I am new to plant based diet, and decided to do so after I was diagnosed with hypertension, and extremely high cholesterol. I have been following this dietary change for about 6 weeks , and it has been absolutely life changing for me, as my hypertension is gone, and my cholesterol is back to a normal level. My whole life I had been a heavy meat eater, and the thought of going plant based never crossed my mind. I have to say that the first week was really tough because I realized pretty quickly that I was going to have a lot more time in the kitchen and grocery store, but the thing that absolutely has blown me away in eating this way is the fact that I never have to starve myself like you do when you are carrying out traditional diets. I am constantly grazing and eating, and the weight is coming off every week. Below are a few things that I did, that may help you.

1- I researched and read as much as I could before starting, and continue to do so everyday, there are a ton of plant based doctors, and plant based influencers that have many YouTube videos that will help you understand from the nutrition side, as well as give you many ideas on great meals. But given your original question of being hungry, specifically go look up Jeff Novick and Calorie Density, as my first thought was that you may not be utilizing the fruits and veggies to your advantage. Jeff Novick also has a few videos on how to shop on a plant based diet and tips on making quick healthy meals, and I have found his information very helpful.

2 - Cooking, and meal prep are not optional, this was the absolute hardest thing to change for me as it required me to make time in my busy schedule for an activity I had really never done. Every work day, I get up an hour early to make my breakfast, and prep all food that will be taken with me for lunch and snacks through the day. When I get home it’s time to cook. In my completely uneducated opinion, if you are not cooking and preparing your food, you will have no choice but to become a junk food vegan and to me that is not sustainable or healthy, and you will be left feeling hungry.

3 - As previously mentioned, legumes, and starches will definitely help. Beans and rice, with a large side of steamed broccoli and bell peppers are one of my favourites. I think when going to plant based, you have to get your head around new food combinations as were so use to having the meat as the main, and the sides are the starches or legumes, where as now they are the main.

4 - Lastly as one previous member mentioned, this is a drastic change in your eating habits, if you are having trouble adapting, then do it over time to allow your body and mind to adapt. Maybe you give up all processed meats and read meats for the first month, then move on to chicken, fish and dairy.

Good luck on the journey

There are self-identified "junk food vegans" who have been vegan for years and years, so it's apparently sustainable for at least some people.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    I guess I should have went a step further to clarify that it is not sustainable for people looking to lose weight, and then maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Technically I could eat vegan and eat 1800 calories of potato ships everyday. I will lose weight, because I am creating a deficit, however I will not be able to sustain that as I am not getting enough food to satiate my appetite, which will eventually cause me to overeat. Goes back to the Calorie Density point.

But nonetheless point taken, I have a relative who has been vegan for many years and keeps sustaining quite well, she is very overweight, and not healthy at all. But she is Vegan not for the healthy food options, but for the environmental and animal rights issues.
  • janejellyroll
    Dgil1975 wrote: »
    I guess I should have went a step further to clarify that it is not sustainable for people looking to lose weight, and then maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Technically I could eat vegan and eat 1800 calories of potato ships everyday. I will lose weight, because I am creating a deficit, however I will not be able to sustain that as I am not getting enough food to satiate my appetite, which will eventually cause me to overeat. Goes back to the Calorie Density point.

But nonetheless point taken, I have a relative who has been vegan for many years and keeps sustaining quite well, she is very overweight, and not healthy at all. But she is Vegan not for the healthy food options, but for the environmental and animal rights issues.

It's challenging to think of any single food diet that would be healthy and sustainable, that doesn't really have anything to do with veganism.

Not all self-identified "junk food vegans" are overweight, by the way. The two options aren't "Prepare all your own food" or "Just eat potato chips."

It's cool that you've found a way to make plant-based dieting work for you and I do agree with you that cooking has value. But there are tons of ways to be vegan and thrive.