Exercising with young children at home...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Yes, a real on-topic question *gasp*

Anyhow, I would really like to get off my lazy *kitten* and would invite ideas for your best tips on making exercise "fit." Particularly, I'd like to couch to 5K. Single mom - can't exactly leave a 5 year old at home to go for a walk/run, go to the gym, etc. and he's too old for a stroller. Is anyone a single parent that's got good advice on this? I don't yet have a treadmill, though I'd love one.

Replies

• CindyLynn28
    CindyLynn28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Take him with you!

My boys are great company and they help keep me motivated with impromptu races. Since you're doing couch to 5K, you guys could race during the run sections. Have you given any consideration to workout DVDs? I bought a couple for when we can't get out of the house and really enjoy them.

Good luck!
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    AWWW I feel for ya because I used to be in the same boat....I have now a 8 yr old and a 6 yr old...and what we did was ....5 miles 5 days a week for about 3 months then we had to go to 3 miles as they didnt want to go.
    How we did it was my boys got to take their dogs for a walk and the dogs LOVED it and my boys knew this...we also let them ride the bikes the scooter...even their 4 wheeler...I hope that gives you a few ideas
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I seriously never considered taking him with on a "real" walk *LOL* I can honestly say I don't think it would do me much good. Perhaps when he starts biking, though! That's a good idea.

DVD suggestions?? I had bought a few just... hated them :) But really need to get moving, so bring it.
  • CLynnette
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old...there's no way I can go out and work out with them...and I can't leave them at home. So I do POPpilates here at home! You can find her (Cassey- the instructor) on youtube and/or facebook (Facebook.com/blogilates)
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you take him with you and get to the point that he can't keep up, you could have him ride a bike while you run.
  • ArareRed
    Options
    I'm a single mom as well with a 4, 6, 8 year olds at home and a full-time job. I have a gym membership 25 minutes away, but rarely get there because of the job/kids. I finally broke down and bought a Malibu Pilates bench and work out to the DVDs whenever possible. I used to do Pilates reformer at a studio, so I remember a lot of it. Good luck. It is a challenge.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How about a workout DVD? Or look for workout equipment at rummage sales etc. I sold a perfecttly good working stairmaster for 5 bucks at one of my sales because my ex husband bought it for me and it reminded me of him and I associated it with negative thoughts....
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would look in your area for inexpensive drop off daycares. There's a place near me that's called "A Moments Notice" where you can drop your kids off for a few hours (or less) for really cheap. If you have friends or relatives, enlist their help. See if anyone could watch your son while you do your run/walk. Then on off days from Couch to 5K (since its only 3 days a week), do aforementioned DVDs or dance parties with your son. Me and my kids (4 and 3) love to dance around the house, or I give them piggy-back rides and run up and down the hallway - great exercises that really make you sweat AND includes them.

Just some thoughts. HTH!
  • Petunia32
    Options
    What about one of those bikes with a handle so you can push it and it won't tire him out so much? We have one and it's great.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Piggy back rides
  • NYLatinaCR
    Options
    I have 3 babies 9, 2 and 9 months..... Maybe you can find a gym that has a nursery. I go to Synergy.... they have one that's part of my $30 membership. Hope this helps.... BEST OF LUCK!! I know it's hard!!!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I have the kiddo, I work out after he's gone to bed.

Have you tried the Leslie Sansone DVD's? I get a really good workout from her 3- and 4- milers. Love them. If you have Netflix, there are TONS of workouts on there.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Can he ride a scooter? I take my 3 kids on 40minute walks with them on their scooters and me walking (my kids are 7, , & 3). They love to ride and b/c they go pretty fast I'm getting a good workout.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i have four kids at home and at desperate times have ran over two miles in my front yard while they played outside. I used the runkeeper app on my phone to measure the distance. Also workout dvd's come in handy or anything you can do with them. Or jump rope, hula hoop or play ball while they play outside.

I like tae bo,10 min solutions pilates, lots of free videos on exercisetv.com and bodyrocktv

good luck!
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    C25K is great. I do it with my son in a jogging stroller, but I can see how that might not work very well with a 5yr old. I also do the 30 Day Shred DVD at home, which is a great short workout. And sometimes after he goes to bed, I do Wii Just Dance. Is he very active? Maybe you could play a game of keep away with him or get him to start C25K with you. Just take it easy on him and maybe do more walking than running. At least it would be something. And of course, there's always the gyms with kid's clubs if that's within your budget. No matter what though, even if you just do a little bit, it's more than not doing anything. Good luck!
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are there any gyms or rec centers that offer child care in the membership in your area? I know Gold's lets you leave them for 2 hours and our local Lion's Club has a similar option.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    rockstar suggestions! love it! thanks!
  • danimoon67
    danimoon67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I still put my 3 and 4.5 year old in the stroller. They are used to it now, so they don't balk. I pack snacks and drinks and we go. They behave pretty well because they know we usually hit the playground when mom is done exercising. Hoping to get another full year and then some with the double stroller. Because I know once I pack the stroller away it will become much harder to keep a steady pace with them.

Also, there are lots of Wii games that can get both of you up and moving and sweating. My kids like Wii Fit (hula hooping, canoeing, biking, running, etc.) and a couple dance games work up a sweat.

I have a hand me down recumbent bike that when I get on at night after the kids have gone to bed. I didn't think I'd like exercising and working up a sweat at 9 o'clock at night, but it's not bad and actually helps me de-stress at the end of the day.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I have an 18 month old & 4 1/2 year old and babysit a 7 & 11 year old. I send the 3 oldest outside while I exercise & the youngest usually sits in the rocking chair & plays with my phone or eats a sandwich or something. She usually ends up climbing on me as well! I have a Wii & do Jenny McCarthy's Your Shape game for 30 minutes.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you decide on any DVDs, I suggest Zumba because my daughter ends up doing some of it with me. She loves it as much as I do. She went to a Zumbatomic class with her Girl Scout troop and absolutely loved it!